Strikers?

cheron85

Am I the only one who thinks if Pearson plays 4 4 2 this season we already have enough strikers? I know buying a new one is all very exciting but don't we have enough quality in that department?

Martin - Top scorer 3 yrs running and high assists

Bent - 12 in 17 games when on loan in a side struggling for consistency

Blackman - 13 goals in 28 games for Reading when playing in forward pairing

Russell - 11 goals last season from the wing... Favours playing up front...

Weimann also plays there and Ince can always operate just behind the main striker...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts would be that we do need new personnel

Our defence was improved, our midfield is excellent and yet we haven't gone up.

Martin needs more intelligent support than he currently receives.

When we play Ince and Russell they often go missing in games and this isolates Martin, leaving us virtually playing with 8.

I would like to see a pacy forward who busts a gut getting into scoring positions, like a Wells or Kodja.

I'm a big Chris Martin fan and he's got to be classed as one of the best finishers in the division....but, I can't see Pearson being a fan of his falling over antics and mardy face (I understand he does when in or out of form). I just worry we need to look as solid with Martin in the team as when he isn't there. Which for years we haven't.  

15 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Id be dissapointed if Bent didnt leave this summer.

Can I ask why? The guy has had barely any game time this season and when he was on loan proved he can still bang goals in at this level... If we go 4 4 2 are there really any better proven goalscorers out there?

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would like to see a pacy forward who busts a gut getting into scoring positions, like a Wells or Kodja.

Russell or Weimann? Both pacy... Both work hard... Neither have had chance to play up front in a 2...

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Can I ask why? The guy has had barely any game time this season and when he was on loan proved he can still bang goals in at this level... If we go 4 4 2 are there really any better proven goalscorers out there?

Russell or Weimann? Both pacy... Both work hard... Neither have had chance to play up front in a 2...

I would agree Weimann deserves another chance but whilst I like Russell I think too often he flatters to deceive.

I just think a new striker rather than a wide man who can play there should be a priority. 

We got it wrong with Blackman and Bent isn't getting any younger or more agile.

Just my opinion of course.

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Am I the only one who thinks if Pearson plays 4 4 2 this season we already have enough strikers? I know buying a new one is all very exciting but don't we have enough quality in that department?

Martin - Top scorer 3 yrs running and high assists

Bent - 12 in 17 games when on loan in a side struggling for consistency

Blackman - 13 goals in 28 games for Reading when playing in forward pairing

Russell - 11 goals last season from the wing... Favours playing up front...

Weimann also plays there and Ince can always operate just behind the main striker...

It's an impressive five to choose from, and then there's both Zanzala and Bennett wanting to step up from the U21s. Given they're recent signings, Bent, Blackman and Weimann will be on big money and long contracts so are unlikely to want to move anywhere soon, especially Bent given his age. We haven't used any of these three players well, when they should be major assets. I hope Pearson is able to make more out of the squad we have including strikers.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I would agree Weimann deserves another chance but whilst I like Russell I think too often he flatters to deceive.

I just think a new striker rather than a wide man who can play there should be a priority. 

We got it wrong with Blackman and Bent isn't getting any younger or more agile.

Just my opinion of course.

Oh absolutely mate, set this up as a thought starter rather than anything else... Just to see if anyone else thought we already have a squad packed with strikers!

Russell isn't a wide man who can play there... He's a striker who's been forced to play as a wide man... Weimann too... And I think it's unfair to write off Blackman based on 2/3 games (yep, that's all he's played!) where he's being played in a position he's not used to, and at a time when we're transitioning between managers...

It is impossible to say what Pearson will do at present. It is perhaps fairly likely that he will play some variant of 442 as that has been his preferred option during his management career. Yet he played with three at the back during the last few months of his time at Leicester. Chris Powell obviously spent a lot of time at wing back when he played for us, so a 352 type formation may be another option. 433 has been our most effective formation in recent years, so Pearson might just stick to that to best use the players that are here and I'm sure I remember Leicester switching to that formation in during games when 442 wasn't working.

Until we know which formation that Pearson will use as his 'Plan A', it'll be hard to guess which strikers will fit. And it's become very clear that Pearson demands that players fir in well in the dressing room, and we can't know which ones do - just because Johnny Russell and Jake Buxton seem to give everything on the pitch, it doesn't mean that they don't really irritate their teammates. 

If I really had to make a guess, I'd say that Pearson will go 442, and want a big mobile striker to play with a striker with real pace. I don't think we've got the big player at the club, so he'll be a new signing. I can't help but think that Weimann has many of the same attributes as Vardy, so might be the second starting striker. We'll need five strikers, with another two needed of similar types to the first choice pair. Maybe Zanzala could make the step up as the 'big' deputy, or maybe we'll sign another striker, but probably one who is fairly young. Either Blackman or Russell could maybe provide back-up to Weimann, but I suspect that Russell will be easier to sell, so my guess would be blackman. Interestingly, whilst at Leicester, Pearson signed one Kevin Phillips, so it looks like he quite likes having an experienced 'poacher' available, which points to Bent remaining as the fifth striker.

So that would be New, Weimann, Zanzala, Balckman and Bent as our strikers, with Russell and Martin being sold - which of course pre-supposes that Pearson can't make Martin actually run and convert Johnny Russell into a proper wide midfielder/winger.

This is my opportunity to play "Lazy Keyboard Scout Bingo"

We've had Nakhi Wells and Kodjia mentioned already. Now just time to hear all about the other usual suspects. McCormack, Anichebe, Rhodes and Alan Judge amongst others.

Go ahead, tell us that you think a player rated around the £10m+ mark is the answer to everything. At least Andre Gray won't get much mentioning any more given his prominent role in Burnley's promotion.

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oh absolutely mate, set this up as a thought starter rather than anything else... Just to see if anyone else thought we already have a squad packed with strikers!

Russell isn't a wide man who can play there... He's a striker who's been forced to play as a wide man... Weimann too... And I think it's unfair to write off Blackman based on 2/3 games (yep, that's all he's played!) where he's being played in a position he's not used to, and at a time when we're transitioning between managers...

I must admit my lack of patience with Blackman has been fuelled by his apparent lack of desire and urgency when he gets on.

It could of course be entirely unfair and he may not always get clear instructions but he always looks to me a bit bewildered!

Confidence is everything to a striker. He just hasn't got it with us yet.

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

If I really had to make a guess, I'd say that Pearson will go 442, and want a big mobile striker to play with a striker with real pace.

His main strikers in the promotion season they had were Vardy, Nugent and Wood... Wouldn't count Nugent as big and wouldn't count Wood as mobile... Then he signed Ulloa who I wouldn't consider mega mobile... At least no more so than Martin...

I'd take Martin over any of Wood, Nugent or Ulloa personally...

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I must admit my lack of patience with Blackman has been fuelled by his apparent lack of desire and urgency when he gets on.

It could of course be entirely unfair and he may not always get clear instructions but he always looks to me a bit bewildered!

Confidence is everything to a striker. He just hasn't got it with us yet.

For me he finally showed a few touches in the Ipswich game that he's got some quality... Think we need to give him time... The pitiful amount of time he's had so far is too little to judge him on...

I think it's odd how many people are willing to give Camara and chance but not Blackman... Blackman seems to have been the preferred backup option for 2 managers now so they see something we don't...

41 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I just think a new striker rather than a wide man who can play there should be a priority

They're both strikers who can play there though. 

Most Villa fans will tell you that, despite playing there, Weimann isn't a winger. His movement and energy's fantastic. If we're going down the pacey striker route then he's probably as good as we're going to get. 

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

His main strikers in the promotion season they had were Vardy, Nugent and Wood... Wouldn't count Nugent as big and wouldn't count Wood as mobile... Then he signed Ulloa who I wouldn't consider mega mobile... At least no more so than Martin...

I'd take Martin over any of Wood, Nugent or Ulloa personally...

Really, I'd count both Wood and Ulloa as more mobile than Chris Martin - or at least the version we've seen so far. Of course that might actually be tactical or Martin might just get fitter under Pearson and cease being the slowest striker in the division.

Martin is of course excellent in the 433 formation, but IMO. has looked really poor in any other. 

33 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Great to speculate as fans do but until the players come back from there jollys, and Pearson gets to see them in action, who knows?!

id like to see an alternative to Martin as when he's off form, we struggle 

Big lump for me. Different enough from Martin to change things up if needs be, similar enough to cover for him.

41 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Really, I'd count both Wood and Ulloa as more mobile than Chris Martin - or at least the version we've seen so far. Of course that might actually be tactical or Martin might just get fitter under Pearson and cease being the slowest striker in the division.

Martin is of course excellent in the 433 formation, but IMO. has looked really poor in any other. 

If the Chesterfield cup game's anything to go by I think Martin as an attacking midfielder with somebody pacey and energetic ahead of him in a counter-attacking team would work. 

Against Chez Vegas he played deep second half and had Russell (then Ward) and Bent ahead of him and lofted it over the top twice for them to run onto, clean through. 

This is the thing with Martin; he's not quite an attacking midfielder and he's not quite a target man either. He's like a physical #10 (or as I usually put it "a fat attacking midfielder"). 

Archived