Certain "fans"

Eley1508

Yes we've had some good and bad signings over the past couple of seasons no doubt, but one thing which really irritates me about many 'fans' is the constant belittling and scapegoating of certain players throughout the season.. When a player is signed it seems that a couple of short cameos in the last 10 minutes of a game is enough to give certain supporters a whole understanding of a player. Chris Baird was signed and almost immediately called out for being a "weak link" and now look, one of the best players on Friday night and very consistent throughout this season, Vydra is another one who fans wrote off despite the lack of service under Pearson and much of it  being aerial which isn't his game anyway,  and under McClaren the few occasions he'd get ten minutes at the end he'd be played out of position as well yet fans would be quick to call him out as a scapegoat. Bradley Johnson is another example of someone who has always had his critics yet has been crucial this season. There are so many examples of players who we as fans are meant to give confidence to by giving our support to them yet all quite a few do is write them off  (probably having the opposite effect) only to eat humble pie a few months later.. I know this happens at various clubs but it really does p*ss me off! Great win Friday and it looks promising for next season but I really hope fans realise we need to give players more time to gel and give them more of a chance..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Majority of fans at all clubs like this. Myself included. It is human nature, some are more patient than others, but blindly supporting players without any signs of improvement is very difficult. I'd never boo a player, however I will moan about some of them. This season I've not heard anyone criticise Bradley Johnson. The reason for this is he has performed. We can say our fans shouldn't criticise the players, yet nobody would be (apart from a very bitter few) critical if the player performed well. I criticised Johnson when he was playing badly towards the end of the last season and was largely playing hoof ball. The fact is, it's a chicken or the egg situation. The player may be low on confidence because the supporters are critical, but the supporters only criticise when the player has been poor. 

1 hour ago, Eley1508 said:

Yes we've had some good and bad signings over the past couple of seasons no doubt, but one thing which really irritates me about many 'fans' is the constant belittling and scapegoating of certain players throughout the season.. When a player is signed it seems that a couple of short cameos in the last 10 minutes of a game is enough to give certain supporters a whole understanding of a player. Chris Baird was signed and almost immediately called out for being a "weak link" and now look, one of the best players on Friday night and very consistent throughout this season, Vydra is another one who fans wrote off despite the lack of service under Pearson and much of it  being aerial which isn't his game anyway,  and under McClaren the few occasions he'd get ten minutes at the end he'd be played out of position as well yet fans would be quick to call him out as a scapegoat. Bradley Johnson is another example of someone who has always had his critics yet has been crucial this season. There are so many examples of players who we as fans are meant to give confidence to by giving our support to them yet all quite a few do is write them off  (probably having the opposite effect) only to eat humble pie a few months later.. I know this happens at various clubs but it really does p*ss me off! Great win Friday and it looks promising for next season but I really hope fans realise we need to give players more time to gel and give them more of a chance..

Three years you have been here. 20 odd cameo posts. A few good ones, others a bit rubblish. I'd move you on personally. Booooooooooo!

Sith Happens

I dont have an issue with complaining about a player or his form. Its those 'certain' fans which think booing an individual player etc seems acceptable.

Johnson was still getting it early this season.

I think Baird has been excellent and I hope he gets a new contract. I still think hes a 'squad' player ideally as I hope we will get a new right back who is better.

There one man and two sons really get on my nervouse he does nrothing but abuse the lads Russell is main target and towards the end when vrydge scored he saying f bent sit down dont bring useless t on. I feel telling shut up certain word in it. Even against burton turn around said try supporting team for a change or dont brother coming he said you what I said you heard me.

Moaning and aggression is becoming part and parcel of modern life in all quarters sadly, but i will stick to topic. There are fans at every club and ours is no different that will moan about some facet of Management or players when we lose in the Champions League Final.

But i found this sign useful - 'Please don't feed the trolls'

Its funny how many disappear when no-one does :)

5 hours ago, Eley1508 said:

"Bradley johnson has been crucial to this season'

what? This smack bang average mid table mediocrity season? lol  brilliant.

Maybe hes having another two month spell like he had when he first arrived so he can dine off it for another 18+ months 

joking aside i agree, i really never understood the grief that the likes of both baird and before him warnock got straight off the bat But that said, there are several players now who have been here a couple of years that have proved theyre not up to it if we want to get where we want to be thats not based on a few games but two seasons.

maybe the likes of weimann and blackman havent been given the chance i dont know, i personally havent seen anything from either that makes me think it wouldnt be the best for all parties if we just say "it hasnt worked out, lets just move on from each other' 

Bradley Johnson was signed as a box to box midfielder, his preferred position for £6m. He performed well in his first 5 matches, then against Hull at home (league game), other than that, utterly useless in his preferred position. Deserved every bit of criticism given to him.

This season, we recognise our 6m box to box midfielder actually can't play the role (doesn't have the speed or energy), Thorne out injured we don't have a DM, we turn to Johnson, his last chance saloon. He became an integral part of the team, instrumental in our winning run when McC took over (2nd time), got praise and deservedly so. His form dropped when we had the bad run, pulled off against Cardiff, deserved criticism. He's now come back into the team and in the past few games has been our most consistent performer, excellent against forest and qpr. He's getting praise and deservedly so.

Hope Rowett keeps him as a DM as actually think that will be his position for the final part of his career. And I can see him being an  important part of what we want to achieve next season. But that doesn't mean he wasn't crap for the first 12 months he was here, and should not be exempt from criticism for that.

But fair play to him, he's adapted to a new position and is now an integral part of the squad.

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Bradley Johnson was signed as a box to box midfielder, his preferred position for £6m. He performed well in his first 5 matches, then against Hull at home (league game), other than that, utterly useless in his preferred position. Deserved every bit of criticism given to him.

This season, we recognise our 6m box to box midfielder actually can't play the role (doesn't have the speed or energy), Thorne out injured we don't have a DM, we turn to Johnson, his last chance saloon. He became an integral part of the team, instrumental in our winning run when McC took over (2nd time), got praise and deservedly so. His form dropped when we had the bad run, pulled off against Cardiff, deserved criticism. He's now come back into the team and in the past few games has been our most consistent performer, excellent against forest and qpr. He's getting praise and deservedly so.

Hope Rowett keeps him as a DM as actually think that will be his position for the final part of his career. And I can see him being an  important part of what we want to achieve next season. But that doesn't mean he wasn't crap for the first 12 months he was here, and should not be exempt from criticism for that.

But fair play to him, he's adapted to a new position and is now an integral part of the squad.

Spot on 

17 hours ago, Eley1508 said:

You almost got the spelling correct. "Cretin Fans".

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I agree his form dropped after a superb start, i dont think anyone could believe the difference.

Hes done an ok job at DM this season, but assuming we get a fit george thorne back next season we will see the proper difference he makes.

I agree he deserved criticism, im not sure the open booing of him was warranted nor served any purpose though.

17 hours ago, David said:

Just waiting for Inverurie or Curtains to attach a Bob Dylan video for you, this topic needs a soundtrack 

Yep we need to be "Best of Friends" with all the staff at our beloved Derby County. Even greedy boy Tom Ince and his mind is far too busy on buying his next pair of trainers Darren Bent!

Oh and David wants a bit of Bob Dylan, so this one is quite appropriate as the manager has changed and so have the fans as we are all right behind a team that are working hard for Derby County, and I wonder who the woman is that's drinking champagne now or and at the end of the season?

Archived