Abdoul Camara > Johnny Russell

belperram9

Camara does seem to do better later in games ( unless a defence is woeful) so maybe the bench is his spot

russel again got in a decent shot at goal which was saved obviously and it is a shame that Ince couldn't put his open goal on target, we are lucky we have options.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

QPR..... also Preston I think? 

Just seems to be a decent threat. I do think he's a impact player more than anything though.

With regards JR, feel like he's been a passenger for the most part all season.... 

Yes camara is a potential impact player.. If you don't like russell starting who else? Anya ? He's not done much either so far. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes camara is a potential impact player.. If you don't like russell starting who else? Anya ? He's not done much either so far. 

Give me Anya over both to start..... just don't think Russell has been at the races all season really and probably parts of last season too. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Give me Anya over both to start..... just don't think Russell has been at the races all season really and probably parts of last season too. 

According to transfermarkt russell has no assists , 1 goal , and camara has 1 assist in the league and 1 in the Cup. Obviously russell has had more game time than camara but I can't think of many assists from Anya either. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

According to transfermarkt russell has no assists , 1 goal , and camara has 1 assist in the league and 1 in the Cup. Obviously russell has had more game time than camara but I can't think of many assists from Anya either. 

Just fancy these two more than Russell at the minute. I think JRs hunger has gone.... don't think he's all that defensively either nowadays which used to be a big help. 

I'm not into slating other players. Both our starting wingers were very poor today, but they will have better games. The biggest positive to take from today's defeat was the impact of Camara. He scared the **** out of the geordies with his raw pace, but also showed great ball retention and a keen eye for a pass (how the **** did you miss Ince!?). Anya was also a major positive when he was introduced. Camara will surely start the next game.

I like facets of all three players and I would have picked Russell today for his defensive capabilities.  He took a heavy knock early doors which may have affected his performance but going forward he missed an on-form Bryson (he struggled today.) 

Camara and Anya both played well when they came on at a time when Newcastle were starting to defend their lead and I would give Camara the shirt on Wednesday. Good to see Anya getting stuck in up front, more aggressive than I have seen him before. 

I think camara was so poor against Leeds as Hanson was Lb. I remember loads of times camara was held up, Hanson still with the 2 centre halves and had to scream for Russell to come over. He had no support. I like Anya, Russell and Camara, so like all 3 to get there shot especially Anya and Camara as they haven't had much game time. That said I would also like to see Blackman against Leicester. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree that Vydra has been a major disappointment but now that we have him until the end of the season we need to find his strength.

He's not going to be towering above defenders so needs quick ball to feet.

Camara's quick delivery would give him a chance but if he doesn't put them away then he deserves to warm the bench.

I can only imagine Blackman fails to impress at training because there's an obvious reluctance to play him.

And that's the thing .. It's not about Camara or Russell .. It's who we are playing and who would you pair with him.

good point about Vydra .. And if De Saart is playing there will be quicker ball released forward which may suit both of them.

Will, winning and Keeping the Ball probably suits Bent better. .. So maybe De Saart / Vydra / Camara as an alternative set up to Johnson / Bent / Russell ... I suppose only a manager and a training ground has enough data to guess when those might work. 

44 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree with that Bob. He is a great little player. Maybe not quite as quick/strong as JR but much much better control and he has the just same JR tenacity with a bit more precision. As a straight swap he would be a good choice. I still think though, against the right opposition and with the right LB then Camara can be a real threat. Got some serious pace on him and seems to be getting more aware

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I agree with that Bob. He is a great little player. Maybe not quite as quick/strong as JR but much much better control and he has the just same JR tenacity with a bit more precision. As a straight swap he would be a good choice. I still think though, against the right opposition and with the right LB then Camara can be a real threat. Got some serious pace on him and seems to be getting more aware

Just think JRs better days are behind him..... I know Ince had a off day today, but you know he'll be a threat..... feel Camara is more impact..... just wish Anyas hamstrings weren't made by the same manufacturer who created Jamie Wards. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

How many goals has camara scored then? Or assists? 

1 more assist than Russell this season, but one less goal. (1 goal for Russell and 0 assists apparently) They are about even I would say.

I think stats on paper can be very misleading with assists. I wouldn't class camara's ball to Bent v WBA as an assist due to it being a piece of individual brilliance. However he should have an assist for yesterday, it's not his fault Ince didn't bury it. I would have picked Russell yesterday, but took him off sooner. I don't think he was quite ready for a return. It was clear he was playing within himself. For me I feel Anya is due a start. Due to injury and left back cover he hasn't had much game time under maclaren on the wing. With our run of relatively easy home games. Defensive cover shouldn't enter the equation, pure attacking intent required for me

10 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

QPR..... also Preston I think? 

Just seems to be a decent threat. I do think he's a impact player more than anything though.

With regards JR, feel like he's been a passenger for the most part all season.... 

I think that was Hughes with the set up. Camara passed to Hughes. I think that counts as a 'key pass'.

They do look alike though so can see why you thought that :p

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Camara has been with us over a year and played probably 3 halves of good football. If he hasn't played enough then that is because he has not impressed enough in training to earn the shirt.

Lots of our players have potential but are competing too heavily with other players for them all to get a run and so the potential rarely gets realised because they are out of the team after a bad game or two. Keep the squad lean and maximise what you can from it. Stopping buying more players!

Archived