Manchester United

Bridgford Ram

After watching United's games - albeit highlights only - it is still really obvious that they are not getting decisions that they would have got under Alex Ferguson, and if anything this has got worse under Mourinho.

It shows that, whether you love or hate him (and I am not a fan) Ferguson managed the referees perfectly whereas Mourinho appears to have pushed them the other way (not just at Old Trafford but at Chelsea too).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that clubs/ referees just aren't scared of Manchester United anymore. When Fergie was in charge there was almost a fear from smaller clubs coming up against United, they pretty much had won the game before a ball was kicked. Now days teams just aren't intimidated anymore, in fact I think they are excited by the prospect of playing and beating them. 

Ferguson could be an arse with the referees, but I think you're doing him a disservice here. The reason his Man United team got more decisions than any Mourinho team is because they played more attacking football and spent more time in and around the oppositions area, not because he had some hoodoo over the referees.

The standard of refereeing is generally shocking even in the Premiership, look at the "goal" Middlesborough scored at Goodison Park at the weekend, the best thing you can hope for as a manager is that you get an equal amount of refereeing duff decisions for you then against you

I think its a bit of both. Great attacking play and he definitely built up a fear factor over the refs. 

His Aberdeen teams were functional, and he learned his trade and ironed out his mistakes in the North East. Look at the comparison of the way he used younger players at both clubs. Run them into the ground at Aberdeen, protected them at Man Utd. 

He will rightly be remembered as the greatest manager in the Uk if not the world.

Personally I cant stand Mourinho, and hope he fails. Im not sure him and Man Utd fit each other. 

There definitely was a psychological aspect, I remember someone actually ran the stats and "Fergie time" was a real effect (added time was longer when Man U were losing, something like 23 seconds).

CWC's right, if say a winger is very highly regarded, a prancing golden coque of a man loved by Fergie, the papers, MOTD and so on, is getting the better of the full back time and again, and the full back has fouled him a few times, you then see the ref also giving free kicks which weren't there, because he just "feels" a weight.

I hated Fergie at the time, but he did have an aura about him/his teams, his teams were bloody good, genuinely great at times and seemingly got away with all sorts of marginals due to it. I wouldn't call him best in the world, if only because he only managed in Britain where others have succeeded in several leagues (and Aberdeen were oil rich at the time). He has a shout at best in UK, along with Clough, some rat bag who managed Leeds, Shankley, Busby and so on

And yeah, Jose don't have that. He pulled it off for a wee while when he first came, but it didn't last.

Couldn't stand United under Alex Ferguson, just for the way they came across as real bully boys and that arrogance they had just put me right off. Loved it when Barcelona took them to pieces, twice.

But a lot of the hate for United was due to how successful they were, and how good of a manager SAF was. He is the only manager who consistently got top performances out of average players.

Players like Ashley Young, Johnny Evans, John O'Shea, Nani, Ji-Sung Park, Anderson, Wes Brown, Darren Fletcher and even Michael Carrick was hardly a world class player.

Sometimes I'd look at the United line-up, especially after the likes of Tevez and Ronaldo had left them, and wonder how they were so dominant... That was down the manager and the aura his teams had.

Referees used to hand them an extra 5+ points a season though poor decisions, and sometimes those margins made all the difference. However, like Bournemouth when every week the opposition seemed to have a man sent off against them or give away a penalty, getting in those positions and moving with pace forces last-ditch challenges.

United under Fergie always played with speed, width and directness while they got their fair share of decisions, their style ofplay certainly was a contributing factor. Van Gaal and Mourinho since play slow, boring football.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Couldn't stand United under Alex Ferguson, just for the way they came across as real bully boys and that arrogance they had just put me right off. Loved it when Barcelona took them to pieces, twice.

But a lot of the hate for United was due to how successful they were, and how good of a manager SAF was. He is the only manager who consistently got top performances out of average players.

Players like Ashley Young, Johnny Evans, John O'Shea, Nani, Ji-Sung Park, Anderson, Wes Brown, Darren Fletcher and even Michael Carrick was hardly a world class player.

Sometimes I'd look at the United line-up, especially after the likes of Tevez and Ronaldo had left them, and wonder how they were so dominant... That was down the manager and the aura his teams had.

Referees used to hand them an extra 5+ points a season though poor decisions, and sometimes those margins made all the difference. However, like Bournemouth when every week the opposition seemed to have a man sent off against them or give away a penalty, getting in those positions and moving with pace forces last-ditch challenges.

United under Fergie always played with speed, width and directness while they got their fair share of decisions, their style ofplay certainly was a contributing factor. Van Gaal and Mourinho since play slow, boring football.

Rooney also was a tremendous player back then. That front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez was utterly terrifying. Now he's an absolute liability and for some reason still starts every game regardless of how woeful he is now.

18 hours ago, Anon said:

Ferguson could be an arse with the referees, but I think you're doing him a disservice here. The reason his Man United team got more decisions than any Mourinho team is because they played more attacking football and spent more time in and around the oppositions area, not because he had some hoodoo over the referees.

and the reason why they scored so many late late goals. By spending the last 10 minutes in games laying siege to their opponents goal.

Players not giving their all for the manager, yet the manager takes the rap mostly for poor systems and tactics, remind you of anyone else?

Ferguson they were great, Moyes, LVG, Mourinho crap.

McClaren......Clement, Wassall, Pearson.

(Maybe slightly harsh on Clement as he took us top but we weren't great)

Archived