If Joey Barton is sacked would you take him?

JG400

23 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We do not need a disruptive, self centered attention whore who is likely to do or say something stupid at any time. On the pitch I can understand some of his merits but the level of baggage he comes with isn't even close to worth it in my opinion.

this.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we have Barton who do we drop to accommodate him? The midfield three that started against Wolves was Johnson, Butterfield and Hughes. Bryson is obviously also around the first team. Thorne probably won't be fit until well into next year.

Regarding the Rams, a brutal question that needs to be asked is whether our team is mentally tough enough and whether it has enough steel. Do opponents like playing against us or is something they dread? The question for Barton who undoubtedly has been a highly talented midfielder over many years is whether he is still up to it or if, now aged 34, the legs just aren't good enough.

Sadly for Derby I think we do not have the mental strength right now to get promoted and also suspect teams love playing us. The Barton question makes me think that the only place he would fit in McClaren's 3-man midfield is the defensive role, currently filled by Johnson. For which reports have also suggested we're looking at young Poyet. Would Barton be a better option than Johnson (or Poyet) right now? If so, I would take him until the end of the season as cover for Thorne, hoping George can replace him and is pulling the strings well before the playoff final.

19 hours ago, KBB said:

So let's see where we stand.

according to the forum the following are on only players outside of our first team to own a pair of football boots, ply in these set positions and can be considered for potential signings.

RB wisdom

CB buxton

DM barton

ST Rhodes

whats that? Keogh is rubbish? Bring back Buxton.

whats that? Christie is injured? Bring back wisdom, he would definitely come, get him in on emergency Ioan.....

whats that? Bartons been released? Get him in. I've heard of him and seen him on match of the day punching fellow players, think he said Steve is a good coach too

whats that? Bent is rubbish? Get Rhodes in, his goals guarantee we will get promoted

You forgot get rid of Wassall and bring Pearson in.

Also Leon Osman is available...

On 16/09/2016 at 17:23, MuespachRam said:

He would be a brilliant signing for us....exactly what we need and what we have needed for the last few years.

We need a captain....the last one I can remember would probably be Van der Laan.

He's a scouser.

Thats that screwed.

I don't think we're short of players who'll make a tackle. Johnson is a physically strong tackler. Baird is an old head who likes a tackle (if he can catch up with them first). Also, in case nobody noticed, Will Hughes really goes in hard on the tackle when he needs to and has impeccable timing too.

I can't stand this obsession with needing a thug in midfield. It's not a necessary part of the game. Joey Barton hits hard in the tackle because he's not a good enough footballer to play any other way. We need to start looking at other ways we can protect our back 4 in the middle of the park. Maybe we need leadership or experience, but Barton doesn't provide that, he's just not a good footballer and he doesn't seem to know **** all about the game. There's an assumed wisdom around him because he kicks people and gets away with it, therefore he must be some sort of sneaky genius. He's not, he's just a football relic. We might as well just bring Vinnie Jones out of retirement. Or Robbie Savage. Or Jason Statham as Monk from the film Mean Machine.

Have a read of this and you might know where I'm coming from. As soon as I read this a few months back I was glad that someone within the game was seeing it the way I have done for ages:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/blog/2012/jan/13/the-secret-footballer-tackle-obsession

We don't need a bruiser. Football in general has no room for them anymore. They are just yellow and red carded into oblivion. Kyle McFadzean for instance?!

The Kante types are the modern variant, quick to cover ground and put blocks in and/or interceptions. All out tough tackling is too risky.

If we must go "old head" Leon Osman for me. 

1 minute ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

We don't need a bruiser. Football in general has no room for them anymore. They are just yellow and red carded into oblivion. Kyle McFadzean for instance?!

The Kante types are the modern variant, quick to cover ground and put blocks in and/or interceptions. All out tough tackling is too risky.

If we must go "old head" Leon Osman for me. 

If we wanted a bruiser we've already got one in Johnson anyway.

If we're looking for our version of Kante then surely we should look no further than Bryson?

I think we're spoilt for choice in central midfield anyway without bringing in somebody who thinks he's god's gift to football in the way that Barton does. 

When the going get's tough we lack the midfielder who will wrench us up from the pits, dish the bollockings out and try and get us on the front foot again. We miss the midfielder who will take a card for the team when a midfielder is running through the middle at us, we miss a character.

The guy was bloody superb for Burnley last season, and before somebody says "We have Jamie Hanson who can play there", not good enough mate.

1 hour ago, Milbs said:

When the going get's tough we lack the midfielder who will wrench us up from the pits, dish the bollockings out and try and get us on the front foot again. We miss the midfielder who will take a card for the team when a midfielder is running through the middle at us, we miss a character.

The guy was bloody superb for Burnley last season, and before somebody says "We have Jamie Hanson who can play there", not good enough mate.

We have Jamie Hanson who can play there. 

Archived