Good luck to one of our own

Jeff Hendrick is one of our longest serving players to date, you don't get his loyalty in the game of football very often.

Anybody who comes out with 'I'll drive him myself to Burnley' or 'good to see the back of him', you need to think about the loyalty he has shown to DCFC from an early age.

He left home and lived in a different country away from any family or friends, he has come through our own academy and is just about to be sold for a record fee for our club. We should have nothing but praise for this lad and wish him well.

With the right coaching he could be one of the best midfielders in the premier league, he showed what he can do in the Euro's, he's shown to us what he can achieve, he just needs a manager to make him more consistent, that's it.

Good luck Jeff and we hope to see you at the iPro again one day soon when Derby get back to the Premier League.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will always remember him wheeling away in delight after killing off Forest with the 3rd goal in the best game ever just before half time. As a midfielder he had absolutely no business being that far forward, but that optimism and drive epitomised everything I loved about that McClaren team and Hendrick as a player.

Leeds away last season, not a great game but he opened the scoring up by putting Sol Bamba on his arse and slotting home through the keepers legs. Lovely bit of skill, if he sorts out his IMO mental frailties, he'll continue to grow and have a strong premier league career.

18 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Jeff Hendrick is one of our longest serving players to date, you don't get his loyalty in the game of football very often.

Anybody who comes out with 'I'll drive him myself to Burnley' or 'good to see the back of him', you need to think about the loyalty he has shown to DCFC from an early age.

He left home and lived in a different country away from any family or friends, he has come through our own academy and is just about to be sold for a record fee for our club. We should have nothing but praise for this lad and wish him well.

With the right coaching he could be one of the best midfielders in the premier league, he showed what he can do in the Euro's, he's shown to us what he can achieve, he just needs a manager to make him more consistent, that's it.

Good luck Jeff and we hope to see you at the iPro again one day soon when Derby get back to the Premier League.

I do wish him well but please?..... he's no different to thousands of other young men of similar age who leave home, get a job, go to university etc etc. He works one hours' flying time from Dublin - I'm sure many fans travel that or more on a daily basis. For a 24 year old he is extremely well paid. Maybe part of the reason he's stayed at Derby is I don't recall anyone bidding for him until now. Could be one of the best midfielders in the Premiership - do me a favour - never in a month of Sundays!

Good luck to him, I hope he does well but let's not pretend he's a Bobby Moore or Bobby Charlton as far as club loyalty is concerned!

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

I do wish him well but please?..... he's no different to thousands of other young men of similar age who leave home, get a job, go to university etc etc. He works one hours' flying time from Dublin - I'm sure many fans travel that or more on a daily basis. For a 24 year old he is extremely well paid. Maybe part of the reason he's stayed at Derby is I don't recall anyone bidding for him until now.

Good luck to him, I hope he does well but let's not pretend he's a Bobby Moore or Bobby Charlton as far as club loyalty is concerned!

Well that's a bunch of fireworks definitely pissed on.  ?

32 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I do wish him well but please?..... he's no different to thousands of other young men of similar age who leave home, get a job, go to university etc etc. He works one hours' flying time from Dublin - I'm sure many fans travel that or more on a daily basis. For a 24 year old he is extremely well paid. Maybe part of the reason he's stayed at Derby is I don't recall anyone bidding for him until now. Could be one of the best midfielders in the Premiership - do me a favour - never in a month of Sundays!

Agree with the sentiments of the OP but I have to agree with Wolfie. Loyalty in football disappeared a long time ago. Hendrick did what he did to chase a dream of becoming a pro footballer and not through loyalty to Derby.

Nobody can argue with Hendricks contributions to the club but to say that he is essentially 'Derby through and through like a stick of rock' is a fallacy. OP didn't say this to be fair but the point remains.

You have to wish Hendrick well at Burnley and thank him for all the service and memories of course.

58 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Well said that man! Plus the winning 10 man bullet goal v forest ... That takes some beating!

Why the need to play down the O.P's sentiment?

Here is a kid who has come through our Academy, played over 200 games, scored a few memorable goals and now we are going to cash in on his talent! Had he stayed he could have probably smashed the most capped international player stats whilst playing for the Rams by a distance; that's no mean feat. But he's going to a Prem team because we were not able to take him there ourselves.

Whether he goes on to better things, improves as a player or justifies his fee remains to be seen. The fact is loyalty or not, he HAS developed and served Derby well; he should leave with every fans best wishes. The memory of the winning goal against Forest with 10 men will live on a long, long time.

Good luck Jeff, will watch your career with interest.

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Because the OP dared to criticise our football experts who wanted to sell him at the start of the transfer window for somewhere between 3 and 6 million and they are understandably upset.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

Because the OP dared to criticise our football experts who wanted to sell him at the start of the transfer window for somewhere between 3 and 6 million and they are understandably upset.

There needs to be a rolleyes emoticon function :)

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Because there are too many graceless nerks on social media who forgot what their mothers told them about if you have nothing good to say, say nothing. 

If the thread had been entitled 'is Jeff worth £10m' or 'Was Jeff loyal' then fair enough. It's a debate starter.

This is a thread for showing appreciation... However, it will turn into another 'was Jeff any good' debate because people can't resist.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

How many 16 year olds do you know of who were living independently from their parents? 

The highlight of the Euro's for me was watching Jeff doing really well against some of Europe's better midfielders.

I rate him and agree with some of the sensible posters on here who say that he can go on and use Burnley as a stepping stone to his next move.

Thanks for the goals and the performances Jeff (especially Brighton in the PO SF and Wolves at home last year) and good luck.

Hope the move goes well,thanks for your effort you gave in the rams shirt,also it is nice to see the academy.structure,

working, will not mention Clough .--Lets thank Wasell for bringing a plan to its conclusion,A player giving service to the club

and being sold on for a profit 10-million est,good for the player--good for the club.Shows the academy,worth while,

Hope Pearson brave enough to start using it,after 3 barren years going for a spend spend ,money will fix it,route.

Back to the Derby way,Build a team,  

I was never one of Hendricks biggest fans, felt he went missing in a few too many games for us and never quite turned a game on his own in the same way Bryson could. Rather i've always seen him as a good barometer for how we're doing. If Hendrick's an 8/10, you can bet 90% of the team are 8/10 also, if he's a 5/10, it's likely not many are having a good day.

BUT

He scored the winner from 20 yards in one of our most memorable ever wins at the City Ground. I can still visualise that moment in my mind's eye. Magic.

Scored a goal in our best win over Forest for 100 odd years.

Played for us well over 200 times which is no mean feat in this day and age. In fact I don't know who the last player to do this for us was?

Has netted the club 10 million quid with which to re-invest.

Came up through our academy, forever being compared to Will Hughes/Mason Bennett who both started for us at a younger age, yet here he is, having secured a move to a Premier League club.

Played superbly in the Euros whilst representing Derby and has a good number of caps.

Good luck to the lad.

Archived