5th and 5 points off top...

robglosta

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

The decision was correct at the time, the huge disappointment is a top six side which we have being destroyed in a matter of two months and turned into relagation fodder, enough said! 

How was it correct? We were a one and a bit win swing from being top? Plus he was a new coach that would have got stronger given some nurturing. 

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

You don't sack a manager 5 points off top unless his role was untenable for some reason.

At least that's what I've always pinned my hopes on, because otherwise Clement's sacking truly was a disgrace. 

If we wanted to follow the Southampton and Swansea model of each manager following his predecessor and being as much of a continuation as possible, if he was successful in his interview because he claimed to buy into it and if it's true that Mel repeatedly tried to make him conform then I agree with the sacking and think it was fair.

Didn't agree with Clement going at the time, and have seen nothing since to make me think it's been the correct decision.

Also, I've still not seen anything explaining the reason for his sacking. If someone could tell me that would be great, cos that little run of what, 4 or 5 without a win seems so long ago now.

Just because a chairman throws millions of pounds around, it does not necessarily make him a good chairman.

Remember turning 5 Live on and there was genuine dismay from all the football pundits at the time. None including managers could figure it out. I was genuinely shocked. I always had a lot of time for him, not just with hindsight. That's gone and part of history. Things may move quickly if Tuesday is a fail. 

In fairness, Mac had his head turned - he was going anyway.

Clement wasn't sacked for football reasons, there was something that remains private that forced mel's hand. I'm certain Mel would never had sacked Clement in that position - Clement was long term.

Pearson seemed like a safe pair of hands but if it continues to not work out then he will need replacing. And that will be the first time that Mel will need to make a decision based on purely football reasons.

What's Steve Bruce up to?

Clement sacking was a joke at the time and events since havent made it feel any wiser..

I can recall the total derision at the decision across the media and as a few have stated there must have been non football related reasons - that is the only explaination..

Look at where we are now we are a total shambles on the field of play - The Wassall decision was a joke, how long will Pearson get to take our great club even further backwards? Its like evolution in reverse...

13 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Clement sacking was a joke at the time and events since havent made it feel any wiser..

I can recall the total derision at the decision across the media and as a few have stated there must have been non football related reasons - that is the only explaination..

Look at where we are now we are a total shambles on the field of play - The Wassall decision was a joke, how long will Pearson get to take our great club even further backwards? Its like evolution in reverse...

You say non-football reasons, but the reasons stated were that he wasn't buying into the Derby Way. Is this the Derby Way? This is a grubby league where you have to scrap, and being 5 points off top in February will never be grounds for dismissal, IMO. 

I think he sacked him a bit too early, but we were playing poorly and the results were beginning to reflect that- where everything went wrong was appointing a manager this summer who didn't suit our players and asking him to work with what he's got, rather than rebuilding the team to his style. Although equally the baffling tactical decisions pearsons made so far have no excuses 

Archived