New Speeding Fines

Pearl Ram

Just thought I'd post this as a head's up to those that were unaware new speeding fines come in from Monday 24th April 2017.

I suppose most of you will know about this, I didn't because I've stopped reading the papers and haven't seen it on the television news or mentioned on the forum. 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/19/speeding-fines-are-going-up-next-month-heres-what-you-need-to-know-6520139/

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Just thought I'd post this as a head's up to those that were unaware new speeding fines come in from Monday 24th April 2017.

I suppose most of you will know about this, I didn't because I've stopped reading the papers and haven't seen it on the television news or mentioned on the forum. 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/19/speeding-fines-are-going-up-next-month-heres-what-you-need-to-know-6520139/

I don't see why it should be based on your income. Surely the punishment should be the same for everyone.

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't see why it should be based on your income. Surely the punishment should be the same for everyone.

I suppose they think the present system means little to the wealthy but speeding is speeding whether it's been done by someone in a 12 year old Focus or a brand new Tesla and if anyone is injured because of someone's speeding, why is their salary relevant ? 

3 minutes ago, David said:

How hard is it to stay within the speed limit? I've never been caught speeding on my pushbike, no sympathy for those that do

I've done 35mph downhill into Belper.

i'd love to get a speeding ticket on a push bike. I'd have it framed.

2 hours ago, David said:

How hard is it to stay within the speed limit? I've never been caught speeding on my pushbike, no sympathy for those that do

You don't understand driving do you?

Some people have the divine right to break the speed limit whilst talking on their mobile and swigging Costa coffee because they are really important.

Get real. Your life would be meaningless without these wealth creators breaking the law every day.

etc etc Jeremy Clarkson walks on water, benefit cheats, SJW's etc, bloody immigrants, whatever....

3 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

I suppose they think the present system means little to the wealthy but speeding is speeding whether it's been done by someone in a 12 year old Focus or a brand new Tesla and if anyone is injured because of someone's speeding, why is their salary relevant ? 

You answered your own question. To a driver who earns above the average wage, a small fine will not deter him from speeding but someone on minimum wage would find the same fine a greater deterrent.

If you don't want to pay the money don't speed.

Really struggling with the principle...

Should we say that younger people who commit a serious crime should get a longer prison sentence..as they proportionally have longer left to live so it's more not as much of a punishment to get a 10 year sentence if you're 20 than if you're 60? ?

Now can we do something about half of the roads being set 10mph less than they should be?

Why have I got to drive at 20mph outside a school at 9pm on a Sunday? Why do I need to drive at 30mph down Kirkstall Road in Leeds when it's a big straight road  that goes on for as far as the eye can see with no cars parked at the side and crossings for pedestrians?

When there's no cameras and everyone is 'speeding' then that should tell you something. The speed limit might be wrong. But then they know that. That's why people speed.

Sith Happens
58 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Really struggling with the principle...

Should we say that younger people who commit a serious crime should get a longer prison sentence..as they proportionally have longer left to live so it's more not as much of a punishment to get a 10 year sentence if you're 20 than if you're 60? ?

I agree, its a hard one to get your head around.

I do agree with what another posters says who says dont do the crime then it doesnt matter, which is true.

The issue I have, its clearly aimed at making it a fairer system. So the theory is a premier league footballer a £100 fine is no punishment, but a pensioner a £100 fine is massive, i do get that i really do.

But just to have a blanket income based fine system is where it falls down, you can rip holes in it all over the place. If I get caught i will get a certain fine, yet I have an old friend who if he gets caught he will receive about half as much fine as me.

Ok, so he earns less, BUT he still lives at home supported by his parents and has far more disposable income than i do and savings, so why is it fair I should pay more than him?

Likewise, take the premier league footballer as an example, his wife or girlfriend may not even work because of his income, so on that basis she gets done her fine will be peanuts, why should that be either if we are going down this route?

You could have a couple where just one person earns £50k a year and the spouse is a stay at home parent, but another couple who earn £40k a week each.....the one person who earns £50k gets the bigger fine but is supporting others...fair? Not really.

But then on the other hand my friend who hasnt left home could argue why is it his fault hes got more disposable income just because Ive chosen to take on additional costs such as mortgage and all the associated bills that come with it?

So on the same basis said premier league player can argue why should he pay more just because hes earning more? its not his fault he has a talent which allows him to do this.

If you are going down this route of making it fairer dont apply such a lazy approach to it.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

Now can we do something about half of the roads being set 10mph less than they should be?

Why have I got to drive at 20mph outside a school at 9pm on a Sunday? Why do I need to drive at 30mph down Kirkstall Road in Leeds when it's a big straight road  that goes on for as far as the eye can see with no cars parked at the side and crossings for pedestrians?

When there's no cameras and everyone is 'speeding' then that should tell you something. The speed limit might be wrong. But then they know that. That's why people speed.

It will be interesting to see what happens on motorways, i will happily sit at 80 on a motorway and have even been overtaken by police cars doing more with no issues. Now these potentually huge fines are in will this give a reason to pull over those doing 75 on a motorway now?

Motorways should be at least 80 speed limit. The 70 was set years ago when we had cars with much poorer brakes etc.

I'd rather see them stamp down on those that block motorways by sitting in middle lanes etc..

3 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Completely agree. In Aus they set the school zones at 40(kmh) during school drop off and pick up then increase to 60 outside of those times and the weekend. 

Its the same with the motorways in the UK. The speed limit was set in the 60's! With the modern advancements with vehicles and safety of them now, its not unfeasible to think we could increase the limit to 80 even 90mph. It would bring a lot more people back inside the limit, as people are regularly doing that now anyway. Sure you'll still get the ****** who drive above that, but smash them with a hefty fine, and a ban. Keep reoffending then you lose your licence for life. It happens here in Aus, and that would be a big enough deterrent for most.

Motorway driving is one of my biggest gripes anyway, there are far more people hogging the middle lane who are driving dangerously than those at 80/90 mph. They cause people to speed. Its about time a motorway test was brought in along with a normal driving test.

its an hard one to call ....  how many of us  have  gone over the speed limit  ..i know i have  ..not proud just honest   ...  but  its criteria,s  such as ALEX FERGUSON  that irritate me  ...  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/465718.stm      

would any of us whom have gone over the speed limit   got away with the same excuse  ...?  

here is another case of a law for one  and one for another   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1233040/Camilla-Parker-Bowles-goes-shopping-yellow-line-rules-forgotten.html

Archived