Remind me why we sacked pearson

archied

This was always going to be a tough job to turn around. This in my view is the legacy of Clements reign. McClaren has a better chance of turning it around than Pearson who wanted to rip everything up without signing the right players to play his system! 

McClaren now has a week on the training ground with the team so should hopefully see improvements next week.

Agree on Ince - never want to see him in a Derby shirt again.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, TopRam said:

Another one? Hughes was ten times worse than Ince yesterday but you won't mention his bad passes will you? 

This is a fair point topram but Hughes delivers and makes more effort in more games than Ince so on that basis you can't single Hughes out just on yesterdays performance.

IMO Ince is a quality player but for whatever reason just doesn't look up to it in a Derby shirt. His workrate as a backup isn't horrendous but certainly not enough to warrant inclusion in the side when he is consistently failing to come up with anything tangible in an attacking sense.

13 hours ago, Anon said:

What's the idea with this horseshit? Are we going for the "McClaren left us for Newcastle" tactic of repeating something provably false over and over again until no one remembers the truth?

13/14 - 25 goals in 51 games

14/15 - 21 goals in 46 games

15/16 - 14 goals in 40 games

We have not always been at war with Eurasia.

Oh, and we sacked Pearson because he was a ******* moron. Just because some of you get erect at the thought of someone ranting at the squad doesn't mean it's the right move for the club.

Shouldn't this be in the Brexit thread?

11 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

This is a fair point topram but Hughes delivers and makes more effort in more games than Ince so on that basis you can't single Hughes out just on yesterdays performance.

IMO Ince is a quality player but for whatever reason just doesn't look up to it in a Derby shirt. His workrate as a backup isn't horrendous but certainly not enough to warrant inclusion in the side when he is consistently failing to come up with anything tangible in an attacking sense.

And before people think I habe nothing against Hughes he's been great for Derby just think at times some players get picked out more than others because they are more passionate! But I totally understand your point Ince doesn't perform to his ability 

Jeez some of the responses. But apparently it's ok to call Pearson a lunatic, if that's not defamation I don't know what is. He may have made some mistakes in the past but that doesn't make him mentally ill. I never at all said they deliberately threw games, it's like Chinese whispers, one person lied saying I said that then everyone else takes it as fact. If I said that then some of the responses would be justified. All I said was that they didn't try their hardest for Pearson for me. That's not saying they threw games, you can put 98% effort into a game but if you like/dislike a manager you're naturally going to try that little bit harder or less harder. Just like Mourinho with Chelsea last season. Of course they wanted to win because that's how they get bigger salaries if they win which is the ultimate objective of a footballer. Based on what I saw of the players under the Pearson and how they were under previous managers, they simply didn't look like they tried their hardest for me. Yes the tactics weren't great but for me they could have given that little bit extra 1 or 2%.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

If you don't 'care' then why you're still here then? Odd. 

Players want managers out? More nonsense coming out from you again. 

Hope the club take him to court... 

He won't prove anything that are true Cannable. 

Wow just wow... 

It's really nonsense at all.. It's you that makes things up as per usual. 

That's decent reply. 

He won't tell you which players says a lot tbf.. 

These comments confirm that you're a parody. Get a grip, you have said far worse things about the likes of Bryson and Blackman in the past.

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Jeez some of the responses. But apparently it's ok to call Pearson a lunatic, if that's not defamation I don't know what is. He may have made some mistakes in the past but that doesn't make him mentally ill. I never at all said they deliberately threw games, it's like Chinese whispers, one person lied saying I said that then everyone else takes it as fact. If I said that then some of the responses would be justified. All I said was that they didn't try their hardest for Pearson for me. That's not saying they threw games, you can put 98% effort into a game but if you like/dislike a manager you're naturally going to try that little bit harder or less harder. Just like Mourinho with Chelsea last season. Of course they wanted to win because that's how they get bigger salaries if they win which is the ultimate objective of a footballer. Based on what I saw of the players under the Pearson and how they were under previous managers, they simply didn't look like they tried their hardest for me. Yes the tactics weren't great but for me they could have given that little bit extra 1 or 2%.

Game of fine margins as we know. Do you think that fitness is a major problem for this group of players? Affecting (apparent) effort, and concentration late in games - so what we are seeing are symptoms rather than causes?

I was trying to remember some threads a season or two back where we noted then that a number of players simply couldn't manage 3 games in a week. Can't remember which ones or the reasons why unfortunately. but we then had the ill-fated Karl Halabi fitness regime under Clement which seemed to take us backwards.

You could perhaps get away with it under Clement as a result of the slow possession based build up. But Pearsons intended system of 2 up top, plus two midfielders at least one of which needed to be box to box, feels to me like it would have needed higher fitness levels. As will McClarens high tempo more intricate one touch passing style.

If we have players who are out on their feet after 60 mins that's no good at all. Even worse is if players mentally try to "conserve" energy believing they are going to need a burst later in the game (or even week). This might account for your reasonable observation of apparent "lack" of effort - not leaving everything on the pitch.

Hence it all starts with fitness - and if we haven't got that right as a basic building block we will surely struggle?

16 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

If we have players who are out on their feet after 60 mins that's no good at all. Even worse is if players mentally try to "conserve" energy believing they are going to need a burst later in the game (or even week). This might account for your reasonable observation of apparent "lack" of effort - not leaving everything on the pitch.

Hence it all starts with fitness - and if we haven't got that right as a basic building block we will surely struggle?

Remembering a (now deleted) post that suggested seeing a photo of late night revelry with NP and some of the boys before the Bristol game, perhaps NP's idea of a fitness regime isn't the same as Mac's?

Pearson was in the doghouse for publicly calling out the players but if you go back and listen to the interviews it really wasn't that bad. Clearly it was getting to him that we didn't execute and he said we deserved our position in the league. Perhaps he was worse behind the scenes but guess we will never know about that. He also took responsibility for the team selections too culminating with a 'if I have to bring in the youth then so be it' line pre Cardiff . He did dismiss the 4-3-3 talk saying that he couldn't do anything unless he got commitment, honest performances  etc from the players. I mention all this because essentially isn't mcclaren doing the same thing by blaming the players for the failure to secure his coveted 0-0 draw?

As long as mcclaren fails to win and the team not score goals, the screws will tighten on him and he's doing himself no favours by offering pretty much the same football we saw before while being content to play for draws. Yes, only 3 games granted, and he's insinuating he hasn't had time on the training ground (except maybe to institute the whacky short corner routine we've got going) ... So after another week or two with them when he's actually 'got his feet on the ground' he needs to deliver. With such a massive upheaval mid season, letting go of Pearson, and the mac's utterly flawed immediate past at Newcastle, and his lady few months at Derby, he really is on a short leash with Derby supporters whether we like it or not.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Remembering a (now deleted) post that suggested seeing a photo of late night revelry with NP and some of the boys before the Bristol game, perhaps NP's idea of a fitness regime isn't the same as Mac's?

blimey - with NPs general demeanour, the idea of any sort of revelry with him around beggars belief!:lol:

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

... he really is on a short leash with Derby supporters whether we like it or not.

With fans like you he doesn't need enemies! Of course he'll be given longer, this squad really is unbalanced, it'll take until after Jan window to get anything vaguely excellent out of it!

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

blimey - with NPs general demeanour, the idea of any sort of revelry with him around beggars belief!:lol:

Lol! I think the post didn't say revelry specifically, so maybe it was a council of war?! Can't remember who posted it tbh, but I wasn't surprised to see it go missing - unless I just couldn't find it again?

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

This pool of players (plus Martin) was good enough to finish 5th under the guidance of TWO amateur managers last season, but this season they're not good enough for mid table with two very experienced managers (three if you count Powell!)?

The same players seemed to have little problem concentrating for a full match when we were grinding out wins under Clement, so they can do it!

I'm sure Sir Alex used to get his teams to step up their tempo and push players forward in the last few minutes. It cannot be a coincidence that they scored so many, late on.  If I was an opposing manger I would be really pressing for a late one against Derby now.  The ridiculous comments by our manager and captain about being naive and not deserving a late goal just goes to show how really lost we are at the moment.  It sounds like the kind of comment you'd expect from the U11's. 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

With such a massive upheaval mid season, letting go of Pearson, and the mac's utterly flawed immediate past at Newcastle, and his lady few months at Derby, he really is on a short leash with Derby supporters whether we like it or not.

If he really is on a short leash with Derby supporters then we are terrible supporters who will get the crap football and ineffective chopping and changing of managers that we deserve.

32 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Game of fine margins as we know. Do you think that fitness is a major problem for this group of players? Affecting (apparent) effort, and concentration late in games - so what we are seeing are symptoms rather than causes?

I was trying to remember some threads a season or two back where we noted then that a number of players simply couldn't manage 3 games in a week. Can't remember which ones or the reasons why unfortunately. but we then had the ill-fated Karl Halabi fitness regime under Clement which seemed to take us backwards.

You could perhaps get away with it under Clement as a result of the slow possession based build up. But Pearsons intended system of 2 up top, plus two midfielders at least one of which needed to be box to box, feels to me like it would have needed higher fitness levels. As will McClarens high tempo more intricate one touch passing style.

I think it's a combination of all the factors you have listed. Obviously we don't have access to the individual fitness records and how  each individual player's fitness is. You might be right about the players conserving energy but then surely wouldn't that mean that we would be stronger at the end of games when it's the opposite for me? To me we look weaker at the end of games. It's obviously an issue that needs to be addressed but it can only be really addressed during pre season

27 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think it's a combination of all the factors you have listed. Obviously we don't have access to the individual fitness records and how  each individual player's fitness is. You might be right about the players conserving energy but then surely wouldn't that mean that we would be stronger at the end of games when it's the opposite for me? To me we look weaker at the end of games. It's obviously an issue that needs to be addressed but it can only be really addressed during pre season

I think fitness may be a factor but it's also IMO due to the style of play at the end of matches - we simply invite the other team to attack by dropping too deep and not keeping control of the ball.

Hopefully we will see this change and we will push higher up the pitch and concentrate on keeping the ball better. Then it may be us getting the last minute goals again! :)

19 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I think fitness may be a factor but it's also IMO due to the style of play at the end of matches - we simply invite the other team to attack by dropping too deep and not keeping control of the ball.

I assumed we dropped deep because of lack of fitness to continue with a high line?

57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I assumed we dropped deep because of lack of fitness to continue with a high line?

You may well be right RoyMac5. I think it's also due to lack of confidence in keeping the ball too and if they're are no players up we're stuffed.

2 hours ago, RamuelLJackson said:

If he really is on a short leash with Derby supporters then we are terrible supporters who will get the crap football and ineffective chopping and changing of managers that we deserve.

My opinion is that some are, indeed, terrible supporters.

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Right-o, so how long will you give the Club to move on the useless, worthless champagne Charlies then?

It will need to be done before next season begins. This season is looking pretty much a write off. I expect that the team will struggle in the bottom 6 for a while, before the players put in just enough effort in the final 10-12 games to achieve a 'respectable' mid table position. 

Archived