Warnock would not be a superb choice!

Day

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ITSD said:

No, no, no, no, no.

I would much rather see us stay in the championship playing exciting, attacking football than get promoted playing hoof ball. That worked so well last time. It also seems the case to me that the most successful teams who go on to be successful in the premier league play nice football, e.g. Southampton, Swansea.

Our squad isn't set up for hoofball either.

We will see if Mel is serious about the Derby way from who he appoints. I fully agree with his ideas and I'd be disappointed if he appointed someone who didn't fit in with that philosophy.

"Most teams", absolutely not. Most teams are hard to beat when they go up, have one year of scrapping in the prem then can build from there.  If you think that Warnock's teams are boring then you obviously don't watch football. This "exciting, attacking football" hasn't got us promoted. 1 season of sacrifice and success is better than 3 years of this so called exciting football and failure.

9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

The 12 things journalists are doing to destroy their craft

The results will shock you! You won't believe #6!

Now with added cheerleaders

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think the general footballing consensus recognises Warnock as a man who knows how to get promotions. There are so few options, long-term options, out there for Derby now.

Seriously - Who does Mel expect to get? A manager which can come in now, continue with our fine traditions, taking the club up and establish themselves in the PL. It's an absolute pipe-dream.

The most viable option, considering the squad we have, is to bring in somebody who knows how to get up. When we get the to PL, we can ditch him for a top quality manager like Quique Sanches Flores.

We're limited in the Championship. It's all about stepping stones now. Getting to the PL is a must for a squad which has such a hefty wage bill and vast amounts of cash spent on the playing squad.

Which available managers out there have a better track record of promotions that Warnock? Take into account it's extremely unlikely we will be paying compensation for an employed manager this summer.

Few could argue that Warnock is the best, suitable, available short-term appointment we could make...

How do you know what our financial outlay is, limits we have and what we are currently and willing to spend? All conjecture and opinion dressed up as fact.

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Now with added cheerleaders

And a free Caribbean cruise.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

How do you know what our financial outlay is, limits we have and what we are currently and willing to spend? All conjecture and opinion dressed up as fact.

Not a fact, I've just been pieceing things together. I could be wrong, I just don't think after spending £25m plus an extra £10m or so in wages in two transfer windows gives us much leeway in the next few windows.

The squad has been built, I imagine it's now a case of fine tuning. Adding a manager currently employed is another expense, and one which Mel would probably want to avoid.

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Hate this kind of stuff, I really do. Competition between on-line media outlets has become so intense that sites are now coming up with ludicrous headlines to pull in viewers.

I've been done countless times by the Daily Star. They're the worst.

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not a fact, I've just been pieceing things together. I could be wrong, I just don't think after spending £25m plus an extra £10m or so in wages in two transfer windows gives us much leeway in the next few windows.

The squad has been built, I imagine it's now a case of fine tuning. Adding a manager currently employed is another expense, and one which Mel would probably want to avoid.

Seems your accountancy is based upon the same principle as your clickbait articles....complete guesswork :D

2 hours ago, Rammeister said:

Moist cloth and baking soda.

Do you have Napisan over there? While it's still wet preferably, soak it overnight in hot water with Napisan.

If it's been allowed to dry, just pre-treat it with a heavy mixture of Napisan in water, then soak.

Regarding Warnock, having just looked at the odds, he's the most suitable candidate after Warburton and I am sceptical of Warburton leaving Rangers. To be fair to me, I have not seen enough of Rowett to judge him as most of you have but, regardless, the commentary on Warnock's coaching is a tad harsh. 

He's a bitter, unlikable old bustard, I'll grant you, but his tactics are hardly that one-dimensional.

But, looking at the clear breakaway top five in the odds, I really think we ought think again about Pearson but saddle him with a minder to try to control his more angry outbursts.

3 minutes ago, RamDon said:

Do you have Napisan over there? While it's still wet preferably, soak it overnight in hot water with Napisan.

If it's been allowed to dry, just pre-treat it with a heavy mixture of Napisan in water, then soak.

Regarding Warnock, having just looked at the odds, he's the most suitable candidate after Warburton and I am sceptical of Warburton leaving Rangers. To be fair to me, I have not seen enough of Rowett to judge him as most of you have but, regardless, the commentary on Warnock's coaching is a tad harsh. 

He's a bitter, unlikable old bustard, I'll grant you, but his tactics are hardly that one-dimensional.

But, looking at the clear breakaway top five in the odds, I really think we ought think again about Pearson but saddle him with a minder to try to control his more angry outbursts.

Like Chris Powell?

Pearson and Powell would be my absolute dream team.

I'm not completely against the idea of Warnock. I do think that we need to separate the goals of promotion and long-term sustainability. Once we're up we will have enough resources and the draw of the PL to attract managers/head coaches that will play attractive football. If we try to do it at this level we'll just end up with a bunch of skillful bottlers, who will never quite manage to achieve promotion. 

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Dude it's not clickbate. Even if it was what problem is it to you? He is trying to earn a living. 

It's only one person's opinions dressed up as something more grand. Blokes in the pub used to have opinions on sport - nobody expected to be paid for having one.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Few could argue against him being the best option out there. Taking into account he is free and has about six promotions already to his name. I clearly mentioned a short-term option, not a long-term.

Get the to PL, and then we'll have the pick of a top class manager. Just like Watford have done.

I really do think some are dismissing the logic of BrisVegas far too readily. An innate understanding of the Championship and how to get out of it is often underrated.

Look at Burnley. I personally don't think Dyche, his squad or, indeed, that club have what it takes to trouble the Premier League but you have to acknowledge that Sean Dyche can 'work' the Championship.

Not in the same awful category as the Poison Dwarf, mind you but nor is Warnock.

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

You dress it up as fact. You may not say fact but you give it as a definite.

The FFP limit is now £39m losses over 3 seasons. With the last season's minor loss we would have to have lost over £20m to be anywhere near not being able to spend very little.

£10m in wages? Again opinion and conjecture dressed as fact.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Like Chris Powell?

Pearson and Powell would be my absolute dream team.

I'm not completely against the idea of Warnock. I do think that we need to separate the goals of promotion and long-term sustainability. Once we're up we will have enough resources and the draw of the PL to attract managers/head coaches that will play attractive football. If we try to do it at this level we'll just end up with a bunch of skillful bottlers, who will never quite manage to achieve promotion. 

I hadn't thought of that combination but, yes, that is not a bad idea.

Let's face it too: hopefully, Pearson's learned a thing or two about his "weaknesses" (code for "he's half mad and liable to fly off his rocker at any time") and will recognise that a minder would be a good compromise in order to get his mits on the Derby squad and a second redemptive shot at the Prem.

Hopefully, too, Mel has recognised that he can't hire managers and then interfere with them doing their job.

Sadly, one senses that, if it's true that Pearson came seeking the Derby job several months ago and nothing came if it, that particular ship has sailed.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's only one person's opinions dressed up as something more grand. Blokes in the pub used to have opinions on sport - nobody expected to be paid for having one.

Opinion pieces are part and parcel of what football writers do. Every outlet shares its own opinions on a wide range of subjects. You can agree with them, or disagree with them.

Anybody can be a freelance writer. Be it sport, climate, travel... Anything really. In what sense is GRR Martin qualified to write award winning novels? You don't have to have any qualification to write, anybody can do it.

I was allowed to keep writing for a number of reasons, but mainly due to being fairly good at it.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Opinion pieces are part and parcel of what football writers do. Every outlet shares its own opinions on a wide range of subjects. You can agree with them, or disagree with them.

Anybody can be a freelance writer. Be it sport, climate, travel... Anything really. In what sense is GRR Martin qualified to write award winning novels? You don't have to have any qualification to write, anybody can do it.

I was allowed to keep writing for a number of reasons, but mainly due to being fairly good at it.

Well again another opinion...;)

Seriously though folks - isn't this what this forum is all about.

We may or may not agree with Bris' assertions but he's free to make them and we're free to challenge them. That's why I come on here. It would be a pretty moribund experience if we all agreed all of the time.

Archived