we went down fighting

B4ev6is

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, toddy said:

We played are 2 most important games of the season in the last 5 days and we managed only 3 shots on target in both games.

That's the problem, goals win games, goals get you promotion.

We have to be honest with ourselves, we are not good enough for promotion, certainly nowhere near good enough for the prem.

Time to reflect, take stock, rebuild for next season and hope we can get it right next time.

Are any of the promoted teams going to be good enough for the prem without strengthening in the summer? This season we were clearly not good enough to get promotion. If by some chance we had got promoted do you really think we would field the exact same players in the prem?

I feel getting out of this division requires one set of players with certain attributes, remaining in the prem requires a little extra.

1 hour ago, Ewetube said:

Are any of the promoted teams going to be good enough for the prem without strengthening in the summer? This season we were clearly not good enough to get promotion. If by some chance we had got promoted do you really think we would field the exact same players in the prem?

I feel getting out of this division requires one set of players with certain attributes, remaining in the prem requires a little extra.

I said elsewhere the other day , that Jeff Stelling asked Merson who had being covering the Burnley game a few weeks back how he thought they had got on and how they would get on in the prem. Merson said something like if this is best the championship has got, then God help in the prem they need 8 or 9 new players to just compete, the gap between the bottom of the prem and the top of the championship  has got bigger.

If we had won the play offs we would need another new team, look at Watford they added 64 million worth of new talent after promotion.

How many of our squad are good enough to play in the prem  and as Mel said "compete in that division" -  I reckon very few, we don't want a rerun of 2008 season.

Merson is talking crap. Just saying that because he doesnt like Burnleys style, and you dont see it much in the Premier.

Fact is they gave it a good go last time and have got 90 odd point in 2 championship seasons running. If they maintain their self belief and team spirit you can do ok in the prem. Its when after 2 or 3 bad results and your head drops that you are in the $hit, As Per villa, newcastle, sunderland every year until the final few games etc.

Losing Barton to Rangers for them would be massive.

12 minutes ago, toddy said:

I said elsewhere the other day , that Jeff Stelling asked Merson who had being covering the Burnley game a few weeks back how he thought they had got on and how they would get on in the prem. Merson said something like if this is best the championship has got, then God help in the prem they need 8 or 9 new players to just compete, the gap between the bottom of the prem and the top of the championship  has got bigger.

If we had won the play offs we would need another new team, look at Watford they added 64 million worth of new talent after promotion.

How many of our squad are good enough to play in the prem  and as Mel said "compete in that division" -  I reckon very few, we don't want a rerun of 2008 season.

It's certainly a fact of life these days. Gone are the days where a team from the championship can go up and compete in the top division without significant investment. 

Mersons talking out his arse! The gap between the top of the champ n bottom of the prem isnt that big! Look at bournemouth! You do need to spend but there are some weak teams in the prem at the moment!

I think this derby team suffers mentally! Its probably already been said a hundred times on here but its all about confidence! On paper we have the best team in the league! The problem is they dont always play like a team and there confidence is so fragile! Everyone knew what would happen on saturday soon as that hull goal went in. We came out swinging but it didnt quiet click and we conceded and the confidence just went, no movement none of them wanted the ball! It was scary how it happened!

When this team are up for it they could beat any team in this league at a canter but some games they just dont turn up! It makes me think theres problems behind the scenes. Players not getting on etc, not  respecting wasssell, somethings off because this team on paper should have walked this league!

Yes i get we had injuries n chopping managers but we underperformed massively in my opinion!

Surely the point is that we went down.

I'm fed up of being the plucky loser. Most of the time we're not even plucky.

Even with 15 minutes to go, one or two were looking for excuses for failure (Martin, Ince, Christie) and to use Holloway's phrase 'looking disappointed'. Jim Smith or Cloughie would not have tolerated that. We desperately need a proper manager who can turn those three, for example, into the first rate players they could be.

4 hours ago, David said:

Steve Bruce: “Derby have given us a right doing and a half in the second leg,” said Bruce. 

“They scored inside ten minutes and had their tails up, which was the last thing we wanted. 

“We became nervous and edgy and had to dig deep. Derby had a huge amount of possession, but we eventually showed that resilience to grind it out and get to the final. That is the important thing at the end of the day. 

“We made hard work of it. You have to offer a big pat on the back to Derby because they’re a good side. For how good we were in the first leg, Derby were every bit as good in the second leg. 

“They played without fear and played very well. We handled the occasion well on Saturday, but we couldn’t put one foot in front of the other here. 

“Once you get into that, it’s very difficult to get out of it. We defended for our lives at times and we’re through by the skin of our teeth. 

“It could have been an embarrassing night for us, but thankfully it wasn’t. 

http://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/article/bruce-we-made-hard-work-of-it-but-were-through-to-the-final-3117305.aspx#3C1384Wvk9LAeWPK.99

Very classy comment by Steve Bruce. He has gone up in my estimation in the way he's conducted himself through the semi final.

15 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

How hell can you not say they never went out fighting yes they did if we had 5 mins more i was sure that 3rd or 4th goal was coming.

I was only listening /watching bits but the overall view was we needed to get the 3rd before about 60 min's and brysons was the chance. 

Once hull brought on meyler for huddlestone and we lost weimann they looked more solid and we not surprisingly got tired. So a 3rd goal became less likely. 

But you're right to be proud b4. You witnessed one of the almost greatest comebacks of all time. 

4 hours ago, David said:

Steve Bruce: “Derby have given us a right doing and a half in the second leg,” said Bruce. 

“They scored inside ten minutes and had their tails up, which was the last thing we wanted. 

“We became nervous and edgy and had to dig deep. Derby had a huge amount of possession, but we eventually showed that resilience to grind it out and get to the final. That is the important thing at the end of the day. 

“We made hard work of it. You have to offer a big pat on the back to Derby because they’re a good side. For how good we were in the first leg, Derby were every bit as good in the second leg. 

“They played without fear and played very well. We handled the occasion well on Saturday, but we couldn’t put one foot in front of the other here. 

“Once you get into that, it’s very difficult to get out of it. We defended for our lives at times and we’re through by the skin of our teeth. 

“It could have been an embarrassing night for us, but thankfully it wasn’t. 

http://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/article/bruce-we-made-hard-work-of-it-but-were-through-to-the-final-3117305.aspx#3C1384Wvk9LAeWPK.99

Fair play to Bruce

He's not buttering up Mel is he?

Archived