Beer Thread

Cisse

Really? That's your overriding impression of Brewdog?

I think you may have missed the point somewhat. THey are a brewery primarily, but one that has opened a dozen bars over the last 2 or 3 years.

The Brewdog brewery are indeed inspired by the revolution that has taken place in American brewing over the last 35 years (since home brewing became legal in the States), but only really to the extent that, in common with the American craft industry, the Brewdog guys are home brewers who decided to scale up.

What they (two Scottish guys, NOT American - the brewery is in Fraserburgh) have done is pushed the boundaries - or rather cocked their legs at the boundaries and pissed all over them - and produced their own innovative products which should serve as an education to students of beer, but which some will look upon as a gimmick.

The most important aspect of brewing is fermentation - and Brewdog rather splendidly demonstrate the effect that these little beauties can have on the end product with their 'Unleash the Yeast' packs. Four totally separate and different brews from precisely the same wort (identical grain bill, identical hopping) - but different yeasts used which essentially produce an APA, a Pilsner, a Hefeweizen and a Trappist-style beer.

As far as 'American Hops' are concerned, what on Earth does that mean? Brewdog use Saaz in some brews, Nelson Sauvin in others, Galena, Challenger, EKG, Simcoe etc etc.

I'm wasting my time here. Forget it. They're an American 'craft' brewery and should therefore be derided.

Outrageous lies. The main brewery is now in Ellon after certain pressure was applied to increase their output :)

I did used to think their claim of being 'punk' was a bit stupid/wrong on account of them being available in Supermarkets. I know the error of my ways now anyway.

I did watch and enjoy the first episode of the TV series they have where the 2 main blokes go around American states sampling and recommending the best the local beer scene has to offer. It's basically beer - so many things I wanted to try after one episode and will strive to find when I can... made me want to go on a  trip of my own.

On another note, I fancy a trip up to Buxton one day to have a look at Buxton Brewery and nip into the tap house....

http://www.buxtonbrewery.co.uk/tap/

EDIT, that was until I looked at train prices. How do they justify £43 for a return ticket somewhere 33 miles away?

Worth checking out the bus service (transpeak I think), I don't know how much they are but I'm sure they must be cheaper than that!

About £11, I just checked. Ta. Problem with the train is that you have to go via Sheffield and Stockport, 2hr26min journey to go somewhere else in Derbyshire!

One for the future when my bank balance hasn't got a Christmas hangover.

blame Dr Beeching, and the Tory govenment that went through'with his recomendations.

Li' bito politics there.

About £11, I just checked. Ta. Problem with the train is that you have to go via Sheffield and Stockport, 2hr26min journey to go somewhere else in Derbyshire!

One for the future when my bank balance hasn't got a Christmas hangover.

Check out the Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket. 

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/public_transport/tickets_passes/rover_tickets/derbyshire_wayfarer/default.asp

Using a mixture of trains and buses you may be able to plan a decent pub crawl round Derbyshire for £11.60!

Outrageous lies. The main brewery is now in Ellon after certain pressure was applied to increase their output :)

My bad. They moved when I wasn't looking.

or *spit* Belgium.

Ha ha.

I'm currently drinking a Duvel Triple Hop - brewed in Belgium but very much with the American market in mind. I wouldn't want any more hops than this in any beer.

Tonight's first beer is a new one on me - Barbar Bok. I've had the blond Barbar honey beer plenty of times before - the first time was a decade ago in the Don Quichotte in Brugge and the barman gave me a free straw hat (some sort of offer - the hat survived for a couple of years until my cat ripped it to shreds).

http://www.brasserielefebvre.be/en/product/4/barbar-bok#/product/resized/4_barbarbrn-bouteille-et-verre-pt

The bok is rich and dark - the aroma is most definitely of honey but the taste is beautifully fruity/caramelly with a hint of spice. Definitely some liquorice hints there too - absolutely delicious.