Summer 2017

33 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Yes, dcfc fans Football Manager thread, love it!

GK: Carson / Mitchell / Roos

RB: Should be priority this summer. Baird running out of contract, Christie starts his last season. I'd be tempted to try to sell Christie and use +1 year option with Baird as a back up. New first choice in needed, Byram/Trippier calibre would be great.

CB: Keogh and Bucko (or someone similar who really can pass the ball) Pearce is fine as a back up, but if we want to see some slick passing like with Mac1, new CB is needed. Pearce/Shacks and Rawson starting their last seasons, sell if opportunity rises.

LB: Forsyth starts last season of his contract, which should be renewed. Hopefully breakthrough season for Lowe. Olsson is decent but should be offered chance to get first team football somewhere else.

DM: Thorne (contract ending season) and Johnson are fine. Loan Hanson somewhere, where he gets minutes. League 1 or even 2.

CM: Hughes backed with Butters is fine, Bryson should be back up for someone better. If David Edwards was younger...Loftus-Cheek would not only fit well, he would add some height among our midgets. Loan Elsnik to get proper games.

RW: Ince and Camara are fine.

LW: Anya as the other and would like to see new face here too. Sako would do. Russell's last year should be cashed out.

ST: Martin is first choice. Bent will be released, he has been already replaced with Nugent, who's unfortunately not even close being as good. Hard to get rid of Vydra and Blackman so they would add numbers up front.

Overall 24 players, IMO pretty optimal.

So trying to push actively out: Roos, Christie, Olsson, Russell, Weimann, Blackman, Vydra.

Sell without problem: Shackell, Pearce, Rawson, Hanson

We should add quality, not numbers like recent years.

Some interesting calls there but Pearce ? .. Find of the season for me. 

Ollson = decent .. So ship him out to make him happy ? ????? He is a good player, not a great one but we aren't in the Prem yet and he is par .. Great if we can improve on him but I have no worries when he is on the team sheet.

agree on the RB thing. We lack cover and strategy there. Christie is a better attacker then defender and Baird is aging but excellent for now but not that much longer. Fragile in that area. 

Assuming Thorne recovers ( always a worry ) then DM is not a problem as you say, esp if the De Saart situation developes well. 

CM .. Is the big issue ... Bryson getting older and has physical issues. Butters isn't comming up to spec as far as a Hughes alternative goes. We are short at least one commanding midfielder and cover for the same. Maybe it's Hanson and Elsnik but they don't seem to be getting anywhere near the squad atm.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jono said:

Ollson = decent .. So ship him out to make him happy ? ????? He is a good player, not a great one but we aren't in the Prem yet and he is par .. Great if we can improve on him but I have no worries when he is on the team sheet.

agree on the RB thing. We lack cover and strategy there. Christie is a better attacker then defender and Baird is aging but excellent for now but not that much longer. Fragile in that area. 

Assuming Thorne recovers ( always a worry ) then DM is not a problem as you say, esp if the De Saart situation developes well. 

CM .. Is the big issue ... Bryson getting older and has physical issues. Butters isn't comming up to spec as far as a Hughes alternative goes. We are short at least one commanding midfielder and cover for the same. Maybe it's Hanson and Elsnik but they don't seem to be getting anywhere near the squad atm.

Pearce has been solid and him being first teamer or back up depends how we want to play. Fast, short passes on the ground (like Mac1) starts from the back and even though Pearce is excellent defender, that ain't his game. Likewise Shackell. Or Johnson. Or Camara. But as a back ups, they are just fine. If we continue to play like this season, they all can play in a first team, no doubt. Forget "heavy metal", "park the bus" or "tikitaka" football. I want it to be sexy, that's why I'm calling for these changes.

27 minutes ago, jono said:

About Olsson or LB's overall. Two should be enough. Anya as a third, Baird as a fourth option. One of them shouldn't be needed, no team can have so bad luck :ermm:

I'd rather keep Forsyth and Lowe.

• 3 weeks later...

jono first off, apologies for the extremely late response I have had something of a hectic couple of weeks since we last spoke. 

On 08/02/2017 at 17:34, jono said:

Your points are more than valid but it presupposes we have that one system the suits our players and the wheels fall off we don't use it. And without the holding striker we fail. I don't agree entirely with the cause and effect

Now if we do a Pearson and change everything over night it does fall apart. Dumb for a hundred reasons that we have seen all too painfully. I don't think our system depends on so fragile an element as one holding striker, and it doesn't !

I'm not necessarily saying we have one and only one system that suits the current crop of players however I do think we should build towards a cohesive tactical system that we could use to mount a title challenge. Then from said system we can have a few ways to vary things up as a game calls for it. (i.e. being able to play Nugent off Martin when we are chasing a game). 

It isn't so much about having specifically a hold up striker, but a player who can knit together our midfield and forwards. Any system worth it's salt has a clear plan of how to effectivley transition play from midfield to attack with a majority of systems having a player who can act as the link between the two. This either comes in the form of an attacking midfielder/#10 (think Ozil), a striker who shows for the ball (think Costa or in our case Martin) and quite frequently a combination of both are employed. It's this 'link' that we are critically linking right now as we have no striker who can do it (although I have high hopes that Nugent can) and only really Butterfield suited to playing as the right sort of attacking midfielder (also again Nugent looks like he might be able to play there). In a 433 there will naturally be space between the forward line and the midfield, in order to build up play you need a player to drop into that space to ensure play can transition into the final third. Not having a striker come short also negates the biggest attacking benefit of a 433 which is midfielders breaking beyond the striker and exploiting the space the striker creates by dropping short. 

I can't accept that we lack tactical cohesion any more than we did 2/3 years ago. Maybe we aren't as drilled but we are more flexible.

I firmly disagree with this, currently I believe we lack players to play any system to it's full potential and have to make a certain number of concessions because of it. Although I do agree we are more flexible.

We are more or less in the same place and the same issues are often repeated. We don't move the ball fast enough. Some games we sit too deep and pass sideways. Whoever is the striker will suffer, he can't bring runners in the play unless he has the ball. Yes .. he does link play and drop deep better than Bent or Vydra .. they do stay too high up for our way of playing. but Martin is only dropping deep because he cant get the ball otherwise.  In this sense I sort of agree with you, but it is only half the story - having Martin resolves the problem SOMETIMES but not always.

I disagree that we are in the same place as before because I think the issues that you label to the current side, "We don't move the ball fast enough. Some games we sit too deep and pass sideways", weren't really applicable to the previously McClaren side. Those issues only started to come in when Clement took over. You are right that the ball needs to flow quicker through midfield and we need to not sit so deep. And the midfield are definitely not blameless in this. However I believe that a reason why we are seeing more sideways passing is because there isn't that player in front of them giving them a viable option to go forwards outside of playing a very difficult pass trying to thread through the defence.

You are right though that just having Martin back won't completely fix the problem. Of importance as well is having a midfielder who can break forward from midfield into attacking positions with or without the ball. We currently lack such a player in the squad other than Bryson (who has had injury problems and seemingly takes a few games to get up to speed) because we unfortunately are yet to replace Hendrick.

Of more than equal importance to our set up is the quality and intent offered by the DM ... it isn't really Chris Martin that we are missing .. its George or John Eustace .. they are the playmakers who win a ball and play those raking forward passes that Martin CAN use. Johnson has done well shielding the back 4 but he can't or doesn't make the killer passes that other deeper lying players can ... ta daaaaa Chris Baird .. Why is Tom Ince on fire ? because he is getting fed. .... Feed Bent and Vydra then see what happens. If De Saart clicks more of our mids and strikers will get goals and the lack of cohesion will disappear with or without Chris Martin

You are certainly right in identifying this as having been a major problem. In a 433 the defensive midfielder is the bedrock from which play starts off from and frankly Johnson can't really do it. Having a fit Thorne back would certainly go a long way to fixing our issues (plus his talent would help mask other issues) but he wouldn't be the complete answer to them. In reality we need Martin and Thorne back, plus a new central midfielder to really solve the problems of attacking cohesion. I have high hopes that over the coming weeks we shall see Nugent and De Sart step into their respective roles to address these issues because I have seen signs from both that they could be what we need to get our groove back.

On 07/02/2017 at 09:54, jono said:

I wonder what the De Saart out come will be. ? Will he turn in some more WBA quality performances and become a target for us ? 

For me the top priority has to be finding the right man in midfield. It's no use dreaming of the perfect Prem quality striker. We have good strikers, not great ones, but they can score if we give them enough ammunition ... That has to come from midfield.

we have capable wide players in Anya, Camara, JR. We some some youth team players who can step up I am sure. 

We lack a real midfield star with the right attributes to go with Will.  There is something good about each of  Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson but we don't have a midfielder except for Will who has multiple skills for different games. We need one. Do that and the others will fall in to place ( IMO ;) course )

Be good if we saw these multiple skills. In fact, one or two skills would be nice. The lad looks half asleep recently. Butterfield has carried him.

Agree with comments above. This is a massive summer as the recruitment in past 2 years has been a disaster. 

Outgoings.

Bent - scores goals but nothing else, he's a luxury, we need someone to give more to the team.

Ince - He's been our best player this season, when the going is good he's awesome, he even tracks back. when we're up against it, he's nowhere and giving out the body language of a spoilt child. He's also our most saleable asset and prem teams will come calling. We should cash in for between 12-15m

Shackell - needs to be playing, and also think he is rather gutless for a senior pro - e.g. Leeds away where he sold Hanson out continually with passes on his wrong foot under pressure.

Baird - decent job but need to move on

Johnson - not good enough

Butterfield - technically good but doesn't play with his head up, and for me doesn't have enough of an engine

Camara - not up to it

Russell - Good servant but often flatters to deceive. I'd get rid but you could keep him as a squad player.

Weimann, Blackman - both unlucky just don't quite fit.

Id keep Vydra as think he could be a different player with Martin coming back. Would also keep Anya just because of his versatility and he has the right character 

incomings

Martin - class act as this level

Watkins - all the write ups saying this guy could be a big thing, want a talented player from lower leagues with hunger to succeed

Lawrence - young, lots of potential been quality in championship in a dour team

Colback - this maybe a long shot as he's playing currently. 

Hanley - as Shackell replacement

Paterson - if he's fit again as competition for Christie.

I would play 4-2-3-1

Carson

Christie Keogh Pearce/Hanley Foz

Thorne  Hughes/Colback

Lawrence     Vydra    Watkins

Martin/Nugent

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Agree with comments above. This is a massive summer as the recruitment in past 2 years has been a disaster. 

Outgoings.

Bent - scores goals but nothing else, he's a luxury, we need someone to give more to the team.

Ince - He's been our best player this season, when the going is good he's awesome, he even tracks back. when we're up against it, he's nowhere and giving out the body language of a spoilt child. He's also our most saleable asset and prem teams will come calling. We should cash in for between 12-15m

Shackell - needs to be playing, and also think he is rather gutless for a senior pro - e.g. Leeds away where he sold Hanson out continually with passes on his wrong foot under pressure.

Baird - decent job but need to move on

Johnson - not good enough

Butterfield - technically good but doesn't play with his head up, and for me doesn't have enough of an engine

Camara - not up to it

Russell - Good servant but often flatters to deceive. I'd get rid but you could keep him as a squad player.

Weimann, Blackman - both unlucky just don't quite fit.

Id keep Vydra as think he could be a different player with Martin coming back. Would also keep Anya just because of his versatility and he has the right character 

incomings

Martin - class act as this level

Watkins - all the write ups saying this guy could be a big thing, want a talented player from lower leagues with hunger to succeed

Lawrence - young, lots of potential been quality in championship in a dour team

Colback - this maybe a long shot as he's playing currently. 

Hanley - as Shackell replacement

Paterson - if he's fit again as competition for Christie.

I would play 4-2-3-1

Carson

Christie Keogh Pearce/Hanley Foz

Thorne  Hughes/Colback

Lawrence     Vydra    Watkins

Martin/Nugent

Did I genuinely just see someone advocating replacing Ince, the best winger in the league, with tom Lawrence!?

It's going to be an interesting summer, that's for sure. Ultimately, I have no confidence in the recruitment team to bring in the right people. It feels like I'm backing a lame horse in that sense. 

In the past two seasons, we've brought in... 
Chris Baird
Darren Bent
Scott Carson
Alex Pearce
Andreas Weimann
Tom Ince
Jason Shackell
Jacob Butterfield
Bradley Johnson
Abdoul Camara
Nick Blackman
Marcus Olsson
Matej Vydra
Ikechi Anya
David Nugent

The most of them players have either been hit and miss, miss or not given the opportunity at all. Carson and Ince are the only two real consistent signings we have made. Baird, Bent, Pearce, Shackell, Butterfield, Johnson, Olsson and Anya have all been touted as good and **** signings in their time here. Weimann, Camara, Blackman & Vydra have all proven to be trainwrecks, whilst Nugent is still waiting for a chance of a run in the first team. 

If we work on the basis one in every 7 signings is going to be a success under the current recruitment team, then we need to sign roughly 80-90 players in the summer. 

Out : Bryson, Shackell, Russell, Baird, Blackman, Vydra, Weimann

In : Left winger, Centre mid, defensive mid, right back, 2 x Centreback

Few other maybes in there; Camara, Olsson, Johnson and Anya could all go if there is a better replacement

Some gaps could be filled from the academy if any of them actually look to scratch?

fad434a5e000ae12e98fc0469c4f3e77.png

I seriously hope we see clear evidence of that Chris Evans bloke justifying both his position and salary at the club because at the moment I can't help thinking he does f@ck all and got the gig because he's McClaren's mate.

Further, and before summer, I think it would be good if we could get an honest update on Thorne's progress, there seems to be an air of 'if it's not brought up, don't mention it' to me.

Out: a lot 

In: Chris Martin, flair player (like Knockaert) midfield general and captain, right winger, right back. 

Sorry I don't have names as I haven't played championship manager or FIFA for some years :ph34r:

Archived