OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

The Hull Nigel Pearson would be decent imo, he didn't do that bad a job there and it was mainly the team he built that Bruce took up in 2012-13. 

If he poached Shakespere or Walsh from Leicester than we'd be in good hands.

So basically the two teams that Pearson has left have gone on to good things (Hull and Leicester)...so really we should be asking- who do we want as manager after Pearson?

9 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I just think it's a touch unfair to place all the credit for Nigel Pearson's success at Leicester down to his assistants.

You might as well say his assistants at Hull weren't up to the job, and we should be breaking the bank to appoint the Leicester assistants as our new management duo.

where am I placing all the credit? just a significant amount. Think Clough without Taylor, think both Smith and Fergie without McClaren... I think that Pearson showed solid signs previous to that team being put together, I just think they were the finishing touches.

Sky Bet Championship Winner 16/17 - Win Outright (Not including Hull and Sheff Wed)

Newcastle 5/2

Norwich 9/1

Aston Villa 9/1

Derby 12/1

Brighton 14/1

QPR 20/1

Brentford 20/1

Cardiff 20/1

Wigan 20/1

Preston 25/1

Birmingham 25/1

Leeds 25/1

Huddersfield 25/1

Reading 25/1

Nottingham Forest 25/1

Ipswich 25/1

Would you take the Play Offs now?

6 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

where am I placing all the credit? just a significant amount. Think Clough without Taylor, think both Smith and Fergie without McClaren... I think that Pearson showed solid signs previous to that team being put together, I just think they were the finishing touches.

Is it not possible that Pearson learned the lessons from Hull, and the finishing touches were of his own making.

I'm not saying Pearson is what we need, or even my personal choice, but it seems odd to credit his success significantly to his backroom staff rather than the man himself.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Is it not possible that Pearson learned the lessons from Hull, and the finishing touches were of his own making.

I'm not saying Pearson is what we need, or even my personal choice, but it seems odd to credit his success significantly to his backroom staff rather than the man himself.

just my opinion, not odd at all. I think lack of backup held Nigel Clough back whereas it's widely regarded his father's success was massively credited to Peter Taylor. Why is okay to credit it in some cases, and not in others?

Coaching football is a team effort, and it will be regardless of who the spearhead is. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Pearson does now have the self-awareness of his own strengths and weaknesses, and upon taking his next job will build a backroom staff to equal that he had a Leicester. I just feel (in my waters) that he's a bit too old-school and stubborn for that.

Would it be churlish to point out that Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare were with Nigel Pearson at Hull?

Also, Pearson walked into a club in turmoil at Hull. They'd just been relegated and their owner was trying to sell the club. Pearson was tasked with halving the wage bill and was not allowed to pay any transfer fees. It took him a few months to sort it out. To quote from the BBC on the latter half of the season - 'On Saturday 12 March 2011, Hull set a new record for the club, with 14 away matches unbeaten, breaking a record stretching back over 50 years'

All in all - I'd be very pleased to have the Pearson that was at Hull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Hull_City_A.F.C._season

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

just my opinion, not odd at all. I think lack of backup held Nigel Clough back whereas it's widely regarded his father's success was massively credited to Peter Taylor. Why is okay to credit it in some cases, and not in others?

Coaching football is a team effort, and it will be regardless of who the spearhead is. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that Pearson does now have the self-awareness of his own strengths and weaknesses, and upon taking his next job will build a backroom staff to equal that he had a Leicester. I just feel (in my waters) that he's a bit too old-school and stubborn for that.

Understandable viewpoint, but I don't think he's half as old school and stuck in his ways as is commonly perceived. 

For every seemingly stupid thing he did in that premier league season, I think there was a cold, calculated reason behind it, he's nowhere near the nutter of common perception, in my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Glad you posted that  as was just about to post the question is it not possible that Pearson has a talent for putting his coaching / back room team together in the same way he has an eye for putting a team together on the field?,, yes there is no 100 percent garuantee with anybody but from what I can see Pearson is the best punt , papers ,media and posing fans may not like him but it does seem that the people that work with him produce at a high level,,, I really hope that Mel interviews him and they unpredictably gel and find that they could be the right mix of passion and know how to spark derby county to life,, one things for sure ,Mel would never feel he needed to enter a dressing room to tell players their performance was nt acceptable , he would be secure in the knowledge that he had a manager who was doing that already and putting plans in place to replace players who could not raise their game to required standard ,,, nope the more you think it through its a no brainier ,,, Pearson is the man for us it's just a question of whether Mel knows it

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Wassall and sherwood are both passionate but are not the same!! To say sherwood hasn't got a tactical brain is harsh he was good at spurs you don't get the 2nd highest win rate with just passion

He played Kyle Walker in midfield, because he needed pace in midfield. Genius.

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

http://www.thinkfootball.co.uk/is-aston-villa-manager-tim-sherwood-an-overrated-poundland-jose-mourinho/

Read this if you want a good perspective of his time at Spurs and how out of depth he was.

I've never heard of a Chris Clark so how am I to know that what he is writing a fair and balanced article? That just seems to me like a bitter man who has an issue with  him.

I'm not bigging up Sherwood, im saying that it doesn't always have to be drones and drones of negitive comments. He did have aspects of good at Spurs and he did have aspects of good and Villa, he also had bad, but don't ignore to good to push your agenda 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Sky Bet Championship Winner 16/17 - Win Outright (Not including Hull and Sheff Wed)

Newcastle 5/2

Norwich 9/1

Aston Villa 9/1

Derby 12/1

Brighton 14/1

QPR 20/1

Brentford 20/1

Cardiff 20/1

Wigan 20/1

Preston 25/1

Birmingham 25/1

Leeds 25/1

Huddersfield 25/1

Reading 25/1

Nottingham Forest 25/1

Ipswich 25/1

Would you take the Play Offs now?

I think you also have to factor in that this doesn't include the losers of Saturday's play off final who I guess would be ahead of Derby in the odds for promotion next year. But at least we are ahead of Brighton in the bookies odds which is better than I expected from them. I really don't fancy anyone outside the three relegated teams and the three beaten play off contenders and it seems the bookies agree.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair comment re prospective managers losing confidence in Morris after the Clement saga & the 'Derby way' remarks - a lot of non-Derby fans up here were mystified by all that. That said, compared with Mike Ashley, Fawaz, Cellino & seemingly some less than angelic new owners at Villa - I'm not sure he would particularly stand out as a 'difficult' chairman to work with. Quite the opposite in fact when you look at the financial backing on offer & the fact he actually stated publicly his preference for a style of play over promotion (however true that was). Villa/Newcastle will not accept anything outside of the top 2 & will probably cull any manager who doesn't keep them consistently within 10 points of the top all season.

Much though I like Martinez as a man & his footballing ideology, he isn't what I believe the club needs right now. His pedigree is superior to our status as a club currently (so a danger of him thinking he'd be managing below his true level) & his devotion to a style of play (over results) is a more extreme version of what we've had for 3 years already. Pragmatism is what I think we need - hence why I would like Pearson or Warnock.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Of course compared to Ashley, Al-Hasawi, Tan and Cellino to name some, he doesn't appear a difficult chairman to work for. But those are at the extreme end of the spectrum and because their failings and eccentricities are well-publicised, you'd be fully aware of what you're signing up for - and fully screened for insanity - walking into the job.

With Morris, it is a little more clouded. I would agree that history would indicate that backing will be there for the new manager, not to the extent of 25 million perhaps but still quite significant enough to improve a squad that is already comfortably top six material and not miles away from being top two material.

But at the same time, I suspect maybe Morris will be more reluctant to spend given how badly his fingers were burnt this time and given the perpetually moving goalposts of FFP, it's really hard to say what his approach will be. I just feel his vision is only tangible in his own mind and he seems quite controlling - the insistence on a style of play and a philosophy and the current recruitment set-up might be bones of contention with someone who wants to have autonomy or someone who has their own ideas, values or team of people, that's all I'm saying.

I agree that Villa and Newcastle will see anything other than top 2 as a failure but bar something dramatic, I doubt they will see chopping and changing managers as the way forward. It is a 46-game season and as we've seen, it only takes one good or bad run to change the whole landscape of the division.

Again, it is slim pickings. Martinez wouldn't be my first choice. It would be Hughton. He is level-headed, measured and goes about his job in a poised manner and his range of experiences at the top two levels suggest if you give him time, he will deliver. With Pearson, his volatility and aggressive nature could be both a blessing and a curse with this group of players.

I just think out of those remaining, Martinez's profile seems the most fitting stylistically and most likely to continue the Derby way, which is what I would imagine will appeal most to Mel.

Time and time again people predict that the teams relegated from the Premier league will find life in the Championship a doddle and go straight back up.

It's a long hard season where you underestimate teams at your peril.

I think Newcastle and Aston Villa will struggle again and finish outside of the top three.

I would say  Norwich were best placed to get back up, especially if they can keep their manager.

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Time and time again people predict that the teams relegated from the Premier league will find life in the Championship a doddle and go straight back up.

I think Newcastle and Aston Villa will struggle again and finish outside of the top three.

I would say  Norwich were best placed to get back up, especially if they can keep their manager.

I totally agree, there will be upheaval at those two imo but I think Norwich will retain most of there squad and be in the best position out of the three

35 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Toons have Rafa and the best squad in the division, they also have the biggest budget,  put all 3 together and I reckon certainties for promotion.

Villa, well new owners plus new coach and depends on who the coach is and how much he has got budget wise. It is quite possible it won't  be the same, Villa that relegated.

Norwich if they can keep their current squad they will be there or there abouts come the end of next season.

That gap between the championship  and the prem gets wider each season.

58 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course compared to Ashley, Al-Hasawi, Tan and Cellino to name some, he doesn't appear a difficult chairman to work for. But those are at the extreme end of the spectrum and because their failings and eccentricities are well-publicised, you'd be fully aware of what you're signing up for - and fully screened for insanity - walking into the job.

With Morris, it is a little more clouded. I would agree that history would indicate that backing will be there for the new manager, not to the extent of 25 million perhaps but still quite significant enough to improve a squad that is already comfortably top six material and not miles away from being top two material.

But at the same time, I suspect maybe Morris will be more reluctant to spend given how badly his fingers were burnt this time and given the perpetually moving goalposts of FFP, it's really hard to say what his approach will be. I just feel his vision is only tangible in his own mind and he seems quite controlling - the insistence on a style of play and a philosophy and the current recruitment set-up might be bones of contention with someone who wants to have autonomy or someone who has their own ideas, values or team of people, that's all I'm saying.

I agree that Villa and Newcastle will see anything other than top 2 as a failure but bar something dramatic, I doubt they will see chopping and changing managers as the way forward. It is a 46-game season and as we've seen, it only takes one good or bad run to change the whole landscape of the division.

Again, it is slim pickings. Martinez wouldn't be my first choice. It would be Hughton. He is level-headed, measured and goes about his job in a poised manner and his range of experiences at the top two levels suggest if you give him time, he will deliver. With Pearson, his volatility and aggressive nature could be both a blessing and a curse with this group of players.

I just think out of those remaining, Martinez's profile seems the most fitting stylistically and most likely to continue the Derby way, which is what I would imagine will appeal most to Mel.

Good post & fully agree re Hughton..he'd be an excellent choice had he not recently committed to Brighton. Very under-rated.

Archived