EFL to consider Celtic and Rangers for inclusion in new 'fifth division'

Day

25 minutes ago, David said:

....History has to start somewhere, to reject any form of change because it doesn't sit right with the current generation is wrong.....

So we should accept this because it's wrong to want things to stay as they are? - frankly, that is a ridiculous thing to say....

If this is a genuine proposal then it should be put to the fans of the clubs already in the league to make the decision - in your scenario, eventually Celtic & Rangers (and apparently anyone else who asks nicely) will be admitted and will find their level  in the Leagues -in the case of Celtic & Rangers, that would potentially be fairly high - which will directly impacti on the chances of the existing teams to make it to the top and reduce the chances of current non-league teams to make it into the FL...and please tell me why should we accept the further dilution of the league by 'foreign' clubs just because they want a bigger piece of the cake?

As for the Welsh clubs, I'd be more than happy for Swansea & Cardiff to play in a purely Welsh League - unfortunately there isn't a Welsh equivalent of the Scottish Leagues, so kicking them out would kill them overnight. But in the case of Rangers & Celtic (or any other Scottish club), they are currently in a league that has enough recognition at UEFA level to give them admittance to the Champions League, but that appears to be not enough for them - and as I said before, if they want that league to be more competitive, they should find a way to spread their wealth around for the benefit of Scottish football as a whole - only they won't because they're too greedy. They'd rather walk away and let Scottish football die - that's a good enough reason to tell them to do one.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

So we should accept this because it's wrong to want things to stay as they are? - frankly, that is a ridiculous thing to say....

No not at all I was replying to and should have quoted the post, I was saying that we shouldn't dismiss it because the FL is long established now.

If this is a genuine proposal then it should be put to the fans of the clubs already in the league to make the decision

Fans should have their say of course but ultimately it comes down to the club owners, only they are aware of the true financial implications it may have on the clubs. If they all vote yes I see no reason for fans to veto it as long as the FL can be more sensitive when selecting midweek games and picking fixtures for TV. You can't go changing game dates with 3 weeks notice as Sky say so.

- in your scenario, eventually Celtic & Rangers (and apparently anyone else who asks nicely) will be admitted and will find their level  in the Leagues -in the case of Celtic & Rangers, that would potentially be fairly high - which will directly impacti on the chances of the existing teams to make it to the top and reduce the chances of current non-league teams to make it into the FL...and please tell me why should we accept the further dilution of the league by 'foreign' clubs just because they want a bigger piece of the cake?

I'm open to the idea of Rangers and Celtic joining the FL that's all I have said, would be the same if it was Hearts and Dundee, we're yet to see how the FL propose to create this new league and it may be totally unworkable. I would also be open to a British League, put an invite out to all Scottish and Welsh clubs, see how much interest there is and it could be possible to create a League 3 with just Scottish and Welsh clubs, logistics would be an issue but I'm not claiming to have all the answers. With the money being pumped into football now there is no reason it should dilute it, in fact it could make the FL stronger. 

Others have flat out refused it, forget it, not interested in the proposals, this league is long established now jog on. I think that's wrong, closing the door on the idea before hearing what they have planned.

and as I said before, if they want that league to be more competitive, they should find a way to spread their wealth around for the benefit of Scottish football as a whole - only they won't because they're too greedy. They'd rather walk away and let Scottish football die - that's a good enough reason to tell them to do one.....

You can ask the same of Barca, Real, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, all clubs are out for the best deal they can get for themselves, these super clubs being open to a Super League causing UEFA to let them have a say in how the competition is run.

Rangers and Celtic leaving 'could' benefit Scottish football and make it more competitive, almost like hitting the reset button on it. 

On 30/08/2016 at 16:13, CumbrianRam said:

SPL will become a semi-pro league if Rangers/Celtic leave, most of the TV money comes by a fact of them too being there.

Only likes of Hearts, Aberdeen may stay full time.

I don't think so. If the Conference is almost totally full-time then I am sure that the SPL will not have a problem in remaining full time - or the league below it.

On 9/1/2016 at 15:22, Gaspode said:

If this is a genuine proposal then it should be put to the fans of the clubs already in the league to make the decision -

In an ideal world, where clubs were predominantly owned and run by the fans, then yes absolutely.  I'd rather if clubs were run like that to be honest.  Fans could be genuine stakeholders in their clubs then, rather than merely an easy revenue stream that clubs can exploit.  FC United are run along these lines as well as most German clubs, so it's perfectly possible.  However the situation is quite different for most clubs, the owners get to call the shots.  And in Celtic and Rangers case, wanting to join the EPL is the logical step financially speaking, so their owners wouldn't be doing their job if they weren't proposing it.  The long term future of both those clubs would be better served in the English or British League. Can't really see why fans of English clubs would be against it really, it would only make the league even stronger and more interesting.  Everything changes over time, each new proposal should be viewed on it's own merits rather than being opposed merely because it alters the familiar. 

On 29 August 2016 at 10:07, ossieram said:

If they do join the EFL, do the they automatically get accepted into the FA premier league if they rose up through the divisions?

Swansea and Cardiff did. I know they've been in the league longer but if they are voted/elected to join then they are playing under the FA and can't see why they wouldn't?

Just now, davenportram said:

Swansea and Cardiff did. I know they've been in the league longer but if they are voted/elected to join then they are playing under the FA and can't see why they wouldn't?

Surely they are playing under the Football league apart from FA cup games or the Premier league?

7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Surely they are playing under the Football league apart from FA cup games or the Premier league?

Still the FA that sanctions competitions in England, all the way down to kids football.

It's a football league competition but they still need to answer to the FA. Player discipline etc is handled by the FA

Archived