Jump to content

Bradley Johnson's Crown of Thornes...


IronRam 140.6
 Share

Recommended Posts

....is today's telgraph back page headline. Basically offering up yet another human sacrifice to the God of Defensive Midfielders.

It did make me think one thing though.

Bradley in these last few games has shown me enough there is potentially a decent backup to Thorne. Better than previous incumbents anyway.

Then a eureka moment! Could BJ do the ball winning bit (tackling mainly, blocks are a bit different - Thorne should still be expected to do this) ALONGSIDE Georgie Jelly knees and possibly shield him from that side of Def Mid duty??? It would allow a more solid 4-2-3-1 set up as a deviation/plan B from the usual 4-3-3. Especially against the tougher teams. 

I really worry about Thorne having to do the rough stuff on his own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

....is today's telgraph back page headline. Basically offering up yet another human sacrifice to the God of Defensive Midfielders.

It did make me think one thing though.

Bradley in these last few games has shown me enough there is potentially a decent backup to Thorne. Better than previous incumbents anyway.

Then a eureka moment! Could BJ do the ball winning bit (tackling mainly, blocks are a bit different - Thorne should still be expected to do this) ALONGSIDE Georgie Jelly knees and possibly shield him from that side of Def Mid duty??? It would allow a more solid 4-2-3-1 set up as a deviation/plan B from the usual 4-3-3. Especially against the tougher teams. 

I really worry about Thorne having to do the rough stuff on his own.

Not a bad shout kid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Positive - it would stop is being bullied by teams with 'ugly' midfielders (of all varieties) that have stopped us playing in the past. This would involve George and Bradders ball winning and then driving on (BJ) or playmaking (GT) however with 2 disciplined CM's, you need the wingers to either support the CAM (Will) Tom boy I'm looking at you, or get up near the striker to create space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems a good idea on paper, however imo if we played that sort of formation with 2 out and out defensive minded midfielders like Thorne and Johnson, I think we'd see too much of a gap appearing in the middle of the park and start struggling to start off attacks. It's certainly an option however, but would take a lot of work to build a system that allows a front 4 to almost act almost separately to the 2 defensive midfielders. I'd say that Johnson after seeing him recently tho is finally that Thorne backup we've needed for so long, albeit a very expensive one, but he now has a clear role within our team and system imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the IDEA but it would not work unless they stayed closer to Hughes than to the back four. Our biggest issue for me has been getting the ball forward often enough and quick enough along with having more than one player close to the flipping goal. There s also the added issue of whether this would make is very narrow ? 

Just random thoughts but part of the decision making mix. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It seems a good idea on paper, however imo if we played that sort of formation with 2 out and out defensive minded midfielders like Thorne and Johnson, I think we'd see too much of a gap appearing in the middle of the park and start struggling to start off attacks. It's certainly an option however, but would take a lot of work to build a system that allows a front 4 to almost act almost separately to the 2 defensive midfielders. I'd say that Johnson after seeing him recently tho is finally that Thorne backup we've needed for so long, albeit a very expensive one, but he now has a clear role within our team and system imo

Johnson isn't just an out and out holding midfielder though, just like against Leeds he can bring the ball forward and does have a decent range of passing. If Thorne is next to him it would give a little more freedom to go and bring the ball forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the first McClaren season we has The Eust in the DM role... Before he was suspended and we had to give loanee George Thorne at home against Forest...

After all the coincidences on Saturday anyone thinking Thorne's injury timetable might be nice for an early December return?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Johnson isn't just an out and out holding midfielder though, just like against Leeds he can bring the ball forward and does have a decent range of passing. If Thorne is next to him it would give a little more freedom to go and bring the ball forward.

Yeah I think he's obviously more forward thinking than Thorne, but I still think we'd struggle for creativity with both throne and him in there, Johnson is a compentent passer, but I still think Hughes would be more suited to a role alongside Thorne in that system purely for his creativity with the ball

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may well work, however currently our forwards need to start firing to release the pressure from the back 5. If this happens I don't think there will be a need for two defensive midfielders. 

Two years ago under Mac our best form of defence was to attack. With these set of players I still believe this is still the case

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:


I do hope you're not including Saint Eustace in those previous incumbents.

steustace.jpg

 

:wub:

Wouldn't dare. He was a bona fide CDM previous to Thorne and a bit of old fashioned "you go past me and I'll chop you down as I can't run very fast"  player. Much like myself . .

We've struggled since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.