I'll put my house on it...

BearDCFC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If you think rawson is the answer to usurp the international CB or burnleys premiership player of the year you must be seriously delusional. Can't get in a poor Coventry team.

It's interesting that now Shackell is suddenly our greatest defender. Lest you forget he's been god awful with the ball at his feet all season. Yes he can head out and clear balls with the best of them but his footballing ability on the floor has not been on display for a long time. He'd better kick up his game when he returns. Not arguing his potential despite his years, but he's really been a disappointment since he arrived under Clement.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

...but his footballing ability on the floor has not been on display for a long time. He'd better kick up his game when he returns. Not arguing his potential despite his years, but he's really been a disappointment since he arrived under Clement.

I expect him to be at least as good as Bravo! He's here as a defender, lets get our centre-halves doing that right first shall we?

27 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It's interesting that now Shackell is suddenly our greatest defender. Lest you forget he's been god awful with the ball at his feet all season. Yes he can head out and clear balls with the best of them but his footballing ability on the floor has not been on display for a long time. He'd better kick up his game when he returns. Not arguing his potential despite his years, but he's really been a disappointment since he arrived under Clement.

Who said shackell is our greatest defender? I said rawson wasn't the answer as you suggested. If he was he wouldn't be on coventrys bench. Personal nelly think we need a new CB that's under 25 with a bit of pace, height and adequate passing ability but first and foremost can defend. 

4 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

If Pearce starts next season, will the proceeds of your house be divided between all dcfcfans members, or just those who've responded to your offer?

If Pearce starts next season I'll assume Rowett has a blind spot for centre halves, Shotton, Pearce, ...

49 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Who said shackell is our greatest defender? I said rawson wasn't the answer as you suggested. If he was he wouldn't be on coventrys bench. Personal nelly think we need a new CB that's under 25 with a bit of pace, height and adequate passing ability but first and foremost can defend. 

Not saying Rawson is the greatest either I was being a little tongue in cheek in that we shouldn't forget we have a good young centre half on the books, pushed back in pecking order because of old hands. He's solid and assuming we can convince him to sign for longer he should be given his opportunity. That's what Burnley did with young Michael Keane - but some faith on him, got rid of their captain and supposed super stud centre half and look what happened next. Rawson has the tools and he's a commanding threat in the air too. He may flop he may he may come good but he deserves a shot.

57 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

How much is your house worth?

If Pearce starts next season, will the proceeds of your house be divided between all dcfcfans members, or just those who've responded to your offer?

If Pearce starts next season I think I'll smash my house up in anger

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

If Pearce starts next season I think I'll smash my house up in anger

Acting as if he's a terrible player of a standard far below ours. He's a good Championship defender at a good Championship club. He's not a fantastic Championship defender and he's not at a fantastic Championship club at the moment.

Only weeks ago he was applauded for being a model professional when he waited patiently then took his chance by putting in a string of outstanding performances. All of a sudden he's ****. The same people probably hold this opinion as those who said McClaren was perfect for us, then 2 months later sack him. Vydra is useless, biggest waste of 8 million ever, then 2 months later he's brilliant and is going to get 20+ next year.

Pearce isn't the best we could get and perhaps we will look to improve on him in the summer, but it's unfair to simply disregard him completely as he's actually been a decent player for us this year.

18 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Acting as if he's a terrible player of a standard far below ours. He's a good Championship defender at a good Championship club. He's not a fantastic Championship defender and he's not at a fantastic Championship club at the moment.

Only weeks ago he was applauded for being a model professional when he waited patiently then took his chance by putting in a string of outstanding performances. All of a sudden he's ****. The same people probably hold this opinion as those who said McClaren was perfect for us, then 2 months later sack him. Vydra is useless, biggest waste of 8 million ever, then 2 months later he's brilliant and is going to get 20+ next year.

Pearce isn't the best we could get and perhaps we will look to improve on him in the summer, but it's unfair to simply disregard him completely as he's actually been a decent player for us this year.

Was a tongue in cheek comment tbf mate:lol: In reality you're right he certainly hasn't be terrible for us, but he's no more than your average championship centre half, decent tackle when it's required but doesn't read the game or have the decsision making required to ever play in a promotion winning team. Decent cover but nothing else imo, despite a couple of months of excellent form. For what it's worth I've never really rated Pearce, always argued he's not as good as Shackell although of course credit where credits due for that run of form.

We need to replace him this summer, and if we're not playing Shackell then it needs to be one of our priorities, although of course whoever we buy does actually have to be genuinely better than both of them or there's no point. Have to put faith in the recruitment team to do its job properly :ermm:

Ideal situation for me would be to ship out Shacks, bring in another good CB to play alongside Keogh and have Pearce as a more than adequate back up. Pearce is the type of guy who has shown he can nail that CB spot his for a good amount of games but because there's next to no back up there's no kick up the arse/rotation when his form has dropped off. 

6 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

If you think rawson is the answer to usurp the international CB or burnleys premiership player of the year you must be seriously delusional. Can't get in a poor Coventry team.

Burnley do not miss Shackell they replaced him with a now England international, £3 million for an aging CB was very poor business, now he his starting to get hurt. 

It's an hard one. I'd be behind Rowett if the whole back four left. Saying that I'd like to keep Keogh in some ways shows his importance when we went on that dreadful run with him not in the side.

We'll see exciting times in the summer. (He did sign Shotton though.. But a Brummie fan made a good point that they was lacking someone with a little bit of pace and needed to play higher up the Pitch which they was then able to.)

21 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Fair play mate, I never rated Pearce. To me everyone seemed to get carried away because he has that kind of roll your sleeves up old school look about him. He had a few decent performances but at the time we were protecting the back 4 very well.

Younger quality CB needed this summer to partner Keogh, must be top of the priorities list. As for Rowett style I think he just plays whatever maximises the starting 11 he has available. He's just that sort of adaptive manager, he's here to get the most from the squad he has available.

Every manager who has had Rawson on loan has absolutely showered him with praise. Could he be the answer to this? Could save us £4/5m...

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Every manager who has had Rawson on loan has absolutely showered him with praise. Could he be the answer to this? Could save us £4/5m...

Apparently Coventry don't think so, can he even get a spot with them atm?

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Doesn't even get in matchday squad at struggling Coventry, saw one fan say he's the worst pro footballer they've seen at the club. Doesn't sound promising.

Tbh I don't really approve of sending a really promising young defender to struggling teams all the time (Rotherham, Coventry). They're not learning experiences. Defenders are under huge amounts of pressure every game and the teams can't afford to show any faith in them while desperately trying to find a set-up that shows any semblance of working.

I do not think Rawson is ready to play for us, but I also think he's better than League One relegation fodder. And I have seem him play quite a lot.

Archived