Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As happy as I will be to see Martin return, I do feel this could have been sorted perhaps quicker and with less animosity. We have just spent 2.5 mil on Nugent. Now if Martin was to return this window, it's obvious he will be our starter. Now Vydra I would keep as a 2 up top opinion and Either Bent or Nugent as someone to bring on if we need a goal, but not both. Surely if we had offered Fulham some or even all of the 2.5 mil Nugent fee as compensation, it would have been enough to cancel the loan. Or perhaps even offer them Blackman on a free, who I feel as no future at Derby 

59 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

While I will be delighted to see Chris Martin back I do think the situation is very bizarre, not sure I can ever recall a situation like it.

Fulham fans are unhappy and rightly so.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out...

Will he play today? Will he try and force a move back before tuesday?

What are the terms of the deal with Fulham, they have an option to buy but surely this is only with the agreement from the player himself?

If he stays at Fulham, what if things change between now and the end of the season? What if Fulham get promoted, will he change his mind? Can he?

For me I dont like any of the way its been played out, but Fulham would have been better concentrating on replacing martin and letting him come back, if someone wants to be somewhere else whats the point in prolonging it?

The situation with Martin has not changed, he was a Derby player before his pay rise [contract extension it was offered at the end of December] -he still is a Derby player except on 30 000 a week.

The loan deal still has not changed they'll still pay him his 14K a week we'll pick up the difference, he is still there till June with a option to but at £xyz millions . The only real difference is Fulham will have to offer him a better deal in June, alternatively he downs tools again and we pay Fulham £xyz to bring him back  quickly - interesting 3 days a head.

Will he turn out for Fulham today?

56 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

This is brilliant for Derby and could be even better for Vydra. He had his best success in a 3 upfront playing off Troy Deeney. He's still only 24 and I refuse to believe he's lost all the ability that made him one of the championship's best players a couple of years back. This is the final piece in the Jigsaw, especially with Bryson seeming to look like his old self on Friday (first time in a long long time).

McClaren gets the best out of Martin, it is a guaranteed success. He's proven at this level - he's had a good season for Fulham so he's in form.

Martin hasn't done anything wrong in my view. He never wanted to leave but Ostrich forced him out. Fulham are the innocent parties in all of this, messed around by Derby (Mel and Sam) who were obviously backing Ostrich at the time. I'd be cheesed off if I was them, but there are no morals in football, we're not the only team to adopt these dirty tactics and won't be the last, so ultimately, it's 2 fingers to Fulham and I'm delighted!

Yes it could be good for Vydra. 

You lost. E with the guaranteed success,  a great example of WTF. How is it guaranteed? 

What if he gets injured, what if he does not score? 

Can I buy a season ticket in the safe knowledge that we will succeed? I am interested to hear how you back that comment up.

Martin has not done anything wrong!!  If reports are right, he refused to play.. What if Will Hughes refused to play for us?

How is that not wrong?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Woke up a bit hungover, but after reading this whole thread, as well as bbc article, I can confirm this is true.

You had better explain the BBC comment quick.. Not sure what websites you are using but the are children on here, especially on this thread.

BBC sport-

Fulham insist on-loan striker Chris Martin will remain at the club and that they retain an option to buy him, despite the player signing a new contract at Derby.

Derby manager Steve McClaren is keen for Martin, 28, to return to the club.

And after signing a new three-and-a-half-year deal on Saturday, Martin said he is "looking forward to playing for Derby as soon as possible".

But Fulham insist it does not affect the season-long loan agreed in August.

The deal to loan Martin to Fulham, which included a £9m option for the Cottagers to sign the Scot permanently, was struck when Nigel Pearson was in charge at Derby.

"The signing of a new contract with Derby does not impact on the terms of the loan arrangement agreed by both clubs," a Fulham spokesman said.

"Chris Martin will be at Fulham for the remainder of the season and the club still has an option to purchase."

Martin missed three games after making himself unavailable for Fulham's trip to Reading on 30 December - a match that was abandoned at half-time - but has scored twice in three matches since returning to the side, as well as missing two penalties.

He was prolific during McClaren's first spell in charge at Derby, scoring 40 goals in 80 appearances between 2013 and 2015.

But he had failed to score in six games when Pearson allowed him to move to Fulham.

"I know how much Chrissie loves Derby and I am really pleased that he has accepted the offer to extend his deal. I look forward to working with him again once he returns," McClaren said.

Martin said: "I am very happy that the club and the manager see me as part of the long-term future. I am committed to being as successful as I possibly can be with Derby County.

"I enjoyed playing under Steve McClaren in the past and I feel that he got the best out of me, so I look forward to doing so as soon as possible."

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has previously ruled out the possibility of Martin returning to the east Midlands club.

He said Fulham was "not a train station", adding: "He's going to stay with us and respect the contract.

"I don't know if he will play for Fulham, but I'm sure he's not going to play for Derby."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38785112

Looks like we are back to where we were end of December?

Never been so happy to see a player sign a new contract at our club.

But....and mark my words on this, the first Derby fan I hear start with the. "lazy, overweight, doesn't care,should've sold him to Fulham when we had chance" will be summarily dealt with by a large knuckle sandwich to chew on.

For the love of god let's get this man back to the glorious Pride Park and grace our home turf with his undeniable footballing talent.

Anyone up for a trip down Fulham with me to bring him back???? Mackworth, DEL, RoyMac5?

Anyone? 

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes it could be good for Vydra. 

You lost. E with the guaranteed success,  a great example of WTF. How is it guaranteed? 

What if he gets injured, what if he does not score? 

Can I buy a season ticket in the safe knowledge that we will succeed? I am interested to hear how you back that comment up.

Martin has not done anything wrong!!  If reports are right, he refused to play.. What if Will Hughes refused to play for us?

How is that not wrong?

If?

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

All of it, there's no reason for any quotes from Martin anywhere in the announcement.

In fact, until the window shuts there's no need for a deal to be announced at all.

I think that it would have been far worse to wait until after the window shuts to be announcing a new deal. We would then leave Fulham with an unhappy player for the rest of the season that they are unable to get rid of. This way, we at least give them a way out if they wish to take it.

While it is really unusual for a club to be so public with the new contract announcement for an on-loan player I feel that the situation has been forced on Derby by Fulham's insistence on ignoring Martin's wishes in all this. 

I think it would be naive for us to assume that this sort of negotiation doesn't go on behind the scenes in various loan arrangements but Fulham chose to bring this into the public domain and this is the consequence of that.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Because Martin still is a Derby player so all we have done is extended what was already in place with a lot more ££££ per week, this then adds pressure to Fulham for June, as they will need to offer him more.

What nobody has said is the impact of what this potentially does to the rest of the team, imagine he returns and is on 30,000 a week what does this say to Ince and Co?

Well the impact of Blackman on £28,000 per week had its impact on all the others because he really hasn't shown anything 

it does appear that Martin for whatever reason has stated to Fulham that he is unhappy and wants to return to Derby so in reality they have had four weeks notice to get a replacement and are playing a financial/personnel dangerous game with their other squad members and supporters 

on a positive note when Martin returns there is the possibility that him and Vydra may click together in a 442 if say Ince is injured or sold following an extreme bid? 

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

I am 90% in favour of the return of Martin. Did he need a three year contract to persuade him?

Possible sign of Maclaren taking root at Derby.

Has Ross come home too?

I am a fan of Martin coming back, but...

Does Fulham's statement sound like they're interpreting the to-buy agreement as they just have to make the offer and Martin is theirs? 

What if Fulham get promoted? Martin mentioned specifically about Derby being geared for the PL. What if Fulham get promoted, offer to buy, Martin likes that even more improved contract they'd have to offer - would he stay?

Some other points from comments that I have read in the thread and can't find now:

Just because Martin has signed a new contract until 2020 doesn't mean he will be here until then. IF we get promoted and IF Martin doesn't play well in the Prem (as others seem to believe is a fact) then it means we will sell him to another promotion chasing Championship club for a good fee rather than him going for free on a run down contract.

As for other players being unsettled by the wages, I think them and their agents will be rubbing their hands together with glee anticipating their next negotiation. 

Lastly to those questioning our over-reliance on one formation, with Vydra currently at the club for the rest of the season at least it does give us an extra option to play the two of them together IF we could get Martin back now rather than at the end of the season. 

Lots of IFS in my post, but then it's all just speculation at this stage, isn't it? 

Last night I was just glad he was coming home. Think I will go back that mode now as all this thinking is making my brain hurt!

@Sparkle - sorry I have just seen that you posted as I was typing this post with several similar points. Glad we agree!

11 hours ago, swiftur said:

yes I was ,we were poor,got what we deserved.:o

Whether you were there or not doesn't bother me. I wasn't. I watched it on TV. We controlled the game but it was 'one of those days' where we couldn't get the ball in the net in 90 minutes. They got a lucky break and took it. It happens. A case of the best team didn't win IMO (and in the opinion of every neutral I've spoken to about it since).

Archived