Anya - Signed 4 year deal

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Rev_Charles_Clinkard said:

Blessings my children.  

And behold! It came to pass that unto you cometh Ikechi Anya.  A player with whom we Watford fans have spent four seasons.  

The lord has blessed Ikechi richly with the speed of a gazelle and the afro of a lion.  

He hath sorely deceived us many times by galloping down the right wing with the ball at his feet as though the very devil himself were behind him.  He maketh us Hornets rise to our feet and raise our voices in excited cheers!  

But lo!  Those voices of praise were silenced when the eventual cross was inevitably either ballooned out of play for a throw in to the opposition on the other side of the pitch or tamely prodded to the feet of the first defender.  

With this he hath caused us to become sorely vexed. He has caused great wailing, beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth, until eventually we hath cast him out.

He's a lovely lad and always gives his all.  There's no chance of him hiding or not wanting the ball.  He's got some decent tricks and step overs etc.  He's just not quite good enough for the Prem.

Enjoy.

I fear Rev, that should this come to pass,  then the faithful will wax wroth. 

Then shall the children of Chadd rise up and  BOOOO the cloven hoofed heathen.....

I do like the afro. Does look like Alex the lion from madagascar :lol:

11 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Football about far more than stats!! Would be know point playing if everything happened as it would on paper. 

The guy played wingback quite often, Russell played as a wide forward. If he didn't score and assist a few you'd be asking questions. This guys a good player and proper direct, just what we need. (Amongst other things)

If we based everything on stats we would be wrong, but equally reading our Watford friends summing up, I'm not convinced we will not be seeing the same comments that are aimed at Russell and Christie etc fired in the direction of this lad in the near future, I hope I'm wrong and he is a success by the way before I get jumpedon as not giving the lad a chance! 

Fast and direct is fine but at the moment we seem to be wanting a lot of fast and direct..... we need some creativity from somewhere too, as its lacking atm

Just now, Ramsley said:

If we based everything on stats we would be wrong, but equally reading our Watford friends summing up, I'm not convinced we will not be seeing the same comments that are aimed at Russell and Christie etc fired in the direction of this lad in the near future, I hope I'm wrong and he is a success by the way before I get jumpedon as not giving the lad a chance! 

Fast and direct is fine but at the moment we seem to be buying a lot of fast and direct..... we need some creativity from somewhere too, as its lacking atm

To be honest I'm just happy getting players in that Pearson actually wants. I have no idea what our best eleven or formation is at the minute. The sooner that's sorted the better. 

Would imagine anya will play wide right for the foreseeable future. At least is one position sort of taken care of.

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

So not as good as Russell then

Not as many goals. Hopefully not as many giving the ball away either. I hope we keep Russell, he can be very good on his day.

Evening Rams. First Vyds now 'kech! Again I'm happy when a fans' favourite comes to Derby as Derby County is my wife's team so it's good to keep these transfers in the family. It's a bit easier than letting go of MV but Anya was pretty decent for us, and not just in the Championship. A lot of the fans around where I sit were pleasantly surprised at how easily he stepped up to the Premier League. BUT NO,  the vicar don't lie, Anya's end product can be a major frustration. However, as many of you have already mentioned, his energy, pace & versatility has been more than useful on many an occasion. Especially from the bench when there's tired legs out there. He can slot into different systems and can play either wing. Many Watford fans say he's no defender but I think that's unfair. He reads the game well and can be a nuisance at either end of the pitch. And there's been many an occasion when he has sent in good balls which can go to waste so the lack of assist stat can look harsh. Anyway,  here's a couple of things worth bearing in mind as to why Pearson wants him:

1. Speed, trickery, versatility etc 

2. Great attitude. Works hard. Gets on with everyone.

3. Can still be improved with good coaching (he used to play as a striker, so there's a good finisher there).

4. Has international experience and Strachan rates him highly. And yes there's that goal against Germany.

5. Has promotion experience to help deliver you from those demons. And although it was the year we failed at Wembley, he was key in this (he brings the ball down, runs and feeds Forestieri - but the commentary misses that bit)

6. He has great hair.

Archived