Strikers?

cheron85

To defend @Tombo on one point, I think shackell is probably just at Derby for his wage, not for anything else. As long as he earns it that is fine.

But it is more enjoyable to watch players who want to be here though like Bucko, keogh, bryson, etc. You need them to give you a connection to the team.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

To defend @Tombo on one point, I think shackell is probably just at Derby for his wage, not for anything else. As long as he earns it that is fine.

But it is more enjoyable to watch players who want to be here though like Bucko, keogh, bryson, etc. You need them to give you a connection to the team.

And it directly relates to the 1884 group efforts too. It's more enjoyable to watch those players enjoying themselves, and excitement is infectious. If the players want to be here, the fans are more likely to be supporters and not just spectators.

I understand why people put the club's success above all else, but if it's not fun, what's it all for? Why are these millionaires kicking a bag of wind on a bit of grass? And why am I paying out a small fortune to watch it happen? It's got to be exciting to watch, and the players have got to be excited too.

8 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

If we are going to play 4 4 2 anyway why not use bent  rather than bring someone else in who could turn out to be another Sammon/Blackman

Lets hope  Nigel Pearson gets it right .

It's one of the toughest jobs in Football being manager at Derby IMO .

Up the Rams. 

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

How do you know that BJ doesn't like football? Just curious and not looking to argue

Was gonna ask the same. We're all individuals with our own personality. Tommy Johnson always had a few chuckles with the crowd. That endeared him to the fans even on his 'off' days. Andy Murray gets slagged something rotten as he can sound bland and disinterested in interviews yet if you read something about the man he is self deprecating and genuinely funny. :D

Can't believe the Bradley Johnson does nt like foot ball comments ? ,I've not seen anything to make me think that yet you seem OK with Chris Martin and at times he looks like he would rather be doing the weekly shop with the wife ,, yes there are some notable cases of players who really only motivated by the money but they are very few and far between and stand out like a sore thumb , now if you said players don't enjoy football when their not playing well then I could go with that and accept that tag on Bradley j or Chris Martin or quite a lot of our squad ,, the fundamental difference I see in players at times is how they respond to not playing well ,some react well by getting more determined and trying to drag a performance out by work rate and other can let their head drop , it's in their make up , good managers can often get in their heads and turn them around making them better players , that's the whole point , I've played golf to a handicap of between 6 and 7 for twenty five years and play with a lot of mates who are every bit as good a player as me or better but never get anywhere near single figure handicaps and can tell you the one vital thing is can you get the ball round when your playing crap? Also footballers have a short career span and have to balance making their money ,can't see why that's a problem , we all got to maximise our earning potential ,I'm sure both shackell and Bradley balanced the doe along with believing Derby could and would get promoted? 

Now Derby are a biggish club and very few biggish clubs progress without spending doe ,, where's the problem with a Mel coming in and wanting to bring in some good players to supplement all he is doing in setting us up to be a club capable of producing young players ? Now if Derby ended up playing in the conference against nuneatons week in week out I would still be a Derby fan but for gods sake I certainly don't want that , I want Mel to grow the club not reduce it to conference proportions just so I can say we never buy any big players they all come from youth programmes or lower league football,, it's a balance 

i suspect anybody saying they would nt mind if we were conference playing nuneatons as long as they enjoyed it is kidding themselves or they would have drifted away to watching that level of football already as some fans have over the last few years ,,,,, me I'm happy to have Mel trying to buy some players and produce some ourselves ,, why do we have the best of acadamies around ,,,,? So we can snap up the best of youngsters around ,now is nt that the same as buying the best of first team players we can afford at our level? And anybody thinking that conference level don't have clubs when invest more than those around them to progress is kidding themselves too

As a footnote,, it's professional sport and anybody wanting that non achievable dream needs to watch Sunday morning pub football because that's the only place that utopian ideal is ,,, even at semi-pro level clubs are knicking the better players by offering better doe and facilities and they take it in the main cause that's how life is

10 hours ago, Tombo said:

It's not my job to be ambitious, it's my job to enjoy the football on display and get my season ticket money's worth.

I wouldn't care if we were playing in the Conference North, as long as I enjoy every other Saturday at the game it makes no odds to me. It's harder to enjoy when you've got people like Bradley Johnson pretending to be interested in football. I'm certain he actually hates the game. Not all of us enjoy our jobs I suppose. Wouldn't have someone with that attitude to the job in your workplace though would you?

If we are changing formation then I'd sell Martin. He fits the 4-3-3 perfectly but in a 4-4-2 or any other new formation I believe he would struggle as he does with Scotland where he is dreadful. He may be effective in a new formation but it wont get the best out of him like 4-3-3 does. I'm not a fan of playing players in positions that wont get the best out of them. I'd rather cash in and buy players to suit that particular position. Im just speculating that there will be a formation change of course. As for saying that Johnson doesn't like football, what a ridiculous statement, you wouldn't make it as a pro if you didnt have the hunger or motivation. If anyone looks like he doesn't like football it is Martin when he is stroppy.

7 hours ago, England Ram said:

I remember being told by his brother that Marcus Tudgay hated football, he just did it as it was what he was good at. 

there are a few examples, David Batty famously didn't have Sky Sports and new nothing about any other players/teams etc, Paul Scholes always said it was just a job.....two pretty decent footballers there.

Archived