Options...or mediocrity?

Chester40

With all the general criticism about our 'weakened' team against Leicester, I  think most neutrals would hear '8 changes' and think it was a team of nobodies and youth players...but in reality most of them could claim to be 'first team' players.(Christie, Shackell, Keogh, Brad, Jacob..our most expensive signing Vydra, new cult hero Camara etc )

Does this mean we have a good squad with lots of options..or do we have a team of average players and no real clear first 11. With the exception of Ince and Will it's all pretty interchangeable? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We certainly don't have a very good squad as it stands to play Macs favoured 433. We don't have a centre forward currently at the club who is ideally suited to the role. I like Bent, Vydra too and I'm sure Nugent will play his part but none are ideal. Other than that we are a very good team when all are fit. The problem is with a few key injuries and suspensions our squad proves it is too bloated and more quantity than quality. We need a very good 16 players to get out of this league. I would say we are a little short of that. 

35 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Does this mean we have a good squad with lots of options..or do we have a team of average players and no real clear first 11. With the exception of Ince and Will it's all pretty interchangeable? 

For me it would be Carson, Keogh (even with his mistakes), Pearce/Shack, Hughes, Ince, Martin. The rest are interchangeable. There are one or two others that might make the leap, but we're a goodly way away from 16 *very good* players that Doodle wants imo.

Average. A squad built by McClaren, Pearson and Clement, all of whom wanted to play different ways and brought in players accordingly. 

So we're left with a manager who will only play one way, and too many players not suited because they were brought to play in other systems.

21 hours ago, Chester40 said:

With all the general criticism about our 'weakened' team against Leicester, I  think most neutrals would hear '8 changes' and think it was a team of nobodies and youth players...but in reality most of them could claim to be 'first team' players.(Christie, Shackell, Keogh, Brad, Jacob..our most expensive signing Vydra, new cult hero Camara etc )

Back on topic, I think this question gets to the absolute heart of Derby's failed quest for promotion these past few years. For me, the squad is good and strong but it is a little too big, without enough exceptional players meaning there is no clear best eleven. We have consistently spent on quantity over quality. Yet things started so well. After the playoff final when we were able to sign Thorne permanently in the summer, I genuinely thought that was the missing link and our guarantee of promotion the following season. We bought quality that we didn't previously have. Eustace was good in the role but George was transcendant. Then he got injured and that shows the risk of buying quality over quantity.

• GK: Carson, Mitchell, Roos (the only area where we have an exceptional starter and very weak replacements)
  • RB: Christie, Baird
  • LB: Olsson, Lowe, Forsyth (i)
  • CB: Keogh, Pearce, Shackell, Rawson (l)
  • CDM: Johnson, De Sart, Thorne (i), Hanson (l)
  • CM: Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield, Guy (l), Elsnik (y)
  • Wide forwards: Ince, Russell, Anya, Camara, Blackman
  • Central strikers: Bent, Nugent, Vydra, Martin (l), Vernam (l), Zanzala (i)

Obviously some people can be swapped into different positions and I'm likely to have forgotten one or two. It looks as if we have 20 available (not long-term injured) senior pros for 10 outfield positions and 6 places on the bench. we seem top-heavy with forwards, 8 being available for 3 starting places, compared with 7 defenders for 4 slots and 5 midfielders for 3 slots. Who are our guaranteed starters if everyone is fit and in reasonable form? I would suggest Carson, Keogh, Hughes, Ince. Should Thorne recover fully then he would be the fifth name on the list. Then I think the rest are interchangeable.

Looking at that squad, we could play any 11 against 11 in training and have very littlle idea which team would win. We have the best defence in the Championship because we have good players but also because we try to change it as little as possible (barring injuries) so everyone's used to playing together. We have one of the worst attacks in the Champioinship because it's unclear who we should play and how we should play. We have a better plan B than the era when we relied totally on Martin to link things together, but our plan A is much poorer.

20 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

For me it would be Carson, Keogh (even with his mistakes), Pearce/Shack, Hughes, Ince, Martin. The rest are interchangeable. There are one or two others that might make the leap, but we're a goodly way away from 16 *very good* players that Doodle wants imo.

Diito but I'd add a fit bryson in as an essential too

We have good players but they are not all natural alternatives to each other within a common system.

Ince and Hughes are, as forward players, a level above the rest in terms of touch and vision.

Keogh and Pearce have to my mind become a league leading partnership in defence. Not certain that they are PL but are top of the tree in this competition

Darren Bent is a fading star but is holding his own on the basis of a career top class experience and continuing desire.

Max Lowe will be a premier league player by the time his career ends

Butterfield has yet to fulfil his potential. Either he won't at all or he will be a late developer

The others are sound championship players but not gods.

anyway .. they are my team and when they have the shirt on they get my support.

Archived