Omar Bogle - Signed for Wigan

Day

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The annoyance is we just don't seem savvy when buying players at all, Bogle is an obvious good investment that would be a potential upgrade on Bent long term IMO. We scored 1 goal vs Norwich in 2 games, Bogle got 2 in 1 game alone, the technique for his second in the instep of his foot was lovely. He'd be more similar to Martin coming deep and laying off, something Bryson would thrive off for example. Bent can't do that effectively.

Lot of talk on this forum that Mac is here to get us promoted but we've just paid out more than Bogle to keep a guy that isn't coming back until next season and is directly helping a rival to try and beat us to the top 6. It's history repeating to me, like watching Austin at Swindon who I really wanted us to sign as well. Sometimes you can just see they'll step up, either way I reckon Wigan will make a tidy profit on Bogle. They got 6m for Wildchut so it'll be easy money for them.

900k as well, pretty galling after we dropped 8m on Vydra who can't play the lone striker role. Just ridiculous to me.

1 minute ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

There's nothing ridiculous, really.

Vydra was signed by Pearson who wanted to play 4-4-2.

Nugent was signed to compete with Bent and, next season, Martin.

We didn't have space for another striker. Nugent was a safer bet than the untested Bogle.

So in this 442 who was Vydra's big man partner? Our Troy Deeney...

He may not end up doing well. But most of us knew it was less of a gamble at less than a million than nugebt is at £2.5m and the wages he's on. If we signed bogle and he did well his value would rise massively. I do t think nugent has many games left and we're yet to see what he can offer. SURELY we bought nugebt to have an immediate impact but he won't be fit until near the end of the season as he's only played a handful of genes over two years 

23 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Nugent could play tonight.

There's no way Nugent was less of a risk than Bogle. And it's not your money so why do you care what was paid?

You mean more of a risk? At his age and not being match fit I would say yes. We'll get Martin. Back in the summer so nugebt was signed to make an impact this season. If he starts playing now he'll be match fit in a few weeks. We need strikers for these 3 home games coming up. Anything less than 9 points from these is a massive failure as we'll be far back from 6 place by then 

After the money we've dropped on players recently I just can't accept that £750k is a gamble. Big, pacey striker who knows where the net is, it's just not a gamble IMO.

Bogles already making an impact in the championship, we signed an 18 year old winger for a third of the price of Bogle who we may not even see near the first team for 2/3 years. 

I hate this club so much because we were so stupid not to sign Bogle. Stupid scouts and manager. 

This club is just hopeless, this is also the club that goes down in history as releasing the mighty Tonton Zola Moukoko, we're a disgrace! WTF!

Hang your heads in shame DCFC!

Cost less than 1/8th of Vydra and already has as many championship goals (this season) would of suited our style more than any striker we have on our books (CM excluded), granted it's one game but for the sake of 750k with all the money we've wasted, think we will live to regret this one. 

Can see this Bogle thing rumbling on for a while. Can I just point out if it hasn't already, he went to Wigan, I'm yet to see anything to suggest other clubs had even bid for him despite all the rumours linking him to a number of clubs over the last few weeks so we're not the only club to miss out here. Think his agent may need to get a plumber in to take a look at his leak.

I'm not sure why the scouting team is taking a beating over this, for all we know Bogle could have been the first name on the list handed to McClaren who decided he's happy with Bent and hoped to bring in Nugent who was further down the list. A player Mac has worked with before and will know well, saw it as less of a "risk"

Bogle may turn into a £10m+ striker by the summer, many of you may have been right that we should have taken the "risk" but 1 game in is a little early for the can't believe it's not butter.

No guarantees he would have fit in this side either, some players and clubs just work, Chris Martin was heading down the leagues before Nigel brought him to Derby and Mac sprinkled his fairy dust over him.  

2 hours ago, David said:

Can see this Bogle thing rumbling on for a while. Can I just point out if it hasn't already, he went to Wigan, I'm yet to see anything to suggest other clubs had even bid for him despite all the rumours linking him to a number of clubs over the last few weeks so we're not the only club to miss out here. Think his agent may need to get a plumber in to take a look at his leak.

I'm not sure why the scouting team is taking a beating over this, for all we know Bogle could have been the first name on the list handed to McClaren who decided he's happy with Bent and hoped to bring in Nugent who was further down the list. A player Mac has worked with before and will know well, saw it as less of a "risk"

Bogle may turn into a £10m+ striker by the summer, many of you may have been right that we should have taken the "risk" but 1 game in is a little early for the can't believe it's not butter.

No guarantees he would have fit in this side either, some players and clubs just work, Chris Martin was heading down the leagues before Nigel brought him to Derby and Mac sprinkled his fairy dust over him.  

Played against us for Grimsby in the league cup this year and didn't really look much but hay it's one game.

Bogle scored 15 goals in Grimsbys National League promotion season including 2 at Wembley to beat FGR in the final.

Two in a 7-0 rout of doomed FC Halifax and that 15 included 4 penalties.

This season he has got 19 league goals I think with 3 penalties.

Plus 2 now for Wigan.

I think it's clear he's always scored goals wherever he has been and the first half of this season for Grimsby he has been on fire but I would have liked to have seen him complete another season at Grimsby first.

There is every possibility that he could struggle at Wigan with the two goal haul v Norwich being a false dawn but only time will tell.

Personally I've seen quite a bit of him and I've always said that against predictable lower league defences he is a serious threat. If he can use his noggin against the more serious Championship sides on a regular basis then he will get chances and score goals.

I question his application and once teams figure out how he operates I can see him spending lots of time without the ball and ineffective which has happened before.

We'll see. Great to see him given his chance though.

Archived