Beer Thread

Cisse

A 660ml bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra. From Nigeria at 7.5%.  Hate Guinness stout, too bitter for me but Foreign Extra is sweet and strong and meant to be chilled. Got used to it working in Africa. Lovely.   :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Just been to The Boat Inn in Cromford (a lovely little pub off the beaten track if you are in the area) and had a pint of the Hartington brewery’s IPA. I’ve only ever had the bitter before which is nice but I could have happily drank that all afternoon.

That was my local until last month. Always preferred the IPA to Hartington bitter; more body, and it doesn’t have that weird elderflower thing going on. The best pint of it I know is at the Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton, straight out of the barrel as nature intended. 

26 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

That was my local until last month. Always preferred the IPA to Hartington bitter; more body, and it doesn’t have that weird elderflower thing going on. The best pint of it I know is at the Barley Mow at Kirk Ireton, straight out of the barrel as nature intended. 

Out of interest did you ever have the food there? I’d only ever been in there before going to the tapas place so I’ve only ever been in for a quick pint (and sit by the fire on a cold winter night), but it always looked decent and the eating area is always packed. Was getting quite tempted with the carvery today!

I think the bitter is nice for one, on a country walk or summit. I grew up in north Derbyshire and happily driven out to different pubs across the region (the locals our way are a bit uninteresting and tourist-y so its better to drive out somewhere different for one than sit in the same pub paying £4 plus for rubbish)but I’ve never been to the Barley Mow. In fact aside The Knockerdown I don’t think I’ve been to many Ashbourne way at all. I know people love it there though, I should probably address this haha

5 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Out of interest did you ever have the food there

Yes, many times. It’s good quality, plentiful, standard pub fare, with the emphasis on filling you up, rather than haute cuisine. They serve all day, which is an advantage if you’re walking and don’t want to be bound by usual meal times. It’s a good local, fun and friendly. If you want something posher, but pricier, try the Greyhound.

The Barley at Kirk Ireton is one of those, experience it before it changes, places. It’s been the same landlady for at least 35 years that I know of. Numerous other great pubs in the area, Barley at Bonsall, Flying Childers at Stanton, Druid at Birchover, Nelson at Middleton etc etc. I’m now a devotee of the Royal Oak in Wirksworth, where Burton Bridge is still £3 a pint. 

On 15/04/2018 at 23:44, Lambchop said:

Yes, many times. It’s good quality, plentiful, standard pub fare, with the emphasis on filling you up, rather than haute cuisine. They serve all day, which is an advantage if you’re walking and don’t want to be bound by usual meal times. It’s a good local, fun and friendly. If you want something posher, but pricier, try the Greyhound.

The Barley at Kirk Ireton is one of those, experience it before it changes, places. It’s been the same landlady for at least 35 years that I know of. Numerous other great pubs in the area, Barley at Bonsall, Flying Childers at Stanton, Druid at Birchover, Nelson at Middleton etc etc. I’m now a devotee of the Royal Oak in Wirksworth, where Burton Bridge is still £3 a pint. 

Ah the Childers is about a mile from where I grew up so I know it well. There’s quite a few that way which are great pub hop (if you have a designated driver) inc Lathkil and Youlgreave.

Will need to check out The Royal Oak, also that micropub that’s recently opened there? I was at le mistral on Saturday night and it’s the first time I’d noticed it there (didn’t have time to go anywhere else unfortunately). I think a Wirksworth night out appears much different to how I remember it about ten years ago!

I felt quite down yesterday. Couldn't even motivate myself to do any 'real' work - I think it was because I had spent most of the day juggling pensions funds and finalising my annuities - loads of forms to fill in, loads of calculations to weigh up, decide how much I want tax-free for a new car, how much we need to live beyond our means etc.

So I opened a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 10.

Life suddenly seemed a lot better.

53 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

also that micropub that’s recently opened there? 

There’s the Feather Star and also a micropub attached to the Red Lion, which I haven’t tried yet. The Hopeless ******* has also recently reopened, and has a couple of decent Gaol Ales. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 17:39, Lambchop said:

The Barley Mow!! My favourite pub. Love Cromford (and The Boat) too. Hope you've moved somewhere with a decent pub.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Wirksworth, so the Royal Oak mainly, but plenty of good ‘uns still nearby, and Kirk Ireton is walkable!

The I like the Royal Oak. Funny opening hours though. What do you think to the micropub?

On 28/04/2018 at 12:06, CWC1983 said:

Asda are currently stocking Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine, a citrus session IPA. 

It would be superb on a hot sunny day, but it was just as nice on a cold wet evening like last night. 

1522165740CLOCKWORKTANGERINE660ml.png

Had one last night, very basic/one note but still very enjoyable if you just want a tasty thirst quencher

16 hours ago, froggg said:

In Derbyshire for nine days, loving these prices, Moca, Matlock 5.6 abv.

28015FAE-8A14-414B-8C41-B825556354C1.jpeg

If you are going to be in and around Matlock then there’s a little micro pub/ale stop place up near the town hall that has good reviews (although consistent to me in this thread I’m yet to go in myself).

On 28/04/2018 at 13:34, sage said:

The Barley Mow!! My favourite pub. Love Cromford (and The Boat) too. Hope you've moved somewhere with a decent pub.

@Lambchop I ended up going to the Golden Rams with my Grandad last week and decided to finish the day with a drive to the Barley Mow and it ended up being closed (think the shop next door said it doesn’t open until 7), so I missed out but I will get there...one day.

Ended up going near his and up to the Lathkil though so all was not lost!