Return of the Mac

toddy

I am not sure there is an issue with MM and Mac, that needs to be addressed.

During the take over talks Mac was sacked and as a potential new owner no sacking of the current manager would not have been done without the backing of MM.

Shame really as we have gone backwards since Mac........ 

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Not really sure I get your point...

My point was that when he came in, he was so far superior to what went before, that he instantly had an impact on the players. I'm not sure you can replicate that. 

when he came in, he proved that with the right level of professional coaching and positive intent, the players at his disposal were a lot better than they were showing.

I think the current situation mirrors exactly that. 

Whilst I like Chris Powell, there's no question that McClaren is miles ahead of him in 'coaching'. As for Kevin Phillips... I'm beginning to think he's nigh-on useless.

So, what kind of manager do we want? I'd say we want someone to get some positivity into the team and get our players reaching somewhere near their best. 

Does McClaren meet that description? Based on his 2 previous spells here, I'd say so. Also, he will have pre-conceived ideas about the majority of the squad, this meaning some of them do NOT get away with another fresh start and chance to ruin another manager. I'd think he'd already know who to get rid of, as he never had a chance to replace those who screwed him (and us) over in that run-in of 2015.

He couldn't polish the turd that is Newcastle, neither could Benitez, but at this level Derby are not a turd.

There are certain coach's that are great at putting an arm around a player and telling them how great they are and it creates a fantastic confidence thing.

Mac done it last time around, Keegan used to do it, even Warnock does it.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

when he came in, he proved that with the right level of professional coaching and positive intent, the players at his disposal were a lot better than they were showing.

Whilst I like Chris Powell, there's no question that McClaren is miles ahead of him in 'coaching'. As for Kevin Phillips... I'm beginning to think he's nigh-on useless.

So, what kind of manager do we want? I'd say we want someone to get some positivity into the team and get our players reaching somewhere near their best. 

Does McClaren meet that description? Based on his 2 previous spells here, I'd say so. Also, he will have pre-conceived ideas about the majority of the squad, this meaning some of them do NOT get away with another fresh start and chance to ruin another manager. I'd think he'd already know who to get rid of, as he never had a chance to replace those who screwed him (and us) over in that run-in of 2015.

He couldn't polish the turd that is Newcastle, neither could Benitez, but at this level Derby are not a turd.

He can't succeed - the definition of which is getting to the premier league with a strong team or, staying there with a strong team. He failed to do either and is a serial bottler. Not even mentioning failing to get England to the Euros - a most epic fail in our country's history.

thst said he plays an exciting, attacking style in 4-3-3 with no clue how to defend and no idea how to organise a set piece. So yes he'd be an improvement on the past few managers but then again, so would a ham sandwich.

sad really very very sad

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Yes, but the players will have to play for you. Will they play for him? 

17 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Exactly - we need someone to come in and say "what mess?". There's no massive disarray at derby - no need for panic, we just need someone to come in, organise and get the players to do what they're fooking told. I think there are a couple of managers available who can do that and this guy with the ginger tuft is probably one of them.

13 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Yes, but the players will have to play for you. Will they play for him? 

I'd think the majority, right now, off the back of Pearson, would be delighted to play for him. The potential to play the kind of football to get the fans off your back, get yourself back into international contention in some cases (Russell and Bryson?) and restore reputation, (Ince and Johnson).

I think the timing is ideal. Following up from Pearson.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'd think the majority, right now, off the back of Pearson, would be delighted to play for him. The potential to play the kind of football to get the fans off your back, get yourself back into international contention in some cases (Russell and Bryson?) and restore reputation, (Ince and Johnson).

I think the timing is ideal. Following up from Pearson.

You fancy him. 

38 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Steve Mac was successful partly due to his excellent loan signings, Dawkins, Wisdom and Bamford, followed by Thorne really changed the team.

This time around there are no loan signings until Jan.

Bryson was not a fan of Mac, due to him being played deep and then basically destroyed as an attacking player in his second season.

First season under mclaren was great, the second season was disappointing to say the least.

It would be wrong to go back.

100% this

11 minutes ago, eddie said:

Appointing McClaren would be a gamble.

Appointing anyone else would be a gamble.

You'd imagine that having been successful here before, Mcclaren should be less of a gamble. Especially now he's had his ambitions of managing a top top club beaten out of him. 

Or has he?

Archived