Andre Wisdom - Signed for Red Bull Salzburg

Day

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23 August 2016 at 14:00, Penelope Pendrex said:

That was his only assist. "Frightening". Christie is far better in attack.

I was a big fan of Wisdom but he was a defender through and through. That season Forsyth was in great form and one of our most important players. Wisdom's discipline allowed him to attack more or less at will as an extra midfielder.

There's no point having Wisdom at right back unless we have a left back of Forsyth 2013/14 quality.

But how many assists does Christie have, (I don't know the answer) or how often have his runs been critical in the build up to a goal?

as I say I like Christie but I think he could be a lot sharper defensively and feel a lot of his forward play is running into blind allies without any end product 

I'd love wisdom back but why all the hate on Christie since we've been linked with andre, he was probably our best player and most consistent player last season 

16 minutes ago, TopRam said:

I'd love wisdom back but why all the hate on Christie since we've been linked with andre, he was probably our best player and most consistent player last season 

Sorry- couldn't resist the pun. 

Christie isn't a bad player. He is potentially a good player but his thought process gets scrambled. When he loses confidence he can be a liability, getting out of position and giving away needless fouls.

Like all of our wide players he needs coaching on looking up before he crosses and thinking about where to play the ball. 

It drives me nuts when crosses hit a first defender or even worse sail over everyone's heads.

And for the record, I'm not sure Wisdom is any better on that score.

Some stats to ruminate over off whoscored.com.

@Anag Ram comments regarding poor crosses. Have to question Andre's ability perhaps?

Cyrus:

+ Strengths

Dribbling:Very Strong

Key passes:Strong

Tackling:Strong

- Weaknesses

(Player has no significant weaknesses)

Cyrus Christie's Style of Play

Likes to dribble

Likes to cross

Likes to play short passes

Commits fouls often

Andre:

+ Strengths

Holding on to the ball:Strong

Concentration:Strong

- Weaknesses

Crossing:Weak

Tackling:Weak

Andre Wisdom's Style of Play

Likes to play short passes

Does not dive into tackles

Christie and Wisdom are pretty much opposites as fullbacks. Christie is better going forward, Wisdom is a better defender (although Christie has improved).

For a team that is having little trouble defending but is struggling to score goals I can't see why we'd drop Christie for Wisdom.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Christie and Wisdom are pretty much opposites as fullbacks. Christie is better going forward, Wisdom is a better defender (although Christie has improved).

For a team that is having little trouble defending but is struggling to score goals I can't see why we'd drop Christie for Wisdom.

Because we would score more goals if our wingers were left to attack rather than having to drop back to cover a defender that either loses the ball or can't pick out a player with a cross.

Just now, Penelope Pendrex said:

That's not really how it works though, is it? We didn't leave Wisdom all alone when he played for us, Ward (or Russell) would come back and help. Just like every other winger in the country. 

There is a difference in coming back to help when the opposition are attacking and dropping back when we are attacking because you know that the attacking defender will do nothing with the ball and you need to be ready for when he loses it.

He did but Ince is a better player than both of them in my opinion. The main thing for me is that Christie only has a short time left on his contract (unless I am mistaken?). The club should have a decent idea by now on what his thoughts on extending it are, if they are getting mixed messages then we should look to sign another option.

Not sure I agree that Christie is better at attacking than Wisdom. Yes, he gets up and down the field well and that but I don't agree that he's particularly good at beating a man or crossing it in if I'm honest. I remember more of Wisdom beating a man and putting a decent cross in than Christie and I've seen Christie play a lot more than Wisdom. 

Archived