Beer Thread

Cisse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With Kurt now using DPD for transportation, and their base shipping price from Antwerp being €13 for 35 kg (or was it 30?), last week I ordered a case of Gulden Draak 9000 and made up to the weight limit with some singles (a few bottles of Brugse Zot for the missus, a few others for me, including some I had never tried before). They arrived today - and tonight I opened a bottle of Brasserie de l'Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru - a beer I had never tried before.

Utterly blooming brilliant - incredibly fruity with caramel hints, but with a nice hoppy finish. 9/10 - will order again.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

With Kurt now using DPD for transportation, and their base shipping price from Antwerp being €13 for 35 kg (or was it 30?), last week I ordered a case of Gulden Draak 9000 and made up to the weight limit with some singles (a few bottles of Brugse Zot for the missus, a few others for me, including some I had never tried before). They arrived today - and tonight I opened a bottle of Brasserie de l'Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru - a beer I had never tried before.

Utterly blooming brilliant - incredibly fruity with caramel hints, but with a nice hoppy finish. 9/10 - will order again.

Would love to try some Saint Sixtus, but getting hold of it is a right ball ache!

7 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Would love to try some Saint Sixtus, but getting hold of it is a right ball ache!

€12 a bottle from Kurt.

I had a couple last Christmas - I preferred Trappistes Rochfort 10.

6 hours ago, eddie said:

€12 a bottle from Kurt.

I had a couple last Christmas - I preferred Trappistes Rochfort 10.

Interesting. I thought it was still the old cloak and dagger schizzle of calling them up, then trekking to collect it from the monk at the front gate under the cover of darkness.......if your lucky!

I'll have to investigate. Would like to try it even if it's overrated.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting. I thought it was still the old cloak and dagger schizzle of calling them up, then trekking to collect it from the monk at the front gate under the cover of darkness.......if your lucky!

I'll have to investigate. Would like to try it even if it's overrated.

It's not supposed to be resold, but it is. A couple of years ago the monastry said that they were clamping down, but it never happened. Every bar in Brugge had a few bottles last year - at a price, of course - and I expect they will have when I go over again this year. Got to love the Eurostar.

Tonight's 'never had this beer before' beer is Kasteel Barista Chocolate Quad.

Intense - far too chocolatey for me. I will struggle on though.

Not beer, but finally got to try the Corryvreckan last night. Didn’t want to punt 70 quid on an unknown, and it’s not the sort of thing pubs tend to stock. 

I’m a fan of the 10yr old and Uigeadail, but this was something special. At 57% it just explodes in your mouth (I know) and goes through so many levels of flavour it’s like having 4 at once (I know). 

Also the perfect compliment to the Burton Bridge Best, which comes as standard. 

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/10767/ardbeg-corryvreckan

17 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

The football is crap, what drink has it resorted you too?

image.jpg

As I posted in the match thread, Straffe Hendrik Quad. It's my go-to 'comfort' beer.