EFL to consider Celtic and Rangers for inclusion in new 'fifth division'

Day

Shaun Harvey, the English Football League chief executive, says that his members will decide whether Celtic and Rangers can join a new ‘fifth division’ planned for the start of the 2019-2020 season.

The 72 EFL clubs are being asked for their opinions on how the Football League expands to four divisions of 20 teams each, as part of the ‘Whole Game Solution’. The two Scottish clubs have long been considered a possibility for the new ‘fifth division’ and Harvey says the final decision will be down to his members.

“We have recently gone out to our clubs to elicit their further views in relation to any different number of areas from the proposition that was first put forward. Once we have their views we can move forward,” he said.

“One of the simple questions is, if this is to proceed, is where should the [new] teams come from? So the only ones who will decide that are the clubs themselves, so we will see what they say. I don’t want to pre-empt anything.”

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/28/english-football-league-to-consider-celtic-and-rangers-for-inclu/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By joining the English league they would both be writing off all European football however brief that maybe, I just can't see them going for it. Obviously if they make it to the Prem they stand a chance, look at Leicester but both are so far behind the top Prem clubs it would take years unless you're banking on a freak season again.

Wouldn't bother me seeing them both play in England, we have Cardiff and Swansea, be a couple of great away games to add to the list, the FL would need to be careful with mid week games tho, you can't have Brighton going up to Glasgow on a Tuesday night. 

I can't stand the old firm. The rivalry is an absolute **** show. Both club's fans are complete sets of bellends. Rangers at least seem to be aware that they're bell ends. Celtic absolutely do my head in with their self aggrandising twoddle about being the most amazing fans ever. "More than a club" **** off. Stay in your shitty containment league.

Absolutely not, not now, not ever! Purely a money-grabbing attempt but at last they appear to have the decency to allow the Football League clubs to decide and shame on every one that votes in favour - you tell the Accringtons', Exeters' and Hartlepools of this world that their place is being bought by Celtic and Rangers (anyway, Jeff Stelling wouldn't allow it).

Only a matter of time before this was resurrected and you do have to wonder how much lobbying is being done behind the scenes and whether any palms are being greased?

What I particularly don't understand here is the outright hypocrisy of the Old Firm - particularly Celtic, in constantly agitating for a move to the English Leagues.

Celtic are a club formed by Irish diaspora, who profess to despise England/English institutions, have a sizable % of their fanbase who glorify the IRA & who desperately wanted Scotland to become independent but then conveniently want to ignore all of that to chase a few quid in England. Its laughable. If they are genuine in their love of Ireland & want to leave the SPL that badly, they should join the League of Ireland instead.

As for whether English clubs would want Celtic & Rangers - certainly, there would be strong financial arguments in favour particularly increased gate receipts & TV interest. However, the Old Firm represent everything that is wrong about modern football - the mindless bigotry, the brazen gloryhunting, the supine press up in Scotland...add in the massive increases in police costs needed to stop elements of these large away followings from smashing up English provincial towns/cities & I think you'd have to conclude it would be a bad move.

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Isn't there a clue in the name English Football League - and anyway, what happens when that mad biddy gets her way with another referendum and we re-build the wall? will they have to both move to Berwick-upon-Tweed?

Bit cynical but I'm sure it must have occurred to Westminster that incorporating Celtic & Rangers into 'British' football institutions might take the wind out of the SNP's sails. Once they're in, any threat of expelling them on pain of independence could be a very powerful tool....

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I can't stand the old firm. The rivalry is an absolute **** show. Both club's fans are complete sets of bellends. Rangers at least seem to be aware that they're bell ends. Celtic absolutely do my head in with their self aggrandising twoddle about being the most amazing fans ever. "More than a club" **** off. Stay in your shitty containment league.

I'm sorry, is that a 'for' or 'against'?

35 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

They'd max out at Championship level anyway and the when they played south coast clubs the travel for fans would be a joke. It just doesn't work.

And where does it stop when you start allowing professional teams to pick and choose which league they play in? - Arsenal applying to join the French League? Chelsea in Italy? The Rams in Scotland? - farcical idea that needs to be put to bed once and for all - if Rangers and Celtic want more competitive football, they should share some of their revenue around to help the smaller Scottish clubs grow, not abandon them to whither and die.....

Arsenal joining the French league isn't quite the same. Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham all playing in England, you have Berwick Rangers playing in Scotland, Gretna were accepted into Scottish leagues not long ago having played in England weirdly as were Annan Athletic. Plenty more have made the switch back and forth.

I'd imagine most kick off times would be moved on police advice to cut down on drunks starting trouble. If the police advised the Hibs pre-season game against us to be cancelled, imagine how many games they would want as early kick offs or mid week evening games in the hope of stopping fans from travelling. 

49 minutes ago, David said:

Arsenal joining the French league isn't quite the same. Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham all playing in England, you have Berwick Rangers playing in Scotland, Gretna were accepted into Scottish leagues not long ago having played in England weirdly as were Annan Athletic. Plenty more have made the switch back and forth.

I'm not sure I see such a big difference between Rangers and Celtic wanting to leave their league and join one in another country than Arsenal (for instance) deciding that they'll never win the PL again and deciding to try their chances in France. It's the start of a slippery slope if this idea is allowed to come to fruition.....

People underestimate just how far the old firm "brands" will help them get the money to be in the PL if madness ever takes hold they get let in- they'd get there and sustain it, probably never challenge top 5/6 but once there likely to stay.

I loath and despise both the idea of killing Scottish football by having green scum and orange scum admitted to the English leagues and the idea of having b teams in the lower leagues (the second objective). I suspect the old firm thing is only in there as an item intended to be negotiated out followed by "no scottish clubs, but b teams in is the compromise"

The Welsh clubs thing is an historical thing with having them play in the English system being the only sensible way to do it at the time and is one of those things that's a fudge, but works well enough but hardly a precedent to take clubs from other existing football nations.

Why not PSG? clearly PSG would cut it in the PL, be a money maker, hasten the cause of the big club super league they all dream of.

Archived