Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Failed at Palace in the top flight, failed at Norwich in the top flight.

Might as well sign Cameron Jerome on a free than bring Bamford back.

I'd be interested at £2m tops mind.

But we're not in the top flight and he has proven to be more than capable at this level, and has the potential to establish himself as a Premier League player if he's willing to take the step down first. I'd be happy to see his spend c. £5m on Bamford, but can understand the inflated price given the market. Equally, I wouldn't mind Cameron Jerome - but it'd take something to wrangle him off of Norwich for free when his contract doesn't expire until next summer...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

But we're not in the top flight and he has proven to be more than capable at this level, and has the potential to establish himself as a Premier League player if he's willing to take the step down first. I'd be happy to see his spend c. £5m on Bamford, but can understand the inflated price given the market. Equally, I wouldn't mind Cameron Jerome - but it'd take something to wrangle him off of Norwich for free when his contract doesn't expire until next summer...

Sorry, read elsewhere on here he'd been released.

Point still stands, in your original post you said Bamford was available for £10m, and might be worth it.

Even at the £5m quoted above, he's not worth it.

Too many of the names put forward have been on the basis of possible back-up roles but what we need are acquisitions who will be either better than what we have or who can fit a change in formation, assuming Pearson doesn't continue with 4-3-3.

To me, priorities are another defensive midfielder, a right-footed winger (and I mean winger, not players who start wide but then have a natural inclination to cut inside at the earliest opportunity) and a striker who, barring injury, can be expected to contribute 15-20 goals in a season.

Signings for these 3 positions would provide a lot more flexibility than the current squad gives and increase competition for a starting place amongst those who have been regulars in the last couple of seasons. Matty James, if fit and available could fill the midfield spot, with Nathan Dyer (possibly on loan) providing pace and width. This leaves a striker and conscious that, without selling Will, the transfer budget for the coming campaign is unlikely to be anywhere near what was spent last season, I would look at someone like Nahki Wells.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Too many of the names put forward have been on the basis of possible back-up roles but what we need are acquisitions who will be either better than what we have or who can fit a change in formation, assuming Pearson doesn't continue with 4-3-3.

To me, priorities are another defensive midfielder, a right-footed winger (and I mean winger, not players who start wide but then have a natural inclination to cut inside at the earliest opportunity) and a striker who, barring injury, can be expected to contribute 15-20 goals in a season.

Signings for these 3 positions would provide a lot more flexibility than the current squad gives and increase competition for a starting place amongst those who have been regulars in the last couple of seasons. Matty James, if fit and available could fill the midfield spot, with Nathan Dyer (possibly on loan) providing pace and width. This leaves a striker and conscious that, without selling Will, the transfer budget for the coming campaign is unlikely to be anywhere near what was spent last season, I would look at someone like Nahki Wells.

Agree 100%

17 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Sorry, read elsewhere on here he'd been released.

Point still stands, in your original post you said Bamford was available for £10m, and might be worth it.

Even at the £5m quoted above, he's not worth it.

It seems like a lot now, but it's the one area that the other top teams have splashed out on and it has proved to be rewarding. Nobody wanted to spend £8-9 million on Gray but Burnley went for it and it proved to be worth it. Bamford - if he goes to Newcastle or Aston Villa as he's linked - will probably turn out to be another effective striker, who proves to be worth the high fee.

Simply - we're not paying for what he's done in the past, we're paying for what he can do for us.

For all the money we spent last summer, we still seem hell bent on finding fire power but sticking with the cheaper options, such as Blackman.

Spending big money on someone like Andre Gray or Rhodes would have been a massive risk, but Burnley and boro have proven they are risks worth taking.

We say it every window, but add Ross McCormack to our side and barring injury, I think we could look forward to promotion by next May.

Bamford would be an excellent signing at this level, guaranteed 15 plus goals in a season is not to be sniffed at.

I still expect our striker signings to be Kodija and David Nugent.

A significant amount of money was spent last season and the reward was one more point than the pre-season and a play off place. In my view most of the recruitment was disastrous and constitutes money wasted. If Pearson buys he must also sell or move surplus players on and have a clear idea of how he intends to play.In my view Bamford would be a sound addition provided the likes of Blackman and Bent were moved on.

18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Already got a forward who does that... His name is Chris Martin...

...True...we have Chris Martin...what division will we be in next season?...Now, imagine adding a goalscorer into a team with a goalscorer in it, what do you get? two goal scorers...so when Martin isn't on his game we have another goal scorer to share the burden...imagine having 2 players who score 15 goals each, what do you get? 30 goals in stead of 15...assuming Pearson plays 2 strikers up front we would need another player who can guarantee goals AND play along side Martin...so I go back to my point...Bamford would be a good signing and would almost guarantee 15 goals in a season...

Swindon have rejected a £500k bid for Nicky Ajose from a Championship club according to the beeb.  They've said they rejected it as it doesn't meet their valuation and other Championship teams are interested.  With starting bids that low someone will get a bargain.  No indication it was us but I know he was mentioned a few pages back.

19 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

...True...we have Chris Martin...what division will we be in next season?...Now, imagine adding a goalscorer into a team with a goalscorer in it, what do you get? two goal scorers...so when Martin isn't on his game we have another goal scorer to share the burden...imagine having 2 players who score 15 goals each, what do you get? 30 goals in stead of 15...assuming Pearson plays 2 strikers up front we would need another player who can guarantee goals AND play along side Martin...so I go back to my point...Bamford would be a good signing and would almost guarantee 15 goals in a season...

Personally I think we have at least 1 other 15 goal plus forward in Dazza B... And Blackman has yet to be given game time in his preferred position as one of a front 2... Plus Weimann and Russell consider themselves to be strikers rather than wingers...

I think even if we do go 2 up front next season (which I think with the players we have would be a mistake) we have enough top championship striking talent as it is... Seems a bit of a waste spending money on another striker when the thing we'd desperately need if we went 4 4 2 was some proper wide midfielders (note not saying wingers here)

2 hours ago, Rample said:

Swindon have rejected a £500k bid for Nicky Ajose from a Championship club according to the beeb.  They've said they rejected it as it doesn't meet their valuation and other Championship teams are interested.  With starting bids that low someone will get a bargain.  No indication it was us but I know he was mentioned a few pages back.

Just because he's mentioned on here doesn't mean Derby are interested - you only have to look at some of the loony suggestions.

That's not to say that Ajose isn't  a decent player.

35 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I would love him to come back decent back up for Thorne.

There couple ireland players i likes the looks off grady lad and also hoolahan.

that grady looks tasty.. but would we really drop olsson or fozzy for him?

Archived