That Ref

Millenniumram

20 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

So sad and predictable this thread be up......

Wasnt there today......

All I'm going to say..... refs make mistakes..... they are human, quite sad to see someone on here saying Steve should smashed him one.....

Maybe Steve and the majority have a bit of class..... 

Whatever you think of them, they are honest, and have failings like everyone else.....

Really would love to see some off here officiate a game of football.

Not going to deny officials have bad days..... but so do players, managers and chairman..... but the most honest person at the stadium is the much maligned.....

Easy target.....

Bob, I know you are a straight shooter and my Nephew does some refing. It is a thankless task at times. We really do owe officials some tolerance and respect.

That said he had a really bad game today. Clearly decided not to wave cards in the first half which then gave him a problem in the second when he did for very bland 50/50 arguable offences. We didn't get the rub of the green which is one part but he did make numerous mistakes. Taking the partisan element out of it he had a bad day and if he looks at the decisions, lack of them and consistency all round he won't be happy. He wasn't helped by perculiary passive linesmen. The second bookable on the lad that got sent off was a nothing. As it happened the same lad got off mauling JR several times in the first half. 

I hate to have a go at officials but in the same way we rank players and performances this was the worst I have seen this season. If he was a player he wouldn't be in the team next week. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think when a ref gets to this level of football then he needs to put in a much more consistent performance than that. Ok, kids football is no different in that the ref should be fair and consistently applying the rules of football to every player on the pitch. If you can hand on heart say that the ref did that today then you saw (or heard) a different game to me. 

20 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Wish I was..... and even if I were I would make the exact same comment

There are refs who make mistakes - they all do and the best generally make the fewest and also get the vast majority of the big decisions correct. But this guy was just totally incompetent and if you're in a job (because that's what it is at this level), then being this inept on a regular basis gets you the sack if in 'normal' employment. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that today was just a bad day at the office but that doesn't put him above being criticised for such a woeful performance.

I was totally bemused as to how he came to find 6 extra minutes at the end but if Reading had scored in the period beyond those 6 minutes then it would have been down to the meat-heads in the South Stand who hung on to the ball. What stupid, brainless idiots! If that ball had come back immediately then the ref would probably have played the 6 minutes then blown for full time. He then added a further 90 seconds whlist it probably took nearer 30 secs to get a replacement ball into play. 

Blame the referee for many weird decisions but not for the 'extra' added time.

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

You actually are a ref? That explains a lot !

Was, only regret is I never carried on..... was at a decent level too for my age

Like mafia says, its a tough job and most of us wouldn't be able to do it but at this level you expect better. He seemed scared to death and bottled out of decisions early on then went over the top later.

Thankfully it didn't cost us points today but it could easily have cost us a crippled player.

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

This sort if performance is imo where the club should request the FA to look at his performance and demote him a level in the refereering tier for a little while, just far too many errors across a game, simple not good enough

Really ticks me off when a ref gets demoted for being crap. If he has a terrible game in the prem, why should we put up with him the next week

17 minutes ago, jono said:

Bob, I know you are a straight shooter and my Nephew does some refing. It is a thankless task at times. We really do owe officials some tolerance and respect.

That said he had a really bad game today. Clearly decided not to wave cards in the first half which then gave him a problem in the second when he did for very bland 50/50 arguable offences. We didn't get the rub of the green which is one part but he did make numerous mistakes. Taking the partisan element out of it he had a bad day and if he looks at the decisions, lack of them and consistency all round he won't be happy. He wasn't helped by perculiary passive linesmen. The second bookable on the lad that got sent off was a nothing. As it happened the same lad got off mauling JR several times in the first half. 

I hate to have a go at officials but in the same way we rank players and performances this was the worst I have seen this season. If he was a player he wouldn't be in the team next week. 

Not going to deny refs have poor games..... what I objected too was the Mac smash him one quote earlier in thread , joke or not...... I've seen it happen. 

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

There are refs who make mistakes - they all do and the best generally make the fewest and also get the vast majority of the big decisions correct. But this guy was just totally incompetent and if you're in a job (because that's what it is at this level), then being this inept on a regular basis gets you the sack if in 'normal' employment. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that today was just a bad day at the office but that doesn't put him above being criticised for such a woeful performance.

I was totally bemused as to how he came to find 6 extra minutes at the end but if Reading had scored in the period beyond those 6 minutes then it would have been down to the meat-heads in the South Stand who hung on to the ball. What stupid, brainless idiots! If that ball had come back immediately then the ref would probably have played the 6 minutes then blown for full time. He then added a further 90 seconds whlist it probably took nearer 30 secs to get a replacement ball into play. 

Blame the referee for many weird decisions but not for the 'extra' added time.

Not going to deny anyone criticising even though I'll admit I might have been a tad OTT with my first post on here. 

Just think it's just an easy out in general to blame officials.... especially when a manager has fooked up a tactical decision or a player misses a sitter. 

Not denying refs have poor games. Even the best ones.  

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Not going to deny anyone criticising even though I'll admit I might have been a tad OTT with my first post on here. 

Just think it's just an easy out in general to blame officials.... especially when a manager has fooked up a tactical decision or a player misses a sitter. 

Not denying refs have poor games. Even the best ones.  

When teams lose then blame the officials that criticism should be taken with a moderately sized pinch of salt but when you win and the man in the middle still receives stinging criticism then there's a fair chance he's not had the best of games.

Today this bloke was rank!

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Why the fook cant I comment? Even if I were there I can guarantee I'd be here saying what I've just said.....

So no matter how bad he was, you would still jump to his defence even if you saw it for yourself? Maybe you should try giving a honest opinion instead of defending somebody no matter how bad they are.

Just now, ossieram said:

So no matter how bad he was, you would still jump to his defence even if you saw it for yourself? Maybe you should try giving a honest opinion instead of defending somebody no matter how bad they are.

Which I have....... I'm not going to deny people criticising a referee or I'm not going to deny a referee ever has a bad game, or make bad judgements.....

However what gets my goat is throwaway comments saying Mac should have smacked him one an then being told it's just a joke....... 

Not denying refs have awful days. But I will defend refs to the hilt if I see comments like that one..... imagine a kid hearing or reading that and then think it's fair game to abuse or smack one on a Sunday morning just because he didn't agree with a decision. 

Just a honest opinion. 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Not denying they make mistakes. I can also guarantee I walked off a pitch and got in changing room after thinking I've been embarrassingly poor. 

So what you're saying is that it's ok to criticise players when they're embarrassingly poor (ever criticised one of ours Bob?), it's also ok to do the same to managers when they get it wrong, but when refs have a shocker the same does not apply to them? How's that work then?

Utter tosh mate. They're paid to do a job like anyone else last time I checked.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

So what you're saying is that it's ok to criticise players when they're embarrassingly poor (ever criticised one of ours Bob?), it's also ok to do the same to managers when they get it wrong, but when refs have a shocker the same does not apply to referees? How's that work then?

Errrrrr have you read through all the replies on here..... I've not done that once at all! Feel to critiscise refs when you think they are poor. Refs have bad games..... and they know it.

What I objected to earlier is that joke or not..... it's ok to say Mac should have smashed him one instead of shaking his hand...... 

If a ref has a bad game it's par for the course sometimes,   but it has to be consistent for both teams, which I feel today it wasn't. There were some decisions today that were baffling. There was a clear hand ball in the area by reading which the ref was in a good position to see but waved play on,    some of his decisions were ludicrous to say the least 

If a ref has a bad game it's par for the course sometimes,   but it has to be consistent for both teams, which I feel today it wasn't. There were some decisions today that were baffling. There was a clear hand ball in the area by reading which the ref was in a good position to see but waved play on,    some of his decisions were ludicrous to say the least 

Archived