Abdoul Camara > Johnny Russell

belperram9

If I was Camara and I saw the team sheet prior to the game I would have been fuming. Contributed well at Ipswich and for me mac got this selection totally wrong.

Anyone who went today will agree Russell was horrendously poor. Constantly gives the ball away, tries and runs through his man constantly and is generally rubbish all round. I'm glad he got hauled off, why we didn't sell him is beyond me. He hasn't performed for ages. 

Camara on the other hand was brilliant when he came on in the short space of time that he had on the pitch. He didn't give it away and the two reverse passes for both ince and anya were class. Ince should have buried his chance. It is about time Camara is given a run in the team, regardless if he has a bad game. Russel gets given chance after chance, but given Camara's performance today, he gets the nod from now on in my opinion. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

If I was Camara and I saw the team sheet prior to the game I would have been fuming. Contributed well at Ipswich and for me mac got this selection totally wrong.

Anyone who went today will agree Russell was horrendously poor. Constantly gives the ball away, tries and runs through his man constantly and is generally rubbish all round. I'm glad he got hauled off, why we didn't sell him is beyond me. He hasn't performed for ages. 

Camara on the other hand was brilliant when he came on in the short space of time that he had on the pitch. He didn't give it away and the two reverse passes for both ince and anya were class. Ince should have buried his chance. It is about time Camara is given a run in the team, regardless if he has a bad game. Russel gets given chance after chance, but given Camara's performance today, he gets the nod from now on in my opinion. 

Totally agree - Camera proved a threat when he came on 

1 minute ago, irobinson said:

Totally agree - Camera proved a threat when he came on 

He's growing into the role. If he'd been slung on for whole matches earlier it might not have worked out so well ie vs Dirty Leeds and totally knocked his confidence.

It was only a couple of games ago (Leeds) where people were screaming that Mac should have started Russell but away at Newcastle he should have started Camara?

Maybe Camara was so effective because Newcastle were not so forced to come at us and we were in a position where defending was not so important? From the start when Newcastle were in control and pushing hard would Camara have made things better or worse?

At the end of the day Mac picks the team before the game not after. 

And Anag Ram, I have to say I disagree on Vydra. He's done less than Sammon and Blackman. He's been useless so far. For me to want to see him again he'd have to do something I'd want to see more of. 

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Camara need's a serious run of games from the get go, he's like Weimann out and out the side. 

I think the Leeds game has put off Mac though to give him the shirt over Russell

Agreed, but I can think of plenty of games in which I would give someone else the shirt over Russel due to his performances.

I think Camara is subject to some unfair criticism at times with regards to having no end product. I can think of a few quality assists when he's played, I.e. Preston away and QPR away. He should have had another today.

12 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

How many goals has camara scored then? Or assists? 

At least 3 assists off top of my head..... 

I can understand why Russell started, he actually did quite well covering Olsson. Sadly he ran down too many blind alley's and lost possession when on the attack. 

I'd have started with Russell too given the quality Newcastle have down their right side. That said I do like Camara, he just seems to make things happen (intentionally or not), he reminds me a bit of Wanchope in that sense.

I think once Camara came on Newcastle had eased off a bit, but I also think Camara pushed them back they seemed to back off a bit allowing us to push them back, Yedlin looked much less assured when facing Camara vs Russell. Camara also attracts the attention of other players leaving more space for our other players to shine. 

I think we need to pick and choose when we play Camara to get the most out of him. I'd love to see a Camara and Fozzy combo down that left side, Fozzy is the best defensive LB we have and would allow Camara more freedom.

Camara certainly seems to possess more of a threat than Russell, I'm sure opposing full-backs would rather be facing JR than Camara. But then, the threat hasn't been consistent, remember the Leeds game?  And our own full-backs would probably feel more secure playing behind Russell than Camara. So its still a debatable one for me.

19 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It was only a couple of games ago (Leeds) where people were screaming that Mac should have started Russell but away at Newcastle he should have started Camara?

Maybe Camara was so effective because Newcastle were not so forced to come at us and we were in a position where defending was not so important? From the start when Newcastle were in control and pushing hard would Camara have made things better or worse?

And Anag Ram, I have to say I disagree on Vydra. He's done less than Sammon and Blackman. He's been useless so far. For me to want to see him again he'd have to do something I'd want to see more of. 

I agree that Vydra has been a major disappointment but now that we have him until the end of the season we need to find his strength.

He's not going to be towering above defenders so needs quick ball to feet.

Camara's quick delivery would give him a chance but if he doesn't put them away then he deserves to warm the bench.

I can only imagine Blackman fails to impress at training because there's an obvious reluctance to play him.

15 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Enlighten me then mate, how many assists has Russell had this season? And goals for that matter? Whatever it is, no where near good enough for the game time he's been given. Russell was poor today and Camara was bright, it was all for there to see. That is if you were there...

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Comparing Sammon and Vydra, wow. 

3 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Enlighten me then mate, how many assists has Russell had this season? And goals for that matter? Whatever it is, no where near good enough for the game time he's been given. Russell was poor today and Camara was bright, it was all for there to see. That is if you were there...

Reread the post I was replying too..... 

Unless you didn't read what was there.

It's tricky picking the team... De sart and camara were very good against west brom but woeful against leeds. Dare we risk them gainst fester on Wednesday? 

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

An assist is where the player makes a pass from which his team- mate scores a goal. I can think of an assist against west brom , which Was hardly handed on a plate for bent, and that's it. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

An assist is where the player makes a pass from which his team- mate scores a goal. I can think of an assist against west brom , which Was hardly handed on a plate for bent, and that's it. 

QPR..... also Preston I think? 

Just seems to be a decent threat. I do think he's a impact player more than anything though.

With regards JR, feel like he's been a passenger for the most part all season.... 

Camara did look sharp today and picked out a couple of killer crosses and some really neat passing. I liked him when he switched to the right even more. Got to give him a run of games in my opinion. I reckon we have a real gem there - just needs more game time. I'd also like to see if he can shoot too - could be very interesting...

Archived