Wonder when Pearson agreed to join?

JG400

It seems strange to me that some of the players (mainly under 21's ) were allowed to leave before Pearson was announced I would have thought he would have liked to have a look at the whole team before deciding who he wanted or perhaps he saw the list and ok'ed it

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JG400 said:

It seems strange to me that some of the players (mainly under 21's ) were allowed to leave before Pearson was announced I would have thought he would have liked to have a look at the whole team before deciding who he wanted or perhaps he saw the list and ok'ed it

I really don't think there were any great shockers in there. It was a case of contracts not being renewed; we haven't sold all our stars before he was appointed or anything like that.

3 hours ago, JG400 said:

With the players coming up from the academy to the first team, whoever is manager will take the advice from Darren Wassall, and if he doesn't believe they will make an impact in the first team then the manager will listen to him. Also we had to announce to the FA who were not going to be given new contracts by the day we did.

4 hours ago, JG400 said:

You have submit a retained list by a certain date. Football League rules. Would be irrelevant who was in charge. Has to be done. 

4 hours ago, JG400 said:

it was only 5 u21 players and 2 first team players that had hardly got people talking. No big deal really.

I don't think he will interfere with the academy set up and will only have any say on the youngsters if they are deemed good enough to make the step up to the 1st team. No doubt he will keep on eye on them but will probably trust the academy coaches judgement.

In the Academy, a player has to keep improving and to be clearly better than his peers to stand any chance of getting in the First team. Pearson is on a mission to get us promoted. he has a one year plan and will pretty much be given anything that he wants, only limited by Fair Play constraints. One of Ince, Butterfield, Johnson and Shackell will probably go to raise some funds to balance the books. Pearson has got to hold fire with his cash in case we get injuries before Xmas. Although Mel and Clement did not appear to want loanees, Pearson has been very successful with them and they do not disturb Fair Play too much .His contacts in English football are better than Wassall's and Clement's.Pearson needs to give Wassall space to settle back into the Academy. Wassall is pretty much unsackable.

Best comment on here for a while is that Pearson, Powell and Phillips were all together at Leicester. A great arrangemrnt

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

In the Academy, a player has to keep improving and to be clearly better than his peers to stand any chance of getting in the First team. Pearson is on a mission to get us promoted. he has a one year plan and will pretty much be given anything that he wants, only limited by Fair Play constraints. One of Ince, Butterfield, Johnson and Shackell will probably go to raise some funds to balance the books. Pearson has got to hold fire with his cash in case we get injuries before Xmas. Although Mel and Clement did not appear to want loanees, Pearson has been very successful with them and they do not disturb Fair Play too much .His contacts in English football are better than Wassall's and Clement's.Pearson needs to give Wassall space to settle back into the Academy. Wassall is pretty much unsackable.

Best comment on here for a while is that Pearson, Powell and Phillips were all together at Leicester. A great arrangemrnt

Selling those players won't raise any money in the context of FFP as we are unlikely to recoup more than 75% of what we paid for them, so the incoming fee would just cancel out the amortization liabilities. They may go for 'morale' reasons, or to save on the wage bill, but not to help with FFP.

If we need to raise money (and I think we do for FFP), it will be Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Keogh, Russell, Christie, Forsyth or Bryson that will be sold.

20 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Pearson is on a mission to get us promoted. he has a one year plan and will pretty much be given anything that he wants, only limited by Fair Play constraints. One of Ince, Butterfield, Johnson and Shackell will probably go to raise some funds to balance the books. Pearson has got to hold fire with his cash in case we get injuries before Xmas.

Source for absolutely any of this?

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Selling those players won't raise any money in the context of FFP as we are unlikely to recoup more than 75% of what we paid for them, so the incoming fee would just cancel out the amortization liabilities. They may go for 'morale' reasons, or to save on the wage bill, but not to help with FFP.

If we need to raise money (and I think we do for FFP), it will be Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Keogh, Russell, Christie, Forsyth or Bryson that will be sold.

Great post CornwallRam. If we do not sell anyone, approximately how much cash can we spend this year?

ps if you you do not think that this Forum is brilliant, try reading the others. 90 seconds on some of them is enough for me.

A great cheer for all those who ran and contributed to this Forum last season.

dcfcfans..... What a bunch of guys and gals! (No offence Nintendo)

6 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Source for absolutely any of this?

Source for all of this is - my gathered wisdom / bull / positive spin / opinion / hope / desperation

I could add a caveat that these are my opinions but unless I give a stated source, (often someone else's opinion) they are my considered opinions. Most people on here already know that these are my considered opinions and that I am generally proved to be 40% correct with a chance of meatballs. :D

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Great post CornwallRam. If we do not sell anyone, approximately how much cash can we spend this year?

ps if you you do not think that this Forum is brilliant, try reading the others. 90 seconds on some of them is enough for me.

A great cheer for all those who ran and contributed to this Forum last season.

dcfcfans..... What a bunch of guys and gals! (No offence Nintendo)

Before @David stuffed up the forum update, I posted a  rough estimate that we might have in the region of £3m to spend. In truth though, there are so many variables, assumptions and unknowns, that it is little more than a guess. From that £3m, we would need to find the signing on fee, the agent's fees and the wages of an incoming player, as well as a percentage of the transfer fee 33% if a three year contract). If I'm anywhere close, it means that we could probably buy one player for £2-3 milion without selling - but there's so much parachute payment money around and wealthy owners at clubs like Wednesday, Bristol City, Reading and potentially Forest, that such fees might well not even be a 'Barker' by today's standards.

The new FFP rules really do distort transfer dealings - it's really difficult to get rid of expensive flops (who are likely to be loaned out for years rather than sold at a loss) and academy graduates represent a huge opportunity for FFP profit. Maybe Mel's idea for pouring money into the academy was a far more strategic decision than it first appeared?

49 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Agree with most of your considered wisdom of course, though I'm unclear what the changes are regarding the loan system for the new season (with FIFA's efforts to scrap our emergeny loans). Hopefully the club is rather more clued up than I am!

While selling players won't necessarily help wiith FFP because transfer fees are spread over the length of the contract, it would free up significant wages and often the wages are as important as the fee nowadays.

I hope it's a one-year plan and, if I'm impatient, I can't imagine how Mel feels. It's a strong squad and a strong management team so we should be thereabouts unless something unexpected happens.

Archived