The style of football going forward...

22 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

It's a mess from top to bottom and will take years to sort it out.

We've gone back five years in the space of nine months. Playing staff again needs culling as it's to bloated and full of overpriced and overpaid dross.

Be prepared for another three or more seasons of championship football before we get it right. 

Haven't we been here before ?

Well done Mel Morris, you have single handedly destroyed the sole of this football club.

By backing his manager with money to spend?

I imagine you was much happier under the Three Amigos then?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about a 4231 or a 442 with forwards who basically take it in turns to come short for the ball? We could switch between these formations depending on the opposition.

I feel these options are less reliant on single players and allow for any player to slot straight into the system. Much more versitile in my opinion. Thorne and Hughes as the first choice central partnership. Ince and Russell fighting over a slot on the left with possibly Weimann on the right and sign a decent right footed crosser to compete with him. Someone like James Henry or Gallagher from Preston?

59 minutes ago, JW37 said:

Carson

Christie Keogh/New Shackell  Olsson

Thorne    Johnson/New

New                  Hughes             Ince

New

A solid and reliable centre half

An energetic ball winner

A goal scoring winger 

A fast striker who can stretch defences

All new signings have to be proven championship quality like Alan Judge for example that is how you get out of this division. And for god sake stop hoofing the ball up to Martin ffs.

A Boro fan came on here yesterday and said that Grant Leadbitter could be sold as they're looking for an upgrade. Would be a great player in the cdm role next to thorne. Or someone like kevin mccdonald from wolves

People after the game messaged RD to say that we have no pacey winger that can beat a man which is total BS, we bought one for 1.25m and he really wants to play and never makes the bench. Yesterday we kept playing stupid first time balls when they have time for a second touch around the box. We needed a measured approach to keep things steady but instead lumped balls and moved the ball aimlessly around corners to no one. Hughes should have been the spearhead everyone could see it, control the ball and keep it waiting for the gaps to appear around the box.

The problem I see is there is no definitive answer, really we are at our best when we draw teams out and get forward quick but any teams that are smart won't fall for it (like yesterday). Hull did their homework, bet they went back and watched every game where sides got joy here and replicated it. Battle for the first 20 and set up a tight bank of players on the edge of the box, we rarely break that down. Us having a shocker was just a nice bonus, they just waited to pounce of us giving the ball away.

One thing that has struck  me this season is how woeful we are from set pieces, if you can't get that goal to open the game up from open play, winning FKs around the box is another way. We never ever look like scoring from FKs or corners, one less thing for Hull to worry about. Any good successful side is dangerous from box open play and set piece situations.

I don't think the system is necessarily wrong but we just don't do the right things half the time, we don't maximise all situations. Our corners are shocking and if they actually beat the first man we never win the header anyway, our set piece crosses are always intercepted or drift past the far post. Also how many teams come here and have FK takers that hit the target from their only attempt yet we sky about five a game?

All this adds up to what you saw yesterday, fine margins at the top end of the game.

14 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Ok, now this isn't me pointing blame at individuals, but if it time for a change in system and culture within the team? 

He has been arguably the best free signing in our recent history, but we have created a brand of football evolved around Chris Martin for 3 seasons now, and we are still a championship club. Let's be honest, when it works, it bloody works, and it's great, but recently it has become stale, and this is becoming more and more common. Is it time to embrace the style of football of the last 3 champions of the division (Leicester, Bournemouth and Burnley) and play with pace in forward areas with a 4-4-2, or a different formation? 

Will the formation be considered in the recruitment process in the summer? 

Again, I'm not just moaning about Martin, because there were 11 individuals out there today (and individuals being the key word) who didn't perform. This is not a sell Martin thread, he is key to our success, but is deploying a system solely around him becoming more and more predictable for sides? 

Absolutely agree. When Derby are chasing games or looking to break teams down, our current style can be a liability. Martin gets surrounded and opposition midfielders play very centrally to negate our obvious strengths there. The obvious way to change that is to get bodies in around him but Bryson has only returned to the team reasonably recently & the delivery from wide areas isn't good enough currently.

On the flip side, playing away from home or against teams who want to play open football, our style looks very effective & Martin does get some joy.

Going forward, I would like to see a clear plan B - whilst not a fan of 4-4-2 per se, I think a more mobile striker alongside Martin or at times instead of him, might give teams more trouble. I also think we need to have more presence in between midfield & attack - whether Butterfield or Hughes to link up play between the front 3 & the rest of the team. Yesterday it appeared Bradley Johnson was the furthest midfielder forward & the lad doesn't have the touch or creativity to play that role.

2 hours ago, 11carl00 said:

How about a 4231 or a 442 with forwards who basically take it in turns to come short for the ball? We could switch between these formations depending on the opposition.

I feel these options are less reliant on single players and allow for any player to slot straight into the system. Much more versitile in my opinion. Thorne and Hughes as the first choice central partnership. Ince and Russell fighting over a slot on the left with possibly Weimann on the right and sign a decent right footed crosser to compete with him. Someone like James Henry or Gallagher from Preston?

The formation is secondary , footballers have come to our club from other clubs who have played different formations ,, we have played other formations,,, it's a bit of a cop out really football players in the main need to be versatile to change up for certain games and during certain games , now we either have dumber than dumb players who can't get what they are being asked to do or coaches who can't get across what they want from players ,,, no what we lack more than anything else is a manager players run through walls for and find a way to win when the chips are down , yesterday Hughes was the only one out there who looked like a player and he was squandered in a holding role ,, I'm not one for scapegoats either but to me shackell is a total waste of space unless things are going his way , is it just me or should he have been standing up to the deflection rather than trying to turn away from it? 

I've seen a lot of people mention a pacey striker that can stretch defences. We have one... Blackman. Play him in his best position. He is not a bad player despite the unjustifiable criticism he receives in the stands. 

Pointless buying one. 

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

People after the game messaged RD to say that we have no pacey winger that can beat a man which is total BS, we bought one for 1.25m and he really wants to play and never makes the bench. Yesterday we kept playing stupid first time balls when they have time for a second touch around the box. We needed a measured approach to keep things steady but instead lumped balls and moved the ball aimlessly around corners to no one. Hughes should have been the spearhead everyone could see it, control the ball and keep it waiting for the gaps to appear around the box.

The problem I see is there is no definitive answer, really we are at our best when we draw teams out and get forward quick but any teams that are smart won't fall for it (like yesterday). Hull did their homework, bet they went back and watched every game where sides got joy here and replicated it. Battle for the first 20 and set up a tight bank of players on the edge of the box, we rarely break that down. Us having a shocker was just a nice bonus, they just waited to pounce of us giving the ball away.

One thing that has struck  me this season is how woeful we are from set pieces, if you can't get that goal to open the game up from open play, winning FKs around the box is another way. We never ever look like scoring from FKs or corners, one less thing for Hull to worry about. Any good successful side is dangerous from box open play and set piece situations.

I don't think the system is necessarily wrong but we just don't do the right things half the time, we don't maximise all situations. Our corners are shocking and if they actually beat the first man we never win the header anyway, our set piece crosses are always intercepted or drift past the far post. Also how many teams come here and have FK takers that hit the target from their only attempt yet we sky about five a game?

All this adds up to what you saw yesterday, fine margins at the top end of the game.

Totally agree. Our set pieces have been poor since Billy whinged at Wembley. There just doesn't seem to be any organisation or training ground routines. I'm sure we could try near-post flick on corners or free kicks where one of the two players standing over the ball suddenly runs down the 'wrong' side of the wall. Yet all we seem to do is lump it in and hope for the best.

Thinking about it, the free kicks in midfield also wind me up. We nearly always take them short and end up passing it between our centre-halves and back to the keeper. Often, they turn out to have been a liability. The odd short one is fine, but not every one. For the majority we should send the big lads up and play for knock downs. At least we'd be taking the game to the opposition and forcing them back.

On 14 May 2016 at 21:45, eddie said:

Pretty much. All three Hull goals today came from us failing to find a white shirt. The number of times a Derby player with the ball became isolated, surrounded by 3 or 4 Hull players, was alarming. It was the worst 90 minutes I think I've witnessed since THAT season, and the worst performance in this division since shipping half a dozen at Coventry.

But I still didn't boo, because I'm better than that.

:p

Dead right Eddie .. And Ince was a prime example on at least 3 occasions .. Yes he had a poor game but so many times he had the ball, was surrounded and everyone in a white shirt was watching .. There was none moving to give him support or an outlet and he just got battered in to losing the ball. Players weren't moving in to space that was there for the taking because e Hull players were hounding us in numbers .. This doesn't work IF you then move to occupy the space they've left .. We didn't 

yup .. And I held my head in my hands but booing just isn't on 

Archived