Who is to blame - players or manager?

Sparkle

Let's blame......  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Massive clear out needed next season whoever the manager is

Needs doing now but too late.  This squad has been together far too long. Too many are in a comfort zone and changing their mentality  may not even be possible . ..  perhaps when they get sent to train with the kids the penny might drop?  I anticipate a very disgruntled dressing room between now and Xmas.

Why are people blaming everyone but Hughes for there goal? Go watch it back Hughes has 5 yards on him and is ball watching.

i saw it and the sky commentators saw it as they said it was Hughes who should pick up the runner.

stop blaming keogh and Christie for everything ffs

Anyone who doesn't think our players underperforming isn't almost entirely down the way they've been set up to play clearly doesn't know much about football.

Sorry, but all this talk about effort, desire and passion. Come on, it's absolute rubbish.

Players have bad games, they can struggle to get their passing going or simply drift in and out of games. But more times than not, playing players in their correct position and using a style which enhances their ability to reach their maximum potential will ultimately give you a better chance of winning football matches.

Anyone who doesn't believe NP's system and style of play is hindering our crop of players needs to get their heads out of the sand. Bunch of ostriches!

It really isn't difficult to see the reasons why we are currently struggling. It's so basic.

So we have two choices. Get rid of Pearson and bring in a manager willing to play the style of football we know enhances our players' ability (Wassall certainly did to an extent), or get rid of 2/3 of this squad who are incapable of performing to the required standard under NP's way of playing.

Were we sold a false promise by Nigel's appointment? Watching Leicester when they pulled off the miracle survival, they were energetic, pressed high and fast, played great balls into the channels, created chances for fun. What do we have? Either Pearson has drastically changed his footballing ideology, or we just don't have the quality to play like that. 

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Pearson's favourite players are Bryson and Weimann(before he got injured based on pre season). What do they have in common? Both give 100% every game. Pearson wants a team of players like this

I would say all players give 100% every game, it is just they have the stamina and the ability to run more than the other players.

I love it how because a player doesn't run around as much means that they don't care as much or have as much passion or fight or don't give 100%. It is total rubbish.

For my team I am one of the oldest and one of the most out of shape players and don't run around as most of the others, doesn't mean that I haven't given 100% and it is the same with our players. It is like saying that guy hasn't run as fast as him so isn't trying hard enough to win gold or she hasn't thrown the javelin further than her so she doesn't care and isn't putting in 100%. Just nonsense.

Not all aimed at you @McLovin just fed up of reading the same nonsense over and over again.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Anyone who doesn't think our players underperforming isn't almost entirely down the way they've been set up to play clearly doesn't know much about football.

Sorry, but all this talk about effort, desire and passion. Come on, it's absolute rubbish.

Players have bad games, they can struggle to get their passing going or simply drift in and out of games. But more times than not, playing players in their correct position and using a style which enhances their ability to reach their maximum potential will ultimately give you a better chance of winning football matches.

Anyone who doesn't believe NP's system and style of play is hindering our crop of players needs to get their heads out of the sand. Bunch of ostriches!

It really isn't difficult to see the reasons why we are currently struggling. It's so basic.

So we have two choices. Get rid of Pearson and bring in a manager willing to play the style of football we know enhances our players' ability (Wassall certainly did to an extent), or get rid of 2/3 of this squad who are incapable of performing to the required standard under NP's way of playing.

Oh come on. Can you say that every single player put in 100% tonight? Really? Bryson was the only one who did. It's lathargic at times. 

I rarely post but some comments tonight have led me to stick my oar. For what it's worth I firmly believe the core of this squad needs to be broken up. We have bought players who have been top performers at their previous clubs (Butterfield, Blackman, Johnson and to a degree Olsson and Shackell were all regarded as good players at their previous clubs) but who haven't settled or "fit in" here. Is that Wassell, Clement and Pearson's fault? We need to stop thinking the world revolves around Martin, Russell, Bryson, Keogh etc and bring some new characters into the team. This team has failed for 3 years, it's all well and good showing highlights of the Hull away match but don't forget these were the same players who lost 0-3 at home the week before. I firmly believe Nigel Pearson and his team can work out which players can be a success and which ones need to sling their hook but this needs time, you don't work into a new job and become an expert over night! Patience and support is what is needed now!

12 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Why are people blaming everyone but Hughes for there goal? Go watch it back Hughes has 5 yards on him and is ball watching.

i saw it and the sky commentators saw it as they said it was Hughes who should pick up the runner.

stop blaming keogh and Christie for everything ffs

Both Hughes and Ince to blame but mostly Ince. Hughes was the wrong side, but Ince watched the player make the move into the box, he should have either gone with him or shouted Hughes to pass him on.

It seemed like running or shouting was too much effort for him!

The fault is the recruitment team of last season. We've spent all we can under FFP, assembled a team of expensive misfits and ended up in a position where a talented manager can't bring in the key players he needs to make his system work. It's also coincided with the rules changing to hand a stupendous advantage to clubs with parachute payments, which has just created ridiculous transfer fee inflation.

We're going to have to be patient. It'll take three windows at least to sort.

3 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Oh come on. Can you say that every single player put in 100% tonight? Really? Bryson was the only one who did. It's lathargic at times. 

What has effort got to do with playing style? I really don't understand where you're coming from. Do you think our players are underperforming because they are not tackling hard enough? Or chasing the ball more?

What exactly do you expect to see with more effort? The freeflowing football and plenty of goal scoring chances won't come as a result of 'increased effort and desire', it will come from an increase in abilit both on and off the ball.

It's obvious we're instructed to sit deep and play direct balls up top. Bryson and Hughes didn't just find themselves on the edge of our box for 90 minutes due to a lack of effort. 

Martin didn't find himself on left wing due to a lack of desire to fight for the ball.

It's a poor system, style of football and general negativity which has led to our poor performances. 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

What has effort got to do with playing style? I really don't understand where you're coming from. Do you think our players are underperforming because they are not tackling hard enough? Or chasing the ball more?

What exactly do you expect to see with more effort? The freeflowing football and plenty of goal scoring chances won't come as a result of 'increased effort and desire', it will come from an increase in abilit both on and off the ball.

It's obvious we're instructed to sit deep and play direct balls up top. Bryson and Hughes didn't just find themselves on the edge of our box for 90 minutes due to a lack of effort. 

Martin didn't find himself on left wing due to a lack of desire to fight for the ball.

It's a poor system, style of football and general negativity which has led to our poor performances. 

What has effort got to do with playing style? Quite a ******* bit... 

Do I think it's the main reason? No. Do I think it's a big part. Yes. 

It's always going to take time to adapt to a new system. It's a more demanding set up. On paper, did that Burnley squad have the quality to win the championship? No chance. But they ran their socks off for Dyche. Boro the same in some respects. 

If they players have become so comfortable in their McClaren esq 433 that they can't play another style, they can go. Because they're not proper footballers.

Got the distinct impression from Pearson's post match interview that he's now woken up to the fact that for all the so called quality he thought was within the squad he inherited, he now knows a clear out might be the only answer. But with the transfer window closing in just five days time, he was clearly concerned at it all being a bit too late for the changes needed.

It could well be a very long season ahead of us, but one things for sure we can't get much worse. The players all seemed to have zero confindence tonight, are they a little frighten of Pearson perhaps, who knows.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Mel Morris should be in the discussion too. We were in far better shape before he arrived.

You need to take a trip down to the training ground and do the tour before saying that. 

He's backed the recruitment team and managers with funds. It's not his fault that it hasn't been used wisely. 

1 minute ago, TETRA said:

Got the distinct impression from Pearson's post match interview that he's now woken up to the fact that for all the so called quality he thought was within the squad he inherited, he now knows a clear out might be the only answer. But with the transfer window closing in just five days time, he was clearly concerned at it all being a bit too late for the changes needed.

It could well be a very long season ahead of us, but one things for sure we can't get much worse. The players all seemed to have zero confindence tonight, are they a little frighten of Pearson perhaps, who knows.

Didn't we just get get beat by a team with no quality - but who had other qualities?

Agree - the players do'nt seem to be up for NP's ideas,

(not getting into an argument with you or your post - just trying to work out NP...)

1 minute ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

What has effort got to do with playing style? Quite a ******* bit... 

Do I think it's the main reason? No. Do I think it's a big part. Yes. 

It's always going to take time to adapt to a new system. It's a more demanding set up. On paper, did that Burnley squad have the quality to win the championship? No chance. But they ran their socks off for Dyche. Boro the same in some respects. 

If they players have become so comfortable in their McClaren esq 433 that they can't play another style, they can go. Because they're not proper footballers.

Not proper footballers because they're hindered due to system and style? Did you see where Hughes was playing tonight? Why would you play him there? Why not playing at LB? It would have been just as pointless...

The Burnley squad that won the Championship had been playing 442 under Dyche for the past few years. They all knew their roles, and Dyche bought in players who could fit his system.

It was really that simple... I bet if Burnley tried to play a possession-based 433 they'd struggle, big time. They play what they're good at. Derby under NP haven't played what we're good at.

Likewise Boro. Played the 4231 system for a few years and have the right players to do so.

It's not about becoming comfortable in their McClaren esq 433. it's about playing players in their correct position and using a style of play whi9ch enhances their game.

We are nt doing that. Not in the slightest. No matter how much effort or desire we put in, we will continue to look disjointed and lacking in creativity because half our team is out of position.

I can't believe how much people are defending NP here. He should have knoown about our shortcomings and should have been ruthless from the beginning in terms of moving players on and getting players in who fits his style of play.

We've wasted an entire pre-season working on something doomed to fail. Now it's panic stations.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Mel Morris should be in the discussion too. We were in far better shape before he arrived.

It won't surprise to you to know that I don't agree Bris, but I can see why some folk would. He's made mistakes I grant you that, but clearing the loans, re-vamping the infrastructure, training facilities and so on...  I think it's fair to say there's been progress off the pitch though it's not been reflected on matchdays as yet, it's true.

Archived