Richard Keogh - new 3 year deal

Cam the Ram

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I thought that like myself, most come on, see that thread title about Keogh making mistakes has recent posts and choose to ignore it because it's just full of the same usual suspects seeking attention. With this thread title they can see the good news. :thumbsup:

With you there. Definitely deserves its own thread for such good news. @SaintRamshould have left well alone - I'd like the other thread to drop away into the obscurity it deserves and not be continually bumped up here.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

With you there. Definitely deserves its own thread for such good news. @SaintRamshould have left well alone - I'd like the other thread to drop away into the obscurity it deserves and not be continually bumped up here.

Keogh is the lightning rod of ignorant abuse. Without the presence of a thread to act as a septic tank, more and more threads will be created on a number of other players / staff who may not be as easy to defend as Keogh, and make it easy to tell the sensible people from the nutjobs. 

Personally, I think finishing the 30th page of a thread (amazing how much people like to spew the brown stuff) about how supposedly **** he is with a post of us giving him, our captain, a new 3 year deal on his 30th birthday is rather apt.

Wouldn't describe myself as a hater, but I am a doubter.

I see this as something that will hold Derby back, in the same way Savage held Derby back by extending his contract.

Keogh has everything physically to be awesome, he even has the attitude. Sadly, he doesn't in my opinion have the composure nor intelligence to make the right decision at the right time.

I know many think opposite, but my opinion is that he's a 'nearly' player and this new deal means Derby will remain a 'nearly' team.

Anyone who thinks this is a great thing for Derby should keep their mouth shut at the end of the season when we have had another collapse and bottled promotion. You cannot moan.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

Wouldn't describe myself as a hater, but I am a doubter.

I see this as something that will hold Derby back, in the same way Savage held Derby back by extending his contract.

Keogh has everything physically to be awesome, he even has the attitude. Sadly, he doesn't in my opinion have the composure nor intelligence to make the right decision at the right time.

I know many think opposite, but my opinion is that he's a 'nearly' player and this new deal means Derby will remain a 'nearly' team.

Anyone who thinks this is a great thing for Derby should keep their mouth shut at the end of the season when we have had another collapse and bottled promotion. You cannot moan.

That's a bit weird of a stance to be honest.

Even if that happens, it isn't going to be Keogh's fault solely and if it isn't his fault then surely we have something to moan about? 

I mean... I guess I don't really know where you're coming from with that. Genuinely confused. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That's a bit weird of a stance to be honest.

Even if that happens, it isn't going to be Keogh's fault solely and if it isn't his fault then surely we have something to moan about? 

I mean... I guess I don't really know where you're coming from with that. Genuinely confused. 

basically people want change without change. You cannot make changes without changing things. When it comes to the end of the season, and we've bottled it, it will be the exact same things that cost us the important points.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

basically people want change without change. You cannot make changes without changing things. When it comes to the end of the season, and we've bottled it, it will be the exact same things that cost us the important points.

I want change, but there are multiple routes for change.

I don't see how not getting rid of Keogh is some great obstacle of team improvement. Giving him a new deal does not prevent us from strengthening in his position and then if he or Shackell lose their place to someone else then so be it. Getting rid or letting his contract run out is of no benefit to us in the short or long term. 

If we end up acquiring a CB better than Keogh and Shackell then our mean quality of CBs is far higher with Keogh in the squad than without him.

But still, I understand this angle, that just giving players new contracts without signing anyone won't do anything for us (probably). That's not that confusing. Just the "people who are happy about this shouldn't be allowed to moan if we fail to get promoted" vexed me, that's all. 

I'm comfortable with any of our players leaving (yes, even Hughes)... except maybe Carson cos I don't see how we'd replace him immediately with someone competent but even then that's not impossible, if it's the right deal.

Just now, Grantona said:

Jeez, £40k a  week for a slightly above average championship defender - the football world is going mad.:( 

40k a week? Whos farts whispered that info in your ear?

Richard Keogh says he is as determined as ever to lead Derby County into the Premier League after putting pen to paper on a fresh three-year contract.

The Republic of Ireland international, who also turns 30 today, had one year remaining on his current deal, but will now remain with the club until 2019.

It adds to what has already been a great couple of months for the centre back, who also became a dad for the first time, featured for his country at the recent UEFA European Championships in France, was selected by Nigel Pearson as his captain for the 2016/17 season and scored Derby’s first goal of the new campaign on Tuesday night in the EFL Cup win over Grimsby Town.

Speaking on his new contract, Keogh revealed his desire to remain at a club that he has been with since signing from Coventry City in the summer of 2012.

The defender says he feels ‘at home’ with at Derby and says signing a deal to remain with the Rams means a lot to him.

Keogh told Rams Player HD: “It’s been a great week and it’s great just to top it off with a new contract.

“I wanted to get it sorted and I’m glad that is the case. I feel settled here, I have felt part of the club from the moment I walked through the door and I am buzzing that I can be part of this club moving forward. I feel at home here and this means a lot to me.

“It was a big decision for me, especially with me coming into the last year of my contract.

“The club were keen to get me to sign and I was as equally keen to sign. After the Euros were done and dusted, that was my main focus and I’m pleased that we have got there. This is where I want to be.”

Following on from signing his new deal, Keogh says he still harbours the same feelings as he did from when he first joined Derby just over four years ago.

He firmly believes that the club is still in a great place, on and off the pitch, to return to the top flight and is determined to be the man to guide it there.

Keogh added: “As a professional you want to work in a great environment and we’re very lucky that we work in a state-of-the-art facility to train and improve as players here at Derby.

“The chairman (Mel Morris) deserves a lot of credit; he’s added a lot here. This is a big pull here for players to come to this club. It really is a no-brainer. 

“Since the first day I walked through the door, I have always felt the same. I had a few options before I came to Derby, but once I looked around the city, the training ground and the stadium I knew that everything felt right.

“I knew what the potential of the club could be. I want to get this club in the Premier League and I am as determined as ever to do that.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/keogh-determined-to-lead-derby-to-success-following-new-deal-3241329.aspx#w1zdhWxsuEgc7YGP.99

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Positive for me.

Top championship defender at worst, will outperform more often than not in this league, good skipper as recognised by 3 Managers and cannot go wrong if we have used this to get a decent fee in the future. He will always have the likes of Dyche fancy his services.

As posted on transfer thread

His wages and the length of the contract are down to a commercial agreement between him and DCFC.

As a fan I am glad he's staying because he is at least as good as most and better than many at this level and .... more importantly runs his guts out every game. 

8 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Richard Keogh says he is as determined as ever to lead Derby County into the Premier League after putting pen to paper on a fresh three-year contract.

The Republic of Ireland international, who also turns 30 today, had one year remaining on his current deal, but will now remain with the club until 2019.

It adds to what has already been a great couple of months for the centre back, who also became a dad for the first time, featured for his country at the recent UEFA European Championships in France, was selected by Nigel Pearson as his captain for the 2016/17 season and scored Derby’s first goal of the new campaign on Tuesday night in the EFL Cup win over Grimsby Town.

Speaking on his new contract, Keogh revealed his desire to remain at a club that he has been with since signing from Coventry City in the summer of 2012.

The defender says he feels ‘at home’ with at Derby and says signing a deal to remain with the Rams means a lot to him.

Keogh told Rams Player HD: “It’s been a great week and it’s great just to top it off with a new contract.

“I wanted to get it sorted and I’m glad that is the case. I feel settled here, I have felt part of the club from the moment I walked through the door and I am buzzing that I can be part of this club moving forward. I feel at home here and this means a lot to me.

“It was a big decision for me, especially with me coming into the last year of my contract.

“The club were keen to get me to sign and I was as equally keen to sign. After the Euros were done and dusted, that was my main focus and I’m pleased that we have got there. This is where I want to be.”

Following on from signing his new deal, Keogh says he still harbours the same feelings as he did from when he first joined Derby just over four years ago.

He firmly believes that the club is still in a great place, on and off the pitch, to return to the top flight and is determined to be the man to guide it there.

Keogh added: “As a professional you want to work in a great environment and we’re very lucky that we work in a state-of-the-art facility to train and improve as players here at Derby.

“The chairman (Mel Morris) deserves a lot of credit; he’s added a lot here. This is a big pull here for players to come to this club. It really is a no-brainer. 

“Since the first day I walked through the door, I have always felt the same. I had a few options before I came to Derby, but once I looked around the city, the training ground and the stadium I knew that everything felt right.

“I knew what the potential of the club could be. I want to get this club in the Premier League and I am as determined as ever to do that.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/keogh-determined-to-lead-derby-to-success-following-new-deal-3241329.aspx#w1zdhWxsuEgc7YGP.99

I don't for one minute believe this is an accurate quote.

I don't see one "as I say" in there.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If we do 'bottle it' as you call it, it doesn't necessarily mean the defence or specific defenders will have been responsible. Imagine we get down to the last 2 or 3 games of the season and we need to win but Martin / Ince / Russell / Airman miss a couple of sitters and we only draw and fail to get a top 6 place or win the playoff. Will that also be Keoghs' fault in your eyes? Even if we had the best defensive record in the Championship?

Archived