New Top Gear

ramsbottom

Bad things - 

- Evans needs to calm down and be himself instead of trying to be Clarkson

- The Star in A... segment is twice as long as it needs to be and they need to find better camera angles for the lap

- We haven't seen enough of Sabine or the one actual motor journalist on the show

- The banter in the studio is a little too forced

Good things - 

- Le Blanc is great and looks to be a quality driver

- Eddie Jordan playing the old fart is funny

- The VTs look as good as ever

- The challenges are looking a bit more inventive than the last few on the old series.

Overall, I'll keep watching.  Partly because it's a mainstream car show with a bit of personality and partly because there's feck all else on the other channels at the time...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 2 was miles better than the first.

The VT's are the show's strong point, the 'live' studio stuff is where it is let down. Its a shame that Chris Harris is doing Extra Gear, I hope he makes an appearance on Top Gear otherwise its a waste having him.

Not convinced by EJ, the guy annoys me anyway so has a lot to do to convince me. Le Blanc reading an autocue is just wrong, he is an actor ffs, just let him get on with it.

The worst thing is the references they keep making to the old show, like the 'we are doing that anymore' when the ending on a bombshell line starts to be used. The build of The Stig is just awful. 

I quite enjoyed the first episode, not yet watched the second.

Enjoyed the new celebrity lap format. Although Eisenberg was a crap guest given he has apparently no interest in cars, would rather it been just Ramsey cos he's a car nut.

MLB needs to loosen up a bit, but I'm sure he'll get used to it. Signs are good though. Still not sure about Chris Evans. He knows his cars, well, Fezzas at least, and I loved TFI Friday.

Want more of the 'extras' Sabine, Harris et al. Especially Sabine :wub:

3 hours ago, ladyram said:

Bring back Hammond, Clarkson & May please.

This lot are naff personified.

Would you or anybody..... Quite happily continue to work for someone whose gave you a whack in the chops...... 

Clarksons fault he's not on there. Whatever the ratings are.

A lot of the old Top Gear fan boys are most likely ruining for others by calling it shocking etc. Not watch it my self much coming in from a neutral prospective.

Facebook is just full of them making remarks making me not want to watch it personally and I never watched many! Hopefully things die down and the show can just get on with it so to speak.

It's just another Chris Evans show with some cars. He makes my toes curl everything he says is for his and his mates promotion or gain. Power mad and looking more and more like his idol Jimmy the older he gets...

Looking forward to what the old three come up with in their own show.

I thought the second episode was much better than the first, but Chris Evans is still horrendously annoying. Too shouty and really patronising. "Star in a Rallycross car" doesn't really work because they put together guests who barely know each other. If you're going to have two guests at least make it so they have incentive to compete against each other.

That being said, I do like Matt LeBlanc, Eddie Jordan and the other hosts seem ok. Evans doesn't really have any chemistry with them though and he's very much the lead host. With time it will improve but the BBC would have done so much better going with someone like Dermot O'Leary who likes cars, would have good chemistry with Matt and would take the show in another direction to Evans who's basically a less funny version of Clarkson.

The lead of the show is the worst part of the show. Chris Evans needs to tone it down. I thought the 2nd episode was good because they weren't trying to be over the top and it seemed like they were all having a genuine laugh. Let Matt LeBlanc does his own thing instead of reading of an autocue, the bloke is funny! 

I'm surprised and pleased with Matt Le Blanc. When he was first announced, it was such a random choice. Seemed like it was random for the sake of being random, get in with American audience, or he's a friend if a friend of Chris's or something. But he's genuinely the best thing about the new show. Who'd've predicted that?!

and Chris Evans is just being Chris Evans doing a bit of a Clarkson impersonation. I don't get why so many people are complaining about it. It's TFI with cars. That's what he does. What did people expect? And seemingly making a conscious effort not to rip up old Top Gear and start again (which, to be honest, he'd have been crucified for doing). 

I do think he's very good at the interviews. He's definitely borrowed some stuff from his radio show on Fridays. I quite having the guests from different walks of life like that, and he has always been a good, relaxed interviewer, better than clarkson even. So I'll give him that. 

The problem is that the show used to work because of the chemistry between the presenters. It was top lad banter with some cars to enjoy. Keeping the format largely the same, but without the 'mateyness' of the presenters hasn't worked. Even the interview bits are annoying as there are too many people being interviewed and the guests just come across as being there to showcase Chris Evans' talent.

Matt Le Blanc is surprisingly good, but Chris Evans is just annoying - and I'm actually quite a fan of his. I reckon the best way to rescue it is to bring in another presenter to dilute Evans' contribution and maybe produce a bit more dialogue between the presenters. Jack Dee would be perfect. He's not a particular 'petrol head', but would be great as a deadpan and sarcastic foil to Evans ginger enthusiasm and Le Blancs likable despite being an Americanness. That, and just have a single guest unless there is a good reason, such as featuring Ant and Dec or David Cameron and Boris Johnson,

The presenters of Extra Gear on BBC3, which is very good by the way, should be in episode 3. Rory Reid and Chris Harris come across very well so will be interesting to see how they do on the main program 

Archived