Cyrus Christie

belperram9

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In footy and all walks of life you have ability and intelligence.

Some players have limited ability but are very intelligent players. Paul McGrath (in his latter years), Gareth Ainsworth at Burnley in his latter years and dare I say Baird, intelligent players who know how to do the simple things well.

Then you have Messi and Iniesta, Xavi etc who have both ability and intelligence.

Then you have players like Christie (and I've heard Mason Bennet be described the same)..they have all the ability in the world but not the intelligence to know when to pass, shoot and move into space.

You know Cyrus's mother reads this forum ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Jeff Hendrick and some other Derby player were on Soccer AM and when asked who was the thickest player at the club they both said Bennett. Now if Hendrick reckons you're thick............

I seem to remember in the match day programmes every single player said Hendrick was the thickest guy at the club. That and Bryson has the worst taste in music. Only things that every player answered the same!

10 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Very good point. Much more athleticism than Baird but Baird's got more between the ears. If Christie can develop the between the ears bit he'll be some player but we could say that about lots of players couldn't we?

Championship players have flaws, it's why they play in this league. 

Fix Christies decision making which is possible, not like you're trying to coach pace into him and you're looking at a PL defender. 

Baird has 10 years on Christie, age is definitely on his side at only 24. 

Slightly concerned his contract is up in the summer if Dav's contract thread is up to date. 

A player I would like to keep around for another couple of years, Baird hasn't got many miles left on the clock.

Last night I had a depressing trawl through the Leicester Forum for their thoughts after the match. To be honest most were just relieved to get a win, and quite a lot accepted it was a second-string Championship team, which tired at the end.

Interestingly (well, I thought so) one guy reckoned that out only decent player was Christie,  strong, quick, athletic, decent ball control etc and in his view  Leicester should sign him in the summer.

£20 million, do you reckon?

Christie does frustrate the hell out of you at times but it was noticeable the other night how his crossing has improved..not before time but, fair play, it's something he's obviously worked on.

I've never been a great fan of this modern concept of overlapping full back's anyway...your asking a player to do too much in my opinion...to be a winger and a defender...and if he loses it high up the pitch the opposition only have to knock a ball up the channel he's just vacated and they're suddenly on the counter...

Something I've noticed Johnny Russell do a fair bit is provide cover for Christie when it really ought to be the other way round...full back's should be able to defend, first and foremost.

31 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Last night I had a depressing trawl through the Leicester Forum for their thoughts after the match. To be honest most were just relieved to get a win, and quite a lot accepted it was a second-string Championship team, which tired at the end.

Interestingly (well, I thought so) one guy reckoned that out only decent player was Christie,  strong, quick, athletic, decent ball control etc and in his view  Leicester should sign him in the summer.

£20 million, do you reckon?

No so bonkers as it may seem. Watch Kyle Walker at Spurs, a highly rated international and a very similar type of player to Christie.

I'm actually a bit surprised at the criticism Cyrus gets, as he is trying to play the way the management are asking him to play. He is getting better and stronger defensively and still a young player. Just my opinion of course. 

15 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

To me Christie would be more suited to the role of wing back rather than fullback, whereas Baird is purely a fullback. If we were to play 3-5-2 with wingbacks then Christie I think wold be ideal, I reckon all our current left fullbacks, Fossie Olsson and Lowe could easily perform the role of wingback. Lowe looks ideally suited for it. Mind you it's a tough position to play and you need some engine on you. Again is it asking too much of the players in that position? Seems to work for Chelsea though. 3-5-2 isn't such a bad idea. Still gives us the width and allows us to play an extra striker.

The issue is you need excellent footballing centrebacks to do that system, which is why you see Azpilicueta playing there for Chelsea. If there's one thing we've seen this season it's that Pearce and Shackell aren't the most comfortable with the ball at their feet, especially Shackell. Rawson has played in a back 3 for Coventry recently and apparently looked very uncomfortable too so we don't even have him coming back. We'd need a couple of excellent CB's to come in and we know they're not cheap.

I also question whether it's worth sacrificing a spot further forward to get the best out of Christie and another Fullback. That system would involve dropping someone like Russell and putting Ince away from his favoured position. As much as it looks ok on paper, I think we'd be losing more than we gain with that system.

To me Christie would be more suited to the role of wing back rather than fullback, whereas Baird is purely a fullback. If we were to play 3-5-2 with wingbacks then Christie I think wold be ideal, I reckon all our current left fullbacks, Fossie Olsson and Lowe could easily perform the role of wingback. Lowe looks ideally suited for it. Mind you it's a tough position to play and you need some engine on you. Again is it asking too much of the players in that position? Seems to work for Chelsea though. 3-5-2 isn't such a bad idea. Still gives us the width and allows us to play an extra striker.

Some players can do it...the pair at Tottenham for example...and yes you do need some engine...a bit like the modern box to box midfielder.

That's the biggest difference between football today and the players of 30-40 years ago....not necessarily more talented but certainly a lot fitter...you need to be an athlete these days.

Well Steve likes his total football and it's extremely unlikely that he's going to abandon his playing out from the back policy so we could very well see some movement in the centre back positions this summer.

Yeah but I expect him to make 1 signing there rather than 2. We'd also still need to invest in that midfielder with bite we've been so desperate for. We tried playing it already with Albentosa (who us a better ball playing CB than we can ever hope to get again) against Chesterfield and it was horrific so I don't expect him to switch to it anytime soon.

I'm saying that had Christie been at rb today, there would have been a lynch mob on here for him. They scored 3 goals and missed a sitter from 1 yard, all coming from that side of the pitch. 

I'm not blaming Baird, the whole team were at fault. But the Christie haters would have been pointing the finger, but he was on the bench, so maybe it was his fault after all. 

On 11/02/2017 at 19:29, ram59 said:

I'm saying that had Christie been at rb today, there would have been a lynch mob on here for him. They scored 3 goals and missed a sitter from 1 yard, all coming from that side of the pitch. 

I'm not blaming Baird, the whole team were at fault. But the Christie haters would have been pointing the finger, but he was on the bench, so maybe it was his fault after all. 

No he wasn't, not even in the squad.

Archived