Leeds United v Derby County (A) - Matchday Thread

RamsPolls

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed on the video showing Nugent in training, that there was footage of the defence in training. and in that clip you could see Hanson, shackell, keogh and baird infront of carson. So this was the first time i actually thought Shackell might be back in. But umbelievably harsh on Pearce.

Will be interesting to see how Keogh does too. As Keogh definately seems to play better along side pearce. Time will tell i guess.

Just now, David said:

Play well you keep your place. Should always be the case. Would I have liked to see Hughes and Pearce back in? of course but what message does that send out to the squad. 

But if "play well you keep your place" is the system why did Shackell come in to the WBA game. I think this is harsh personally.

Just now, SaintRam said:

But if "play well you keep your place" is the system why did Shackell come in to the WBA game. I think this is harsh personally.

Fitness? coming off the back of the Xmas fixtures, opportunity to rest legs in the cup

Bloomin freezing up here! Good line up, feel for Pearce but pleased we've kept Baird at right back as I feel he is much more self-assured that side.

Not sure I saw any similarity between De Sart and Hughes? Looking forward to seeing them both in the team soon. 

COYR! 

4 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

and who else would you have in there???

We are down to our forth choice in that position.

Would of gone with Baird at RB, Keogh and Pearce centre halves and Shackell at left back. Think we could do with the added height tonight 

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

True it is harsh on Pearce, but you can see him not wanting to change the side v WBA

Pearce has been an integral part to our unlikely success thus far this season. Perhaps our best player yet Shackell comes in for one game which we win and keeps his place. I like both players but I find it very odd to start with Shackell given the run of form we AND Pearce have been on.

Lets hope it works out. Hopefully Pearce will see this as a further challenge to regain his place rather than take a negative view of it. If it were me I'd be spitting feathers.

Of course there could be other unknown circumstances why Pearce hasn't been picked to start so no point reading much into it I think but on the face of it I find it surprising.

Rooting for Shacks and the team though. COYR!

5 minutes ago, David said:

Fitness? coming off the back of the Xmas fixtures, opportunity to rest legs in the cup

Obviously, but to say to one of our best players of the season "we're going to rest you for the cup game so we can play it safe regarding your fitness" and then dropping him cos his replacement did well is harsh, imo. He's not done enough wrong in my opinion to be dropped and Shackell's not done enough in that one game to suggest he's a better option that one our best form players.

I understand this happens, and Shackell's hardly going to be a bad player in any game(s) he plays, but I've had a lot of admiration for the way Pearce has come into the team after having to sit out for so long and now it's possible he doesn't come back in, again. All Shackell has to do is not make any glaring errors.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Obviously, but to say to one of our best players of the season "we're going to rest you for the cup game so we can play it safe regarding your fitness" and then dropping him cos his replacement did well is harsh, imo. He's not done enough wrong in my opinion to be dropped and Shackell's not done enough in that one game to suggest he's a better option that one our best form players.

I understand this happens, and Shackell's hardly going to be a bad player in any game(s) he plays, but I've had a lot of admiration for the way Pearce has come into the team after having to sit out for so long and now it's possible he doesn't come back in, again. All Shackell has to do is not make any glaring errors.

Would you seriously rather play Pearce against Wood than Shacks?

No brainer for me and looks like Mac too.

2 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Well done Mac good team selection, play like we did against WBA and we won't lose. Pearce very unlucky but his last game was a 3-0 defeat. Never change a winning side 

We've won 6 of our last 8 at home drawing the others and yet to concede..

We've won 3 of our last 6 away games drawing one with Pearce at centre back.

He doesn't play tonight. Strange IMO.

Archived