Rebranding your Football Club

LesterRam

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_juventus_by_interbrand.php#.WH4jfIXXKUk

Established in 1897, Juventus F.C. — or Juventus, or Juve, or I Bianconeri (the black-and-white) — is a professional Italian football club based in Turin and, arguably, one of the most famous and successful teams in soccer history. (My older brother — in the 1980s, in Mexico City — was an ardent fan.) Juventus is the second oldest (and still active) team in the country — Genoa is the oldest — and has won 61 national and international official titles. Yesterday, the team introduced a new logo and identity designed by the Milan office of Interbrand.

so if you was going to design a new logo, what would you design?

juventus_logo_before_after.png

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure it's the same, but I remember when we changed the logo from the traditional ram to the more "modern" circle style with the ram inside. Didn't work for me. 

Like this logo looks horrendous compared to the old one. What were they thinking? 

Awful decision.

6a842e6ae42d875600b5be43cb219395.jpg

This isn't the first time Juventus have changed their crest, but there's always been a fairly consistent theme. I'm a little confused about what the animal is meant to be. I'd always thought it was a bull because that's on the Torinese city crest, but the early iterations look suspiciously zebra-like and 83-91 is definitely a horse.

The rebranding is an utter disaster. It's a boring, uninspired, piece of crap dreamt up in a vacuous marketing department more suited to designing logo's for vodka or mobile phones. I expect the decision will be reversed fairly quickly.

crest-1924.gifcrest-1934.gifcrest-1946.jpgcrest-1968.jpgcrest-1971.jpgcrest-1993.gif

Obviously, plenty of clubs more famous than Juventus have changed their crests over time. A more modern design isn't always a negative. I love the current design of our Ram. It's our nickname, our mascot, and features on the city coat of arms so it ticks all the boxes in the way that a boring minimalist "J" never can. If I had to redesign our badge I quite like the front facing ram from 1925 and I'd probably stick a white rose on somewhere. No return for the stag though because we all know where stags live.

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_and_identity_for_juventus_by_interbrand.php#.WH4jfIXXKUk

Established in 1897, Juventus F.C. — or Juventus, or Juve, or I Bianconeri (the black-and-white) — is a professional Italian football club based in Turin and, arguably, one of the most famous and successful teams in soccer history. (My older brother — in the 1980s, in Mexico City — was an ardent fan.) Juventus is the second oldest (and still active) team in the country — Genoa is the oldest — and has won 61 national and international official titles. Yesterday, the team introduced a new logo and identity designed by the Milan office of Interbrand.

so if you was going to design a new logo, what would you design?

juventus_logo_before_after.png

New one looks like it should be on a pair of jeans

3 hours ago, Anon said:

crest-1924.gifcrest-1934.gifcrest-1946.jpgcrest-1968.jpgcrest-1971.jpgcrest-1993.gif

Obviously, plenty of clubs more famous than Juventus have changed their crests over time. A more modern design isn't always a negative. I love the current design of our Ram. It's our nickname, our mascot, and features on the city coat of arms so it ticks all the boxes in the way that a boring minimalist "J" never can. If I had to redesign our badge I quite like the front facing ram from 1925 and I'd probably stick a white rose on somewhere. No return for the stag though because we all know where stags live.

Are there plenty of clubs more famous than Juventus?

I don't think it's that bad tbh, you've always got to keep up with the times and not get stuck in the past particularly as a club as large and globally renowned as Juventus

Does actually look quite nice I think, and still at least keeps the old font that they used on the last badge, although getting rid of whatever animal is at the bottom does seem strange

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't think it's that bad tbh, you've always got to keep up with the times and not get stuck in the past particularly as a club as large and globally renowned as Juventus

Does actually look quite nice I think, and still at least keeps the old font that they used on the last badge, although getting rid of whatever animal is at the bottom does seem strange

It's growing on me actually. Now I can see the J forms the shape of a shield, that's a bit more clever than what I first thought it was. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

It's growing on me actually. Now I can see the J forms the shape of a shield, that's a bit more clever than what I first thought it was. 

It's clever and quite simplistic, much how most modern football badges are going. Much like our badge is now just the ram, other clubs are making the more basic and I suppose easier to look at

The new Juve badge is superb. Extremely clever as well, assuming the line down the middle resembles their famous stripes (borrowed from Notts C). I would imagine it was very expensive as well.... easy 6 figure sum if not 7. Fabulous job.

Huge fan of it, lots of people are just seeing the J yet the overall shape goes back to the 60's, like Redcar I can see the large stripe in the middle which also goes back to a 60's Juve kit and current kits.

It's modern, clean and keeps the club moving forward.

Best thing about it? It's unique, not just thrown in a circle to please kit manufacturers.

On 1/18/2017 at 02:50, TheDeadlySaul said:

Awful, has nothing to do with the city and little to do with the clubs history. To think it cost them £200k to design this. 

It is awesome and has everything to do with the history of the club. They used to have just a J on the shirt way back when  

i have never been a fan of their current badge, looks cheap and kind of fake  

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

It is awesome and has everything to do with the history of the club. They used to have just a J on the shirt way back when  

i have never been a fan of their current badge, looks cheap and kind of fake  

Can you please provide an example of this?

Archived