That second automatic promotion spot...

Parsnip

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are rising up the table but so are villa. A top 6 finish is still a tough call leave alone anything higher. Next 2 games will give us a better indication  than Rotherham who were pants. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

We are rising up the table but so are villa. A top 6 finish is still a tough call leave alone anything higher. Next 2 games will give us a better indication  than Rotherham who were pants. 

Huddersfield are slipping up a little bit now and I don't think teams like Leeds and Birmingham have the quality to end the season in the top 6. 

If we honestly think we have a chance at the 2nd auto spot then we need to be winning games like saturday!

Norwich are on poor form but we tend to always draw with them in recent years but I think we haven't beaten them for about 7 years I think? We need to be brushing them aside and winning 1-0 Or 2-0. Another clean sheet would be massive against a good side like theirs. 

14 hours ago, Parsnip said:

What? What??? I can look can't I? I'm only window shopping.

But what if we carry on like this, and get better? What if Ince keeps banging these goals in? 

What if we're in the middle of the play off places by Christmas and Brighton & Reading start to tail off a bit? And we realise we have half a season left!

And then Stevie Mac takes his Rams to St James Park and absolutely annihilates them sending us on an incredible run to nick that second automatic promotion spot!!!

I'm very excited. Although still shitting myself that Forest are shortly going to completely derail our season. 

It's lovely that people have had some of their Derby joy restored but this season the automatics are gone - over the horizon. Newcastle's season-long form projects out at 108 points despite their ropey start. They probably won't manage that, but no one's going to catch them. So what of Brighton? Over last season and this they've taken 124 points from 63 games so have been remarkably consistent. This season's form extrapolated would give them 95 points, but suppose they drop back to their form over the last two seasons - that still gives them 90-91 points.

Now, let's imagine we sneak past them at the death with 91 points. That means taking 68 points from the last 29 games. That's 2.34 points per game between now and the end of the season. For the team currently in 12th. And it still is unlikely to be enough, relying as it does for Brighton's form to tail off. We've won 3 games in a row - that's all.

If we can keep the form and better football going to make the playoffs, and go into those with belief, that's a brilliant result after the start we've had. You're just going to have to make do with redemption at Wembley, which wouldn't be too bad.

3 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

Wasn't Crystal Palace near relegation places at Christmas once and get promoted? Anything's possible.

People forget, in 95 we were, I think, 4th or 5th bottom when we signed Igor. 

Its not impossible, just improbable. If we get in a couple of loans to cover the long term injuries in Jan we can make a push for it. No point making 6th your target, aim as high as you can and see where it takes you...

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's lovely that people have had some of their Derby joy restored but this season the automatics are gone - over the horizon. Newcastle's season-long form projects out at 108 points despite their ropey start. They probably won't manage that, but no one's going to catch them. So what of Brighton? Over last season and this they've taken 124 points from 63 games so have been remarkably consistent. This season's form extrapolated would give them 95 points, but suppose they drop back to their form over the last two seasons - that still gives them 90-91 points.

Now, let's imagine we sneak past them at the death with 91 points. That means taking 68 points from the last 29 games. That's 2.34 points per game between now and the end of the season. For the team currently in 12th. And it still is unlikely to be enough, relying as it does for Brighton's form to tail off. We've won 3 games in a row - that's all.

If we can keep the form and better football going to make the playoffs, and go into those with belief, that's a brilliant result after the start we've had. You're just going to have to make do with redemption at Wembley, which wouldn't be too bad.

Brighton have just lost their assistant manager to Villa. Will that make a difference? Time will tell. 

56 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Yes this is true, 

But they went up through the play offs I believe! 

Still possible but we could aim for the top 2. 

46 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

People forget, in 95 we were, I think, 4th or 5th bottom when we signed Igor. 

Its not impossible, just improbable. If we get in a couple of loans to cover the long term injuries in Jan we can make a push for it. No point making 6th your target, aim as high as you can and see where it takes you...

Totally agree, We can do it. For once we haven't peaked to soon and gradually picking up form. I remember Norwich doing the same too a few seasons back winning a large amount of there games towards the end of the season and scraping into the play-offs and winning then too...!

I think our poor start allows the team somewhat of a pressure free environment to see how far they can go. My impression from here and other Rams fans is that promotion is no longer a target, which I think will only work in our favour. 

If we've been written off as expected promotion chasers, this gives us a free shot at seeing how high we can climb. Next season I imagine we'll be talked about again (assuming we're still in the Championship) and teams won't play their football against us. 

Our "weakened" position is making teams more confident against us, which in turn opens them up to our brand of football. Enjoyable and interesting times ahead. 

9 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Totally agree, We can do it. For once we haven't peaked to soon and gradually picking up form. I remember Norwich doing the same too a few seasons back winning a large amount of there games towards the end of the season and scraping into the play-offs and winning then too...!

Just have to look at Burnley last season, Went 20+ games unbeaten after Christmas which saw them win the league! 

Though not impossible ,second is very very big stretch (even for my optimism) that said though it should be our target with the thought that if we don't make it then we are in the play offs ,,, mentally our players will be looking up and chasing hard rather than looking behind trying not to slip up if we are in the play off hunt 

Archived