EFL to consider Celtic and Rangers for inclusion in new 'fifth division'

Day

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, McRamFan said:

Germany is direct, UK six changes minimum and more expensive....QED

6 changes but only 20 minutes longer total journey including waiting time and just £4 more expensive than going to Newcastle

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 12.12.37.png

1 minute ago, David said:

6 changes but only 20 minutes longer total journey including waiting time and just £4 more expensive than going to Newcastle

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 12.12.37.png

The thing is, more changes the greater the risk you could miss one, I'd pay more and take direct any day, and in this case its cheaper.

Getting up, gathering all your stuff together, exit the train, find your next platform, walk/run to platform, get on next train, find your seat, settle down, get your ticket out for inspection...rinse and repeat six times, no thanks.

3 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

The thing is, more changes the greater the risk you could miss one, I'd pay more and take direct any day, and in this case its cheaper.

Getting up, gathering all your stuff together, exit the train, find your next platform, walk/run to platform, get on next train, find your seat, settle down, get your ticket out for inspection...rinse and repeat six times, no thanks.

Stop it now! argue the rights and wrongs of Scottish teams in England fair enough but if we're getting to the point where it's simply concern for some fans getting on the right train I think my work here is done.

2 hours ago, David said:

This would allow you to reduce mid week games down to the same level as Prem clubs, this would bump attendances across the country which will help the lower league clubs. 

Why would this be the case? Lower league clubs are currently required to play 5/6 fixtures midweek throughout the season and attendances in those midweek fixtures are roughly 70% of what clubs can expect on a Saturday. All you're doing by removing additional fixtures from the calendar is depriving the team of 4 chances to earn money from a home fixture. The old firm clubs would boost average attendances significantly, for one season before they got promoted.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Stop it now! argue the rights and wrongs of Scottish teams in England fair enough but if we're getting to the point where it's simply concern for some fans getting on the right train I think my work here is done.

You started by bringing transport into it, and that does come into bearing of them possibly joining and the impact on travelling fans.

How many away games could the Glasgow clubs fans get to, what impact will this has on revenue.

Why stop countering your statements?

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

You started by bringing transport into it, and that does come into bearing of them possibly joining and the impact on travelling fans.

How many away games could the Glasgow clubs fans get to, what impact will this has on revenue.

Why stop countering your statements?

Probably all of them as they have loads of support all over the country.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

Why would this be the case? Lower league clubs are currently required to play 5/6 fixtures midweek throughout the season and attendances in those midweek fixtures are roughly 70% of what clubs can expect on a Saturday. All you're doing by removing additional fixtures from the calendar is depriving the team of 4 chances to earn money from a home fixture. The old firm clubs would boost average attendances significantly, for one season before they got promoted.

The 30% extra at games paying a higher ticket price (midweek usually cheaper) plus costs saving from hosting games/travelling to games, could benefit clubs. I don't want to state it as a fact, purely guess work.

Would help the team on the pitch as well with longer times between games, chance to recover better, could this in turn reduce squad sizes? 

The FL have to play their part as well, a better tv deal will be in place with the possible 4 years of the Old Firm in the FL, this needs to be distributed more fairly down the leagues.

Might be talking out my arse, which happens from time to time.

Am I the only one who would like anything lower than the championship to be regional? More local games means less travelling and more support for local teams. In my 20's I used to go to Northampton Town as it was local and I was skint. Didn't mind the trips to London but too far up north and it became silly. I certainly wouldn't go to Scotland for a game. 

6 hours ago, David said:

The solution to make this work is fairly simple as well and could benefit a lot of clubs and fans.

Reduce Championship, League 1, 2 and Conference Premier down to 20 clubs, that will give you 16 to create League 3, plus Rangers and Celtic to make it 18.

This would allow you to reduce mid week games down to the same level as Prem clubs, this would bump attendances across the country which will help the lower league clubs. 

Despite the hatred from many for the Old Firm you know most clubs would sell out when they come down and the away allocations up there.

SPL will be better balanced as a result.

SPL will become a semi-pro league if Rangers/Celtic leave, most of the TV money comes by a fact of them too being there.

Only likes of Hearts, Aberdeen may stay full time.

On 29 August 2016 at 10:36, LeedsCityRam said:

What I particularly don't understand here is the outright hypocrisy of the Old Firm - particularly Celtic, in constantly agitating for a move to the English Leagues.

Celtic are a club formed by Irish diaspora, who profess to despise England/English institutions, have a sizable % of their fanbase who glorify the IRA & who desperately wanted Scotland to become independent but then conveniently want to ignore all of that to chase a few quid in England. Its laughable. If they are genuine in their love of Ireland & want to leave the SPL that badly, they should join the League of Ireland instead.

As for whether English clubs would want Celtic & Rangers - certainly, there would be strong financial arguments in favour particularly increased gate receipts & TV interest. However, the Old Firm represent everything that is wrong about modern football - the mindless bigotry, the brazen gloryhunting, the supine press up in Scotland...add in the massive increases in police costs needed to stop elements of these large away followings from smashing up English provincial towns/cities & I think you'd have to conclude it would be a bad move.

The Irish diaspora don't hate England. Only the noisiest ones, which brings to mind what my dear old gran used to say about empty vessels.

Clearly this makes perfect sense for the two clubs involved. Big clubs, with big fanbases, atrophying in a very small league, reduced to competing with championship and league 1 clubs for players.  Big TV money awaits in England.  It makes sense for the FA too, two more big clubs will only make the English League stronger, or the British League if you want to rename it.  I think the despicable sectarian sections of both these club fanbases won't present much of problem to the rest of the league, it's really only each other they seem to hate.  I think the majority of their fans aren't that extreme anyway.  Interestingly their may be periods with no Old Firm League clashes if this comes to pass, as they may often be in different divisions.  Obviously the Scottish FA will be against it for their own justifiable reasons.  But with Welsh teams already competing in the English League, surely the precedent has already been set. 

3 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

SPL will become a semi-pro league if Rangers/Celtic leave, most of the TV money comes by a fact of them too being there.

Only likes of Hearts, Aberdeen may stay full time.

And they'd probably ask to join the EFL a few years later.

The clue is there in the name EFL not BFL, I know there are some Welsh clubs here already but that is long established and we can't change that even if we wanted to. 

But it's a huge "NO!!" from me for anyone else outside the English borders wanting to join our leagues. 

They want devolution well here's your devolution early Nicola "sour puss"  Sturgeon. I for one don't want Scots teams in our Leagues so stay your side of Hadrian's wall and we will stay on ours. 

Rant over

You add Scottish teams into the leagues now, in 100 years it would be established just as the Welsh teams are. It's literally no different other than not being around to see it become established. 

If Aberystwyth Town came calling would it still be a no? sorry, not interested, yeah I know Swansea and Cardiff are here but they've been here 100 odd years now and you haven't. Or is this just a hatred for the Old Firm or Scotland, would Livingston also be a no?

Reminds me of when fans call Wembley and the iPro soulless, the Baseball Ground and old Wembley earned their souls over time not night. Those young kids having pictures taken with Rammie at the side of the pitch will grow up and tell the stories of standing in the South Stand to their kids, grandkids, how tickets were only £12 in those days, how much for a pie??!! they were only £4 for a balti back in the day.

Will be exactly the same as the chippy and night in the Popside stood on milk crates. Youthful memories will always cherished. 

History has to start somewhere, to reject any form of change because it doesn't sit right with the current generation is wrong.

If this is the E in EFL really is England only let's kick Swansea and Cardiff out now, fairs fair. Unless I'm mistaken the E is a result of recent branding anyway as it was just called The Football League before although I'm open to be proved wrong on that. 

What it's called is pretty irrelevant now anyhow as the name will always change to whoever bids the most money.

To be honest I'd happily welcome all the other Scottish teams into a British league system if that's what they decided they wanted, just not Rangers and Celtic. The thing is that I've seen nothing, from the fans at least, to suggest that they would favour such a move.

Archived