Warnock would not be a superb choice!

Day

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

You dress it up as fact. You may not say fact but you give it as a definite.

The FFP limit is now £39m losses over 3 seasons. With the last season's minor loss we would have to have lost over £20m to be anywhere near not being able to spend very little.

£10m in wages? Again opinion and conjecture dressed as fact.

My understanding is that the FFP allowable loss from next season is a rolling total of the current and previous two seasons' allowances. Championship clubs are allowed £13m per season from the season just gone, but the previous one was only £6m. effectively, the target for next season for us will be a £32m for that season and the previous two (amusingly, I think Forest's previous overshoot comes off their allowance so they will have a lower target). From the season after it will be £39m for clubs that have been in the division for three years.

We know that we were £400k below for last season. This appears to give an indication of out target loss from predicted revenues. As our revenue appears to have held up nicely this season and we actually made the play offs, it could be assumed that we'll have done a little better this season. We may well be £600k under target. That would mean that we have an extra £1m in addition to our original £13m target. Assuming that we did meet FFP last season, the figures will include about £7m of amortisation loss for last season's signings, and the wage bill will be within the target figure. We'll be £300k better off as Sammon's amortisation will have ended.

From that, I would estimate that we'll have about £1.9m to play with (£1m from previous allowance, £600k undershoot and £300k Sammon). An unknown is the costs of firing McClaren and Clement, plus the other staff. If they were paid compensation and that's part of last season's losses, we may even have an extra couple of £million in the allowance. I think that we'll have to sell if we're going to spend any appreciable amounts, but I don't think that we have any serious problems. Such a situation might impact on our ability to recruit a proven manager though - not their wages, but they may not consider a c£3m (for example) warchest as sufficient to do the job.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, RamDon said:

I hadn't thought of that combination but, yes, that is not a bad idea.

Let's face it too: hopefully, Pearson's learned a thing or two about his "weaknesses" (code for "he's half mad and liable to fly off his rocker at any time") and will recognise that a minder would be a good compromise in order to get his mits on the Derby squad and a second redemptive shot at the Prem.

Hopefully, too, Mel has recognised that he can't hire managers and then interfere with them doing their job.

Sadly, one senses that, if it's true that Pearson came seeking the Derby job several months ago and nothing came if it, that particular ship has sailed.

Apparently Pearson did an interview recently where he said that he'd like Chris Powell to be his assistant when he starts work again.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Opinion pieces are part and parcel of what football writers do. Every outlet shares its own opinions on a wide range of subjects. You can agree with them, or disagree with them.

Anybody can be a freelance writer. Be it sport, climate, travel... Anything really. In what sense is GRR Martin qualified to write award winning novels? You don't have to have any qualification to write, anybody can do it.

I was allowed to keep writing for a number of reasons, but mainly due to being fairly good at it.

I think RR Martin writes fiction so it's a good analogy.

A good sports journalist will have great contacts in the industry. They don't just make it up and pass it off as fact (well the good ones don't anyway).

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think RR Martin writes fiction so it's a good analogy.

A good sports journalist will have great contacts in the industry. They don't just make it up and pass it off as fact (well the good ones don't anyway).

What have I made up and passed off as fact? 

PistoldPete2
Just now, Bris Vegas said:

What have I made up and passed off as fact? 

Hi Bris... I think your assumptions about FFP are open to question as has been suggested. Teams can suffer losses of £39 million over three years , and can allow for depreciation of costs of academy and stadium. Etc. losses can be this high , provided they are converted to owner equity. So in Derby' s case we are much less at risk of FFP than Forest were because we have a paternalistic owner/ benefactor, and we own our own ground and the academy. 

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Why wouldn't you want Warnock anyway, yes he wouldn't be my first choice otherwise but I'd take him if you offered him to me right now. We need to get out of this division as soon as possible with ffp after this upcoming season after our previous good work won't be taken into account after this season

I'd rather stay down than go up with Mrs Doubtfire.

Opinions are what this forum is all about, unfortunately we have some posters who believe because they have managed a Sunday league team, watched games on TV that they are the next Gary Neville or should be on the scouting books at Derby....luckily Bris isn't one of them, some of his posts are memorable and you can see by the content he doesn't take himself seriously, best ones for me are the hundred of Will Hughes quality players in Spain, his several million visitors to his blog, all Mexican women are so much more beautiful than English, and that's just for starters.

He deserves the accolades he gets, and you can see based upon some of the other comedy journalists on HITC why they pay him so handsomely.

Only joking Bris, I do think you have the potential to be the Derby equivalent of Nixon, and you certainly do yourself no harm in your marketing approach :-)

"Derby fans are desperate for a return to the top-flight, and few would argue against Warnock"

Are we?

I'm not.

"Promotion is not a priority"-Mel - is not either.

What we want is stability with continual improvement, warnock can get sides out of the league... but then they used to say that about McCarthy. Neither would last a single season in the premier league due to their motivational skills being not enough when it comes to tactical knowledge and the ability to deal with better players, managers and teams.

Warnocks case is not helped with the lengths he has gone to in the past to get one over derby, including acusing his ex players who respected him of cheating, and appealing for them to get sent off, all in the aid of neil getting one result.

The man is a cancer to any club he joins. His is as bout as popular as Robbie Savage was as a player, and that is saying something. If nothing in football surprises you, then you will know nothing this man can do or say will suprise you.

Vile simply Vile.

Interestingly, despite managing a wealth of clubs, only one of Warnock's former teams finished above us last season. He has neither the pedigree nor the past triumph to justify his name even being in the ring. Whilst I usually prefer to be on the side of the club knowing what it's doing, if Warnock were to be appointed I would be genuinely annoyed for a myriad of reasons. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Interestingly, despite managing a wealth of clubs, only one of Warnock's former teams finished above us last season. He has neither the pedigree nor the past triumph to justify his name even being in the ring. Whilst I usually prefer to be on the side of the club knowing what it's doing, if Warnock were to be appointed I would be genuinely annoyed for a myriad of reasons. 

I don't think anyone is advocating Warnock being a long-term option. I feel if Derby are serious about where they want to go, they need to get promotion as soon as possible.

I wouldn't be saying the same thing if they hadn't spent £25 million over the past 12 months. That madness threw out any idea of a steady progression towards the Premier League.

15 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think anyone is advocating Warnock being a long-term option. I feel if Derby are serious about where they want to go, they need to get promotion as soon as possible.

I wouldn't be saying the same thing if they hadn't spent £25 million over the past 12 months. That madness threw out any idea of a steady progression towards the Premier League.

3 promotions to the top division in 20+ years, 7 promotions in 36 years. There are better managers out there, and ones that will do less long term damage. Again, all but one club he's managed over his career being in a worse position than us speaks volumes of his long term effect. 

If we're going for "promotion or bust" I'd have Warnock somewhere around not on my list at all. There are far better managers out there, and ones with better records of promotion. To put it another way, I don't think anyone but you is advocating for Warnock, an awful suggestion and a choice I'd be genuinely disgusted with. 

As usual though, as much as I respect that you might have some decent sources these days, I think you're still well wide of the mark in your analysis of what makes good players and managers. 

3 hours ago, Albert said:

3 promotions to the top division in 20+ years, 7 promotions in 36 years. There are better managers out there, and ones that will do less long term damage. Again, all but one club he's managed over his career being in a worse position than us speaks volumes of his long term effect. 

If we're going for "promotion or bust" I'd have Warnock somewhere around not on my list at all. There are far better managers out there, and ones with better records of promotion. To put it another way, I don't think anyone but you is advocating for Warnock, an awful suggestion and a choice I'd be genuinely disgusted with. 

As usual though, as much as I respect that you might have some decent sources these days, I think you're still well wide of the mark in your analysis of what makes good players and managers. 

Agreed there are better managers out there, but who is available and willing to come to Derby?

Unfortunately we are not in the Prem, so will no doubt attracted the caliber of  Warnock, Pearson etc

12 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Opinions are what this forum is all about, unfortunately we have some posters who believe because they have managed a Sunday league team, watched games on TV that they are the next Gary Neville or should be on the scouting books at Derby....luckily Bris isn't one of them, some of his posts are memorable and you can see by the content he doesn't take himself seriously, best ones for me are the hundred of Will Hughes quality players in Spain, his several million visitors to his blog, all Mexican women are so much more beautiful than English, and that's just for starters.

He deserves the accolades he gets, and you can see based upon some of the other comedy journalists on HITC why they pay him so handsomely.

Only joking Bris, I do think you have the potential to be the Derby equivalent of Nixon, and you certainly do yourself no harm in your marketing approach :-)

He's way ahead of Nixon in the accuracy stakes - but then again, so is Henry Armstrong, Dorothy Martin and Pope Sylvester II.

Archived