Wolves vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Sky should be embarrassed at their one eyed coverage of this game. Holloway had just said they should have had the last dive, when the ball was clearly played. BTW, did we have no chances other than the goals??

Yes the lady saying how bad was that decision for derby's penalty.. A bit of a leading question, altho holloway doesn't need much excuse to have a go at Derby. There were two marginal decisions, both went our way. But wolves penalty claim looked more marginal than derby's so if derbys penalty was dodgy a penalty a penalty for wolves would have been even more so. As for wolves other penalty claims they were just ridiculous. 

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked dangerous every time we went forward today...... it's starting to come together nicely. 

Fully deserved MOM award for Ince...... special mentions to Bent, Butterfield and Lowe. 

Very much a work in progress..... lots of integrity and bottle shown today. 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Looked dangerous every time we went forward today...... it's starting to come together nicely. 

Fully deserved MOM award for Ince...... special mentions to Bent, Butterfield and Lowe. 

Hughes?

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Really not sure why Ian Holloway hates us so much. He just about managed to say we played well at half time but his comments post match seemed to suggest we were very lucky and Wolves were hard done by.

He's a first class bellend

Because we react. It adds to his profile in the crowded pundit 'market'.

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The fact is we had more shots on goal, more shots on target, more corners , more possession, and hit the woodwork twice. Their keeper played a blinder , Carson had a bit of a nightmare. We were away from home and we won. Far too much sky coverage of the penalty claims, yes two marginal decisions but much more besides.

we still have to improve on that we were not great second half but Mac is back and it feels good.  

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

The fact is we had more shots on goal, more shots on target, more corners , more possession, and hit the woodwork twice. Their keeper played a blinder , Carson had a bit of a nightmare. We were away from home and we won. Far too much sky coverage of the penalty claims, yes two marginal decisions but much more besides.

we still have to improve on that we were not great second half but Mac is back and it feels good.  

I agree - it would have been a travesty if we hadn't won.

And we did...

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

I think the foul on Lowe in the first half was the most blatant penalty, clearly barged in the back. 

Did sky show that one in their analysis of dodgy decisions at the end? Oh what a surprise, they didn't. 

4 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Because we react. It adds to his profile in the crowded pundit 'market'.

We're no different to any other fans though. They'd 'react' if he constantly slated their club for no apparent reason. He doesn't seem to be so negative about any other club. I can't work out why he has such a hatred for us.

The fact the scoreline was 1-3, Wolves being awarded and later scoring that penalty wouldn't have made the slightest difference considering they scored from practically the very next attack anyway.

If it was 2-3 they may have a bigger point to make.. But it's all rather pointless and seemingly an added excuse to have a dig at the officials which is becoming such an English thing to do.

Just now, Kernow said:

We're no different to any other fans though. They'd 'react' if he constantly slated their club for no apparent reason. He doesn't seem to be so negative about any other club. I can't work out why he has such a hatred for us.

True but, until this season, we were arguably the biggest club in the Championship. Certainly, we were the biggest crowd-drawing club and we have been consistently successful (reasonably so anyway).

Well we truly are back on McClaren's whacky rollercoaster, and I for one love it. This game probably should have been about 6-3 to Derby today, we created an absolute load of chances and were deserved winners. Game should have been dead and buried before half time. To Wolves's credit I thought they looked dangerous coming forward particularly in the first half. Only let down was how shaky we looked at the back all game, in particular Keogh and Pearce looked really off their game today.

Carson - 6 - Thought he perhaps could have done more with both goals and flapped at a couple in the first half. His distribution was excellent though. 

Christie - 7 - Another good performance from him today and kept their winger in his back pocket. It was noticeble how much we missed him going forward and at the back in the second half. Hope his injury heals quickly.

Keogh - 5 - Had a real mare today and looked sloppy throughout the game. Would have been lower but it was good anticipation by him to stop an almost certain goal when he cleared off the line.

Pearce - 5 - Sloppy and didn't seem switched on today. Got bailed out by Lowe after a diving in and lost the runner in the lead up to their first goal.

Lowe - 7 - Looks a very good player. His crossing was absolutely superb and linked up with Russell and Butterfield well. Would have been a higher rating but thought he got a little sloppy in the second half.

Johnson - 7 - Solid performance from Johnson, really put himself about well and his distribution seems to be improving. Starting to really own his position. My only qualm was I thought he started to look sloppy in the latter stages and needed a bit more composure.

Hughes - 9 - Man of the match. Star of the show today and was completely running the game. Created  an absolute hatful of chances and should have walked away with 3 or 4 assists. His pass for Bent's goal was sublime. His fake shot into through ball for Vydra was a touch of real class and should have resulted in a goal.

Butterfield - 7 - Went about his job without being spectacular today. Kept the ball moving well and really helped things flow through the midfield. Unlucky not to score in the first half.

Ince - 8 -  A real menace on the right today, all throughout the game. Everytime he got the ball, I thought something was going to happen. Really impressed how he played in the latter stages, won a penalty and generally kept the wolves defence honest on the break.

Russell - 7 - Worked hard on the left and really tried to get himself involved in the game. Put quite a few good balls into the box and was a general nuisance. Tired as the game went and got a little sloppy, perhaps should have been subbed.

Bent - 8 -  Well where has this Bent been ? Worked hard all game, occupied both centre backs physically, looked to drop short where appropriate, made clever runs, good in the air  and an absolutely sublime goal. Deserved at least one more goal for his efforts today. It's his shirt to lose for me now.

Hanson - 4 - Thought he really struggled when he came on, was beaten numerous times on the right and his general play was sloppy. Noticeable how much more joy they got against him than Christie.

Vydra - 6 - Did alright when he came on. Did good work in harassing the centre backs and being a general nuisance. Had a cracking effort with that volley. Only detriment his he should have scored his chance when put through by hughes and ended the game.

Overall a lot of positives, game by game we are starting to look much more threatening going forward. We just need a bit more composure and need stop giving teams an avenue back into games. Think this will come with time and a fit Thorne will certainly improve us in that respect. 

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The fact the scoreline was 1-3, Wolves being awarded and later scoring that penalty wouldn't have made the slightest difference considering they scored from practically the very next attack anyway.

If it was 2-3 they may have a bigger point to make.. But it's all rather pointless and seemingly an added excuse to have a dig at the officials which is becoming such an English thing to do.

Absolutely agree with last two sentences...... envy of the world English officials are. End of the day they are only human..... but we expect them to be robots and get every decision right, then when they act like robots they get criticised for it for not being human 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Honestly (and this might be biased) I think the referee was right in both cases (or at least I can full well see why he made the decisions he did). Their player clips Ince's heels from behind in the box, it may have been accidental but anywhere else on the pitch and that's foul with out question. With the second one the I think player is more coming into Ince rather than the other way round, who looks he isn't trying to make a challenge, plus the referee had an absolutely perfect view of it. 

47 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Surely their first goal is offside? I can't be the only one seeing this? Their player receiving the flick-on was beyond all of our defenders and ahead of the ball.

You know what that is close, about as close as both goals that Vydra has had ruled out against Newcastle and Leeds

Their right back was terrible. As good as we were in the first half, if they had a decent right back then we could easily have gone in level at half time, as our two goals came initially from Iorfa's side of the pitch. He's an England U21 international too. Over 70 games at this level. Hanson wasn't great but I'd have him over Iorfa on that showing every day of the week. Had a quick browse of the Wolves forum to see what they made of him and I found this comment pretty accurate...

Iorfa can control a ball further than I can kick it.

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Surely their first goal is offside? I can't be the only one seeing this? Their player receiving the flick-on was beyond all of our defenders and ahead of the ball.

Doesn't Russell play him on when jumping for the ball? He seems on to me. Clearly behind our defence but Russell tried to win the ball and played him on in my opinion.

Same  as last week, game of two halves. We should've been waaaay out of site by half time. Any Wolves fans saying they were unlucky are full of crap or forgot the first half VERY quickly.  Some good performances but some iffy ones as well.

Carson - At fault for both goals to be honest. Wandering for the 1st, indecisive for the 2nd - 5

Christie - A player reborn, got forward well and Cavalero couldn't get round him - 7

Keogh - Great goal line block (fantastic reading of the danger) and decent all round but let's himself down with lapses of concentration- 6

Pearce - Solid 1st half but got flustered a bit in the 2nd - 6

Lowe - Fantastic last ditch tackle on the first half and put over some quality crosses. Just napped a little for their 1st - 7

Johnson - Great to see him with a bit of swagger again.  Cleared up a lot of stuff and used the ball well - 7

Butterfield - Some good stuff in patches but so slow to play a ball sometimes - 6

Hughes - Ran the show. And that pass!!!!!!! - 8.5

Ince - Worked him socks off, scored 2, involved in the other.  But he'll still get grief because he wasn't kissing the badge every 5 mins or smiling enough.  The miserable little toe-rag - 9

Russell - Could be a world beater but he'll forever be a player that's defined by running around a lot - 6

Bent - Chris who??? Made Batth look every inch the donkey he is.  And. What. A. Goal... - 8

Archived