Beer Thread

Cisse

Had a day in Gent today - the home of Gruut. I tried 5 beers I had never tried before, including the Gruut, of course. Strange to think that for all my life, hops was synonymous with the bittering in beer - yet there are no hops in Gruut. Instead, you get a long, spicy tangy aftertaste, perhaps a little like the herbs used in a wit. The other beers I tried on a rather experimental day were saisons and geuzes - all fairly local breweries. Back at the hotel in Oostende now, finishing the evening off with an Augustijn Grand Cru (van Steenberge beer, like Gulden Draak, brewed just outside Gent).

9 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

What other beer festivals are we going to? 

This year might be the first time I can get back to Elton beer festival. Had a cracking time about five years ago there...

I'm back in Brugge next February for the beer festival there - but before then, we are going to the Christmas Market, which is pretty much the same thing.

Did I ever mention I like Brugge?

Today, we went to the Bourgogne Des Flandres brewery. Back to the UK tomorrow - my liver needs a holiday.

On 05/06/2018 at 10:38, TuffLuff said:

What other beer festivals are we going to? 

This year might be the first time I can get back to Elton beer festival. Had a cracking time about five years ago there...

The Black Bulls Head (inc Bedlam Bar) at Openwoodgate have their Beer Festival this weekend. 

Last night and this lunchtime saw me going through a few Keizer Karel beers from Charles Quint. Fabulous.

Last beer in Belgium for us was good old Westmalle Tripel at Brussels station at 5:00 pm tonight. Just got back home an hour ago, and I'm now sucking down a Chimay White before planning the next trip.

Just been to do the weekly shop at Lidl, Chaddesden.

For those of you who just might be interested, they have boxes of 6 Belgian beers in, the contents of each being as follows (each bottle 330 ml):

• 1 bottle Gulden Draak (10.5%)
  • 1 bottle Golden Draak 9000 Quadrupel (10.5%)
  • 1 bottle Bornem Dubbel (7.2%)
  • 1 bottle Bornem Tripel (9%)
  • 1 bottle Piraat (10.5%)
  • 1 bottle Piraat Triple Hop (10.5%)

£11 a box.

I was quite restrained and just bought 4.

Be warned - these sell out VERY fast.

They also have some Corsendonk (I think).

What I neglected to add is any opinion or notes about the beers.

All are brewed by Brouwerij Van Steenberge, a brewery just north of Ghent, hence the box set. I had heard of Lidl stocking these boxes for about the last 3 years, but this is the first time I have been fortunate to be in a shop at the same time as the beer. So here goes...

Gulden Draak - the colour resembles dark honey or caramel. It is highly carbonated and forms a luscious, thick white head with good lacing. The taste is malty, fruity (think plums, raisins, cherries) with a hint of banana and clove - typical of Belgian yeasts. It is an utterly world-class beer.

Gulden Draak 9000 Quadrupel - basically a slightly maltier version of the above, a little lighter in colour too but equally magnificent. A little more complex - the secondary fermentation uses a champagne yeast. Although both are labelled as 10.5%, the Quad actually tastes a little stronger.

Bornem Dubbel - a typical Belgian Dubbel Abbey beer - dark brown and very lively. One of the best beers to use (in my opinion) if you are making a Flemish stew - or any sort of stew, for that matter. The usual dubbel flavours are there - fruit, demerara sugar etc. I'm not going to praise this beer to the rafters, but it is definitely ok, and it compares favourably to the more readily available Leffe Brune, and the hoppy aftertaste is much better. Like Leffe Brune though, it tastes a bit 'thin'.

Bornem Tripel - again, typical of the style for a Belgian Abbey Tripel - amber or straw-coloured, lively with a big head. The taste is apple, pineapple, a nice citrus tang that lasts for ever and which is perhaps more typical of a witbier as opposed to a tripel. Definitely an entry-level tripel. Not bad.

Piraat - an amber beer that actually looks more English than Belgian - but there any resemblance ends. Beautifully balanced between malt and hops, it is absolutely full of complex fruit flavours and has a long, hoppy after-taste. I love this beer.

Piraat Triple Hop - I must confess that I have never tried this beer at all (yet). I read on the brewery's website that hops are added three times (once in the boil and then twice dry-hopped) and there are actually 4 types of hop (saaz, tetra, aurora and cascade). I'm pretty sure it will have citrus/grapefruit notes from the cascade which will complement the maltiness (it seems to be the same grainbill as Piraat).

4 hours ago, eddie said:

What I neglected to add is any opinion or notes about the beers.

All are brewed by Brouwerij Van Steenberge, a brewery just north of Ghent, hence the box set. I had heard of Lidl stocking these boxes for about the last 3 years, but this is the first time I have been fortunate to be in a shop at the same time as the beer. So here goes...

Gulden Draak - the colour resembles dark honey or caramel. It is highly carbonated and forms a luscious, thick white head with good lacing. The taste is malty, fruity (think plums, raisins, cherries) with a hint of banana and clove - typical of Belgian yeasts. It is an utterly world-class beer.

Gulden Draak 9000 Quadrupel - basically a slightly maltier version of the above, a little lighter in colour too but equally magnificent. A little more complex - the secondary fermentation uses a champagne yeast. Although both are labelled as 10.5%, the Quad actually tastes a little stronger.

Bornem Dubbel - a typical Belgian Dubbel Abbey beer - dark brown and very lively. One of the best beers to use (in my opinion) if you are making a Flemish stew - or any sort of stew, for that matter. The usual dubbel flavours are there - fruit, demerara sugar etc. I'm not going to praise this beer to the rafters, but it is definitely ok, and it compares favourably to the more readily available Leffe Brune, and the hoppy aftertaste is much better. Like Leffe Brune though, it tastes a bit 'thin'.

Bornem Tripel - again, typical of the style for a Belgian Abbey Tripel - amber or straw-coloured, lively with a big head. The taste is apple, pineapple, a nice citrus tang that lasts for ever and which is perhaps more typical of a witbier as opposed to a tripel. Definitely an entry-level tripel. Not bad.

Piraat - an amber beer that actually looks more English than Belgian - but there any resemblance ends. Beautifully balanced between malt and hops, it is absolutely full of complex fruit flavours and has a long, hoppy after-taste. I love this beer.

Piraat Triple Hop - I must confess that I have never tried this beer at all (yet). I read on the brewery's website that hops are added three times (once in the boil and then twice dry-hopped) and there are actually 4 types of hop (saaz, tetra, aurora and cascade). I'm pretty sure it will have citrus/grapefruit notes from the cascade which will complement the maltiness (it seems to be the same grainbill as Piraat).

All of them would seem like they might taste better with a splash or two of Lemonade.

On 07/06/2018 at 14:46, eddie said:

I'd be crapping through the eye of a needle after that lot!

12 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I'd be crapping through the eye of a needle after that lot!

And there is the fundamental difference between a European beer drinker and a British one. 'That lot' would last me 3 days, not half an hour.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

And there is the fundamental difference between a European beer drinker and a British one. 'That lot' would last me 3 days, not half an hour.

True dat. I'd have that lot away by 9, move on to something else, regret it terribly until approxinately 4pm the following day... and repeat.

6 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

True dat. I'd have that lot away by 9, move on to something else, regret it terribly until approxinately 4pm the following day... and repeat.

Seriously, no, you don't.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:46, eddie said:

Just been to do the weekly shop at Lidl, Chaddesden.

For those of you who just might be interested, they have boxes of 6 Belgian beers in, the contents of each being as follows (each bottle 330 ml):

£11 a box.

I was quite restrained and just bought 4.

Be warned - these sell out VERY fast.

They also have some Corsendonk (I think).

I went there today. None of those boxes but they have 4 Corsendonk for £6.99, Bought 4 Brune and 4 Pale,