Matt Oakley

Ibby

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some crackers from him on this compilation from 2006-7.

I was sat in the North for the one against West Brom and I was on my feet from the moment it left his boot. I'm not saying that we would have stayed up in 2008 if he and Howard had stayed, but I'm bloody sure we would have picked up more than 11 damned points....

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

There are some crackers from him on this compilation from 2006-7.

I was sat in the North for the one against West Brom and I was on my feet from the moment it left his boot. I'm not saying that we would have stayed up in 2008 if he and Howard had stayed, but I'm bloody sure we would have picked up more than 11 damned points....

Was amazing, for me that game typified our season. We were pretty crap that day but still managed to win the game.

My memory of it it was further out but even so it was along way out.

I was sad when Oakley left more than Howard, the ovation he got when he got subsitutited when playing for Leicester was something i dont think ive seen before or since.

Be nice for him to sign off at Wembley.

Amazed he hasnt scored for Exeter though.

4 hours ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

Howard, Oakley, Barnes, Lupoli ,Bywater, Big Dave, Pesch, both Johnsons, Mo Camara? What wasn't there to like about that side? 

Teale, McEveley, Bob Malcolm, Jon Macken, Fagan, Darren Currie, Camara, Pearson, The Dwarf :lol:

It's a bit disappointing that Derby have completely ignored that team this season on it's tenth anniversary. Regardless of the baggage it's still the only promotion a generation of us have been old enough to witness. 

Such a great team and a good season. It's a shame they struggled so badly in the prem. But i would probably put that down to the poison dwarf and Jewell being completely inept.

Having Oakley around would certainly have done something positive.

Hope he enjoys his retirement a great model professional and dearly loved by many fans derby and leicester alike.

59 minutes ago, cannable said:

It's a bit disappointing that Derby have completely ignored that team this season on it's tenth anniversary. Regardless of the baggage it's still the only promotion a generation of us have been old enough to witness. 

10 year anniversary celebrations for the season we finished 3rd in the 2nd tier and got promoted via the play offs? We're not quite at those levels of tinpottery just yet.

18 minutes ago, Anon said:

10 year anniversary celebrations for the season we finished 3rd in the 2nd tier and got promoted via the play offs? We're not quite at those levels of tinpottery just yet.

Last season there was a feature in every programme for 95/96… in which we finished one place higher… 

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

Last season there was a feature in every programme for 95/96… in which we finished one place higher… 

Now there's a team you could love!!!  Like Oakley, Van Der Laan was a captain the rest of the team would love playing for as they lead by example instead of shouting/ranting at everyone when things went a bit Pete Tonge.  

Our current captain should take note... :ph34r:

Thing I remember most about his goal v west brom was as soon as he picked the ball up the bloke behind me was going ape **** at him to pass it, saying he was too slow, moaning, screaming at him then when he shaped to shoot he went into a whole new level of cretin behaviour about him. When it nearly ripped the net off the posts he sat with his arms folded and didn't even celebrate.

Top fan he was.

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Thing I remember most about his goal v west brom was as soon as he picked the ball up the bloke behind me was going ape **** at him to pass it, saying he was too slow, moaning, screaming at him then when he shaped to shoot he went into a whole new level of cretin behaviour about him. When it nearly ripped the net off the posts he sat with his arms folded and didn't even celebrate.

Top fan he was.

Takes a big man to admit he's wrong. We have quite a lot of small fans it seems.

Archived