Mel interview

Day

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

On the last point, are we going to create a Derby equivalent of Man Ure's MUFCTV or Liverpool's offering?

I think that's the plan, the pre and post matchday live programmes they've broadcast recently are quite promising from their early showings, I've watched the last couple on my phone sat in the pub after the game, and they're not far off TV standard at all.

For those with a YouTube app on TV I'd imagine it looks pretty good.

Maybe we should have a separate thread of the things we'd like to see on RamsTV, I'd imagine sensible ideas would be looked at favourably by the club?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's refreshing to hear an owner write a piece like this - that's what I take from it. Yes he's made mistakes allowing managers to bloat the team and effectively stunt the integration of young ones, but we should commend him for the openness. 

7 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Some of you think that cutting the squad is going to be hard but take a best case scenario:

Martin, Thorne and Forsyth come back- like new signings without a fee. Even Hanson could blossom under GR.

If and I know it's a big if, we can get a fee for the likes of Bent ( I still think he'll leave as Nugent and Martin will be above him), Butterfield, Camara, Olsson, Christie and Weimann plus the odd release like Rawson that will trim the squad enough to allow some new signings.

Looking forward to next season already, why wouldn't I?

Good logic. I share a lot of those thoughts. I think Butters may stay .. I'll bet he has a longish contract and the loss on the original fee would be very high. Add to that I think under Rowett he might have something to offer. It's true a 10 man wolves were weak but he looked effective as a DM and cover for the missing st George.

I want Hanson back .. I think GR can make a real player out of him. He is naive but he has the touch and composure on the ball as well as drive. 

Mixed feelings on Bent. I have huge respect for his ability, finishing and poaching skills but he is now an opportunist and doesn't strike fear in to the hearts of the opposition. Nuge is so much more mobile and a CB's nightmare. Bent is an impact sub at the Alamo. I don't think he can lead the line any more 

if Martin can work with Nuge and Vydra, If Hanson can come of age, if Thorne and Fozzy come back strong we have a top six squad easy. 

Camara and Weiman to go. along with as you say some releases of those not making the grade we are nearly there.

Another thought though .... Weiman .. He is undoubtably skilled so if he becomes a front man rather than wide .. We have Martin and Nugent plus Weiman and Vydra as holders and whippets.

i just don't want us to be paying 4 and 5 million pound fees when we might actually have the tools in the box 

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I don't understand why people question MM. Although I have never spoken to him personally myself, I have spoken to plenty who have. And they say he is very open, very candid and very honest. He also believes in "Kaizen" ( (改善), is the Japanese word for "continuous improvement ". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers.

Looks like he's about to 'improve' the CEO.

kaizen.

4 hours ago, Ninos said:

It's refreshing to hear an owner write a piece like this - that's what I take from it. Yes he's made mistakes allowing managers to bloat the team and effectively stunt the integration of young ones, but we should commend him for the openness. 

But he's said stuff like this in every interview and then gone back on it every time. I.e Clement will be our Ferguson at a fans forum.

He has an addiction and can't make sensible long term decisions behind his addiction.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But he's said stuff like this in every interview and then gone back on it every time. I.e Clement will be our Ferguson at a fans forum.

He has an addiction and can't make sensible long term decisions behind his addiction.

Addiction to what? Hiring and firing?

10 hours ago, Ellafella said:

he does say that. Right at the beginning. I don't understand why people question MM. Although I have never spoken to him personally myself, I have spoken to plenty who have. And they say he is very open, very candid and very honest. And that's what MM says about GR, and maybe there is a chemistry between GR and MM that will give us {the Club} stability. To be fair to MM, previous managers have agreed to become manager and have accepted the givens, then clearly have deviated from the job description ("clearly Plan B became Plan A under Nigel Pearson, " ie Pearson didn't adhere to the vision he set out at interview so he went. And that is what MM has said each time. 

There are many bits of the interview that I like and am excited by; clearly MM is developing and etching in more detail around the Academy and the tiered structure to players, but what most excites me is the disclosure about the level of detail that GR brings eg the bit about Google Drive and the TV screens at Moor Farm. That tells me that GR has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). I don't mean literally and he needs to see a psychiatrist I mean figuratively. To succeed, you need to build "advantage" and "edge"; whilst Mac is a great coach, his vision didn't extend beyond the training pitch. In contrast to GR, who thinks vertically and horizontally about every aspect of the Football Club. He also believes in "Kaizen" ( (改善), is the Japanese word for "continuous improvement ". In business, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers. (My emphasis). This is what excites me most.

I hereby predict, and happy for this to be bookmarked, that we have found a manager in GR who will take this club forward and on to the next level. And because MM and GR think along very similar lines {unlike McClaren, Pearson, Clement}, I predict that their relationship will be a long and productive one. I don't make this prediction lightly out of some sentimental, rose-coloured-spectacled future. I just think that there is a meeting of minds at last that will work together and produce the goods for Derby County. :mellow:

Whilst I get what you're talking about, every little thing can improve a team/Individual by 0.5% a football club is a very different type of business on the field.

For me, it really is simple:

1) Recurit a top manager/Coaching team

2) Recruit top quality players

3) Allow said coaching team to coach players and players produce on the pitch

Points 1, 2 and 3 above will effect the performances 100% better (or worse) on the pitch compared to the 0.5% initiatives off the pitch (Kaizen).

Sadly since Mel has come in, we have had 1 and 2 at separate times, never had point three and definitely never had all of them together.

Look at the successful teams this year in the Prem/Champ, and don't tell me Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and Brighton don't have points 1/2/3 at the same time.

So we are onto another manager, I'm not criticising anyone here bar MM. I hope to god MM can somehow step to the side and let Gary control all aspects to achieve 1/2/3. How good he is on the training ground will determine our long term success, but I pay very little attention personally into gimmicks and more into the coaching of players on the training pitch and how they adapt that onto a Saturday afternoon.

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

Addiction to what? Hiring and firing?

Addiction to meddling, making short term irrational decisions because he isn't patient and Derby County. Hiring and firing is just one of those aspects.

Some are good, training ground development, ground development, I dare say transfer kitty's, but in general, his ownership has bought zero success so far.

I only see Morris getting hounded out the club at some point in the next five years.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Addiction to meddling, making short term irrational decisions because he isn't patient and Derby County. Hiring and firing is just one of those aspects.

Some are good, training ground development, ground development, I dare say transfer kitty's, but in general, his ownership has bought zero success so far.

I only see Morris getting hounded out the club at some point in the next five years.

It's true that each appointment has been hailed as the ultimate answer to all our prayers but I genuinely believe he thought that at the time. Granted he does appear to be trigger happy at the first sign of things going wrong but he definitely wants the same as the rest of us, success for Derby County. Let's just hope he learns from past mistakes or at the very least, stumbles upon a winning formula. Hounding him out of the club is definitely not the answer. His passion for the club is clear for all to see. 

22 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Whilst I get what you're talking about, every little thing can improve a team/Individual by 0.5% a football club is a very different type of business on the field.

For me, it really is simple:

1) Recurit a top manager/Coaching team

2) Recruit top quality players

3) Allow said coaching team to coach players and players produce on the pitch

So 'simple' it makes you wonder why every club in the league doesn't just follow your blueprint for success.

If Derby arent performing on the pitch it doesnt necessarily mean the manager isnt doing his job.Thats why the manager needs a few transfer windows to evaluate GR and for him to get players in he can best work with before wielding the axe. Hope he gets the full season to make a positive impact.

You know what .. Clement apart ( I didn't enjoy the football but still think he should have had longer ) I think Mel has made the right calls. Pearson was a bold decision .. No one realised he was THAT odd .. Thankfully Mel found a way to pull the plug. Mac .. A good coach but I really do think he flat lined. We could have been floundering and talking the same platitudes for ever more. 

i'd like to critisise the recruitment but most of the spending was due injury crises or in support of a new manager .. What was he to do ? Be called timid, all mouth and no trousers, no ambition, slow to react ? 

I hope Gaz is the man .. It feels right. But I am a Mel fan .. Anyone who puts a million quid a month in to the club and wants us to progress is getting my vote. Thank god we have some hope and aren't a financial basket case. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

So 'simple' it makes you wonder why every club in the league doesn't just follow your blueprint for success.

Not every club has the same ultimate goal in reality. So the majority may well be following that process, probably a lot of the clubs who don't fire their managers every six months!

But tell me, do you genuinely believe that Morris approach of hiring and firing (on and off the pitch) is the blueprint for success?

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It's true that each appointment has been hailed as the ultimate answer to all our prayers but I genuinely believe he thought that at the time. Granted he does appear to be trigger happy at the first sign of things going wrong but he definitely wants the same as the rest of us, success for Derby County. Let's just hope he learns from past mistakes or at the very least, stumbles upon a winning formula. Hounding him out of the club is definitely not the answer. His passion for the club is clear for all to see. 

I'm definitely not advocating any kind of hounding. I do believe he genuinely cares for the club and that's where he is different to Oyston/Cellino/SISU/Binetti etc however his strategy isn't working. His comments when said repeatedly hold little value, I almost find his comments cringeworthy now because when they are said so many times, I don't believe them one bit. He will make impulsive decisions (I believe many sackings were built up over weeks, not months) and his desire for instant success will be his major weakness.

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I'm definitely not advocating any kind of hounding. I do believe he genuinely cares for the club and that's where he is different to Oyston/Cellino/SISU/Binetti etc however his strategy isn't working. His comments when said repeatedly hold little value, I almost find his comments cringeworthy now because when they are said so many times, I don't believe them one bit. He will make impulsive decisions (I believe many sackings were built up over weeks, not months) and his desire for instant success will be his major weakness.

Undoubtedly he's made mistakes and if he could turn back the clock then he would probably deal with certain situations differently. We could all do that within our own lives, I'm sure. We are all human after all. Gotta be honest, I don't know the answers to us achieving the ultimate goal. Does anybody, if so please enlighten us or more importantly Mr M. Morris, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL.

Going over old ground but I blame Mel for our decline. He talked a good game, but decisions under his tenure in terms of recruitment, wages and structure have been diobolical.

His input ruined the close-knit mentality we previously had and the Pearson appointment showed a complete lack of footballing knowledge.

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Going over old ground but I blame Mel for our decline. He talked a good game, but decisions under his tenure in terms of recruitment, wages and structure have been diobolical.

His input ruined the close-knit mentality we previously had and the Pearson appointment showed a complete lack of footballing knowledge.

Valid points and hard to find arguments against but what or where are the answers? Very easy to criticise retrospectively and with the benefit of hindsight. In my opinion we should just cut him some slack and hope he learns from the obvious mistakes and gets us to where we wanna be. Gotta admit that the GR appointment didn't really get my juices flowing and I would consider myself on the happy clapper side of the fence. However, barring the Brentford result, we do appear to be moving in the right direction. The DCFC roller coaster is on the ascendancy. Let's hope it stays that way.

Archived