Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

2 minutes ago, YouRams said:

What is it with players abilities draining as soon as an armband is put on them? Not a fan of Henderson but he's been in good form before tonight, puts the armband on, plays like a hungover Sunday league player.

It's easy to play well alongside better players such as Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Wijnaldum, Can who all happen to be foreign. 

There isn't a single team in the Premier League where there is an English player in the top four or five players in their squad, barring say Hull City or Burnley.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TimRam said:

The England team has been ruined by the workings of the Premiership. It's now a corporate global brand and a money machine.

I think you've got a point there Tim. The worse thing for me though is, nobody at The FA noticed what happened to Scotland when Rangers and Celtic were spending big dough on players from everywhere to the detriment of the national team.

When we were winning titles and Liverpool were dominating, Scottish players were pretty much sought after, how many are at the top end of the game now ?

The FA have took their eye off the national team ball as it were because they are too busy milking the Premier League cash cow and the national side is only going to get poorer for it. We're capping players now that wouldn't have got near the team not so long ago in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's easy to play well alongside better players such as Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Wijnaldum, Can who all happen to be foreign. 

There isn't a single team in the Premier League where there is an English player in the top four or five players in their squad, barring say Hull City or Burnley.

Tottenham have and Leicester

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

England haven't remotely looked like a decent side since the Sven years. Our best chance ever winning a competition came when we lost to Portugal both times on penalties.

There weren't any real standout teams in 2004 and 2006.

Have to disagree with that. In both euro 2004 and the world cup France still had the likes of Zidane,Henry,Viera,Makalele,Thuram, Trezeguet in their team. England had a top team, but so did many other sides. I think the overall standard of football in terms of genuine world class players has decreased dramatically. After Messi and Ronaldo who have you got? Suarez, Neymar? That's probably it in terms of actual players who would have stood out in the late 90s, early 00s period. I still think that Brazil should have easily won that 2006 world cup with the team they had, they were just unfortunate that Zidane was absolutely unplayable that day when they played France.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Have to disagree with that. In both euro 2004 and the world cup France still had the likes of Zidane,Henry,Viera,Makalele,Thuram, Trezeguet in their team. England had a top team, but so did many other sides. I think the overall standard of football in terms of genuine world class players has decreased dramatically. After Messi and Ronaldo who have you got? Suarez, Neymar? That's probably it in terms of actual players who would have stood out in the late 90s, early 00s period. I still think that Brazil should have easily won that 2006 world cup with the team they had, they were just unfortunate that Zidane was absolutely unplayable that day when they played France.

France weren't great shakes at 2004, still nursing from their poor 2002 world cup and were knocked out of the Euros by Greece. I maintain that had we beaten Portugal in 2004 on penalties, a poor Holland side and Greece stood in our way of winning it.

I actually thought Czech Republic were the best team at those Euros, goes to show that it wasn't a particularly great tournament. Germany, Spain and italy didn't even advance from the groups.

The World Cup 2006 was the worst in my lifetime in terms of quality, followed closely by 2010.

7 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well the defence is no better. good job hart has found some form

Playing 2 dm''s whose idea of protecting the back 4 was to play blind passes into space for the opposition attackers not that helpful either.

Southgate speaks quite well I think. And made the call to drop rooney to bring pace into the team. Didn't really work as he played brain dead speed merchants like sturridge and Walcott. Lingaard didn't do much either so I don't think our front 3 made a good decision between them all game.

Astonishing the commentary team stated Slovenia seeded below Scotland in this tournament. 

Not much sign yet of England finding a settled style and system post hodgson. 

Archived