Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys Prepare For A Smiting

ramit

Gutted to see the Icelanders beaten.

Been the story of the tournament and good luck to them and their awesome fans in the future.

Did you know the monks at St David's in Pembrokeshire built their Abby hidden inland just because they were terrified of Vikings? So I bet Wales were glad Iceland are not final contenders.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ramit said:

i think losing to Iceland will end up being a good thing for England, will cut out the complacency surely and focus folks on improving the side

Haha, good one!

This was said after England failed to even qualify for Euro 2008. By the time World Cup 2010 came around, the media and supporters were giving it the big one under Capello saying we could win it.

Then after finishing bottom of our group at the World Cup 2014, and watching Costa Rica top it, we didn't learn and again came into Euro 2016 with both media and supporters building up our 'fantastic young team'.

It will be exactly the same come World Cup 2018. Rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Gutted to see the Icelanders beaten.

Been the story of the tournament and good luck to them and their awesome fans in the future.

Did you know the monks at St David's in Pembrokeshire built their Abby hidden inland just because they were terrified of Vikings? So I bet Wales were glad Iceland are not final contenders.

Cheers mate

Well, my lad was gutted.  He was really upset to see "the chicken team" put four past Iceland.  He went to bed at half time.

He's decided he wants to play for Iceland, although hugely disappointed in his English heritage (they're rubbish!).

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Haha, good one!

This was said after England failed to even qualify for Euro 2008. By the time World Cup 2010 came around, the media and supporters were giving it the big one under Capello saying we could win it.

Then after finishing bottom of our group at the World Cup 2014, and watching Costa Rica top it, we didn't learn and again came into Euro 2016 with both media and supporters building up our 'fantastic young team'.

It will be exactly the same come World Cup 2018. Rinse and repeat.

So basically you're writing off England's hopes of ever learning from mistakes made, a grim outlook if i may say so.  If an Icelander wrote something like this he or she would get shouted down by the vast majority, but i guess that's the difference between being an established footballing nation with feelings of entitlement and small time players who dare to dream big.

Was trying to be upbeat, but you're having none of it.  There is disappointment in one's country's failures in major competition and then there's downright cynicism.  Try supporting your nation instead of disrespecting it and all other nations competing, many of whom will never achieve any success in major tournaments but will pick themselves up after repeated failures to optimistically try again.  What an outrageous post.

38 minutes ago, ramit said:

So basically you're writing off England's hopes of ever learning from mistakes made, a grim outlook if i may say so.  If an Icelander wrote something like this he or she would get shouted down by the vast majority, but i guess that's the difference between being an established footballing nation with feelings of entitlement and small time players who dare to dream big.

Was trying to be upbeat, but you're having none of it.  There is disappointment in one's country's failures in major competition and then there's downright cynicism.  Try supporting your nation instead of disrespecting it and all other nations competing, many of whom will never achieve any success in major tournaments but will pick themselves up after repeated failures to optimistically try again.  What an outrageous post.

Ask him how Mexico did in the cup.

Kudos to France, they were by far the better side in this match, it was done and dusted at halftime but showing their usual character the Icelandic players improved the result a bit by scoring two goals in the second half against France's one.  i was taking the p*** both with my thread title and boastful opening post, but that's how it goes, football success is a powerful hallucinogen.

Am keeping the flag flying on our balcony and looking outside i can see my neighbors are doing the same.  When our players return home later today we want them to see wherever they wander how proud we are of them.  Been a great tournament for us, memories we shall always treasure.

4 hours ago, maydrakin said:

Well, my lad was gutted.  He was really upset to see "the chicken team" put four past Iceland.  He went to bed at half time.

He's decided he wants to play for Iceland, although hugely disappointed in his English heritage (they're rubbish!).

Well, that's football, sorry the lad took it badly.  Decided he wants to play for Iceland awww, so cute :)

8 hours ago, maydrakin said:

4 hours ago, ramit said:

Well, that's football, sorry the lad took it badly.  Decided he wants to play for Iceland awww, so cute :)

You could rename him Ragnar and have a gene test for Viking ancestry ?

9 hours ago, ramit said:

Why is it outrageous? It's outrageous to suggest England are going to perform any better than they have done for the past 50 years when they can't even make the simplest of steps towards improving matters.

English football (I mean the national team, grassroots football, coaching, mentality etc) on the whole is dire and their so-called solution to the problem is the building of St. George's Park...

I do support my nation. I'm just not deluded. I go into every tournament with realistic prospects. I even said before the group stages we'd probably scrape through with five points. 

But did I boo them? No, I didn't. Because I don't have unrealistic expectations of them. I'd say I'm in this regard one of the better supporters. I support them, and when they lose I just accept it.

Disrespecting my nation? What do you want me to say? That England will win Russia 2018? We won't. Quarter-finals are the best we can hope for. Maybe people should be more realistic and support the team.

The only ones being disrespectful are those (and there were many) who think England will just turn up and thrash teams like Iceland. Many were predicting 3-0, 4-0 routs pundits included.

Until England get rid of the mentality they've been carrying, especially during my lifetime, they'll never succeed. That's not outrageous, that's completely realistic.

As for your last point... Iceland reaching the quarter-finals. Hungary the knockout stages, Poland the quarter-finals. These aren't failures, these are big successes. Where have I knocked any of them? I'm glad they've done well.

The problem with English football is that you can't buy class.

We have the most "monitised" league in the world - and it's not a bad league - exciting, fast, within reason unpredictable, good atmosphere, popular to bet on, but the players a brought in, the managers are brought in, and the solution to everything is more money.

The improvement in the standard of the English top flight, and second tire to an extent is all brought but it's done nothing to improve the health of the sport overall in England.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Why is it outrageous? It's outrageous to suggest England are going to perform any better than they have done for the past 50 years when they can't even make the simplest of steps towards improving matters.

English football (I mean the national team, grassroots football, coaching, mentality etc) on the whole is dire and their so-called solution to the problem is the building of St. George's Park...

I do support my nation. I'm just not deluded. I go into every tournament with realistic prospects. I even said before the group stages we'd probably scrape through with five points. 

But did I boo them? No, I didn't. Because I don't have unrealistic expectations of them. I'd say I'm in this regard one of the better supporters. I support them, and when they lose I just accept it.

Disrespecting my nation? What do you want me to say? That England will win Russia 2018? We won't. Quarter-finals are the best we can hope for. Maybe people should be more realistic and support the team.

The only ones being disrespectful are those (and there were many) who think England will just turn up and thrash teams like Iceland. Many were predicting 3-0, 4-0 routs pundits included.

Until England get rid of the mentality they've been carrying, especially during my lifetime, they'll never succeed. That's not outrageous, that's completely realistic.

As for your last point... Iceland reaching the quarter-finals. Hungary the knockout stages, Poland the quarter-finals. These aren't failures, these are big successes. Where have I knocked any of them? I'm glad they've done well.

i don't know, i was in a low mood at 5am and guess i decided to pick on you.  Seen so many negative posts about England and that played a part i suppose.  Seems to me that the fans can have a lot to say about how football progresses from here on, if they unite in calling for improvements all the way down to grass root level they will be listened to, points such as raising the standard of coaching, doing as we did and requiring all coaches down to the youngest players having a UEFA B license at the least, improving infrastructure, allowing communities more say on local development matters instead of property developers.  Apologies for my rant in any case, i do wish England well and thing positive thinking would help, thinking in solutions instead of problems.  Have a good one.

Hodgson was allegedly the highest paid Coach on £3.5 million a year. It true then what a load of .....

Iceland Coach was given a year's supply of Glacier Mints.

Best thing that happened in this tournament was England losing to Iceland. Any normal country would overhaul everything now it will not happen here. Same old, same old...

Be very interesting now to see where Iceland next UEFA rating is. Should have jumped many places up the table. 

This will help establish them further as they get a higher seeding in wc qualifying so giving them a better chance of reachinga wc finals for the first time. 

Richly deserved if they can pull it off. Tremendous stuff.

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Be very interesting now to see where Iceland next UEFA rating is. Should have jumped many places up the table. 

This will help establish them further as they get a higher seeding in wc qualifying so giving them a better chance of reachinga wc finals for the first time. 

The groups have already been drawn for the 2018 WC qualifying. Iceland have Croatia, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland and Kosovo. They need to finish at least second so have a good chance still.

6 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Some math heads computed that after the England game we were in 20th place, jumping up 14 places, but after the France trouncing it would have gone down a bit i guess, so 24th maybe.  It will be interesting to see.  The prime minister has now promised that we will make it into the WC finals so i'm not so confident anymore but we shall see :whistle:

9 hours ago, ramit said:

Some math heads computed that after the England game we were in 20th place, jumping up 14 places, but after the France trouncing it would have gone down a bit i guess, so 24th maybe.  It will be interesting to see.  The prime minister has now promised that we will make it into the WC finals so i'm not so confident anymore but we shall see :whistle:

Now that's what I call an election manifesto! 

Archived