we went down fighting

B4ev6is

I am so pround of them tonight they gave everything and more they played with passion and pride to be in a derby shirt. Hopefully next season will be our year if we get the right man in charge. And sprikle of players to take us up another level.

All derby fans who went tonight was awsome from before kick off and having some great banter. But i swear it sounded like 20k derby fans we never stopped singing or never gave up.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can cut and paste that for the last three years.

I don't think we've gone down fighting. I think we've gone down underachieving. Not that we've actually gone down anywhere. We're arguably in worse shape than we have been for a while. Still, who knows what next season will bring?

I thought we played brilliant 1st half. Half time came at the wrong time second half we looked knackered. Them replacing Huddlestone and us losing Weimann lost us the momentum.We have got respect through out the county after that performance shame we couldn't get the 3rd.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think people are over-rating last night's performance. It's was very pointless and lacked purpose.

I don't understand this comment. A pointless performance? Lacking purpose? What if Bryson had converted in the second half ? Or martin? Or even weimann hadn't got injured? We could have brought it level and given hull the fright of their lives. And even if you accept that we were never going to win, we still had pride to play for and it certainly isn't pointless or lacking purpose to regain that. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think people are over-rating last night's performance. It's was very pointless and lacked purpose.

I disagree.

The players responded well to the criticism they'd received following Saturday's poor display. They went out with their heads held high defiantly trying to right Saturday's wrong. It didn't quite come off but I give them great credit for at least giving it a go. Summer would feel a whole lot more bleak carrying a further inept defeat into it.

BTW, how many away teams have won at the KC Stadium this season?

Steve Bruce: “Derby have given us a right doing and a half in the second leg,” said Bruce. 

“They scored inside ten minutes and had their tails up, which was the last thing we wanted. 

“We became nervous and edgy and had to dig deep. Derby had a huge amount of possession, but we eventually showed that resilience to grind it out and get to the final. That is the important thing at the end of the day. 

“We made hard work of it. You have to offer a big pat on the back to Derby because they’re a good side. For how good we were in the first leg, Derby were every bit as good in the second leg. 

“They played without fear and played very well. We handled the occasion well on Saturday, but we couldn’t put one foot in front of the other here. 

“Once you get into that, it’s very difficult to get out of it. We defended for our lives at times and we’re through by the skin of our teeth. 

“It could have been an embarrassing night for us, but thankfully it wasn’t. 

http://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/article/bruce-we-made-hard-work-of-it-but-were-through-to-the-final-3117305.aspx#3C1384Wvk9LAeWPK.99

12 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

the whole point of the game is to score goals, we didn't get close to scoring goals.

I agree up to a point.  I thought we looked good up until Weimann went off but after that we didn't get behind them at all and the last 15, despite a lot of nail chewing from their fans, was pretty comfortable for them.  Regardless of who was responsible for motivating the players, we got the reaction we were all hoping for.  

Sadly, in context it makes Saturday's performance even more annoying...

When you look at the opposition, the fact we were away, 3-0 down and pretty much written off by everyone including the fans. Last night for me was the performance of the season. Didn't look like scoring? can't disagree more, 16 shots, ok only a couple on target but too much is made of that stat, doesn't tell the full story, same as assists. 

The only frustration I had from the night other than seeing what this team is capable of is yet again failing to make the most of set pieces, we had a couple free kicks in great positions, one of which was a couple feet away from being a penalty. 

12 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

You win the "Glass half empty wrist-slasher of the year award".

A little harsh. I don't agree with Mostyn on this, but he is usually one of our more sensible posters.

I can think of several far more deserving recipients of that particular award.

We played are 2 most important games of the season in the last 5 days and we managed only 3 shots on target in both games.

That's the problem, goals win games, goals get you promotion.

We have to be honest with ourselves, we are not good enough for promotion, certainly nowhere near good enough for the prem.

Time to reflect, take stock, rebuild for next season and hope we can get it right next time.

Archived