OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

17 minutes ago, Ram79 said:

Can't understand people not wanting Martinez at Derby he is the only name that has even remotely excited me he is an outstanding manager not quite happened at Everton but still more than qualified

If you've ever read any Everton forum posts then you'd know why.

And they've been boring and dull this season.

Still, he has lots of friends in the media.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

We've just had one of our best ever defensive seasons. 

I don't deny that they are good at keeping the ball out of the net, but for me a lot of the time they look very fragile and unconvincing especially against the better teams even if they do eventually manage to get the ball away. Shying away when opposition players take shots, backing off constantly, not closing players down and Keoghs Cruyff turns all worry me. However having said all that they have conceded less goals than they have in a long time, so my opinion doesn't really matter in this regard.

My main point though was that Martinez turned one of the best defensive teams in the league into one of the worst - I also don't believe he has done John Stones development any good. It might be different with us, but I would rather not find out.

40 minutes ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

Perfect example of not even giving the guy a chance before he's walked through the door. Would love to have seen your comments when McClaren was appointed.

Which one are you talking about - Martinez or Giggs? Martinez has had plenty of time to show what he can do and due to that he isn't my first choice for the club. Giggs has never managed a team before and he has very little or noexperience of the championship - we tried that last season - this time I want to try someone who actually has a bit of experience with this league and I don't think that is too unreasonable. In regards to Mclaren despite his England stint I was and still am a fan of his and thought it was great when we appointed him.

I should also say though that the appointment of Jim Smith was widely condemned at the time and look where he got us, so even if I have my own preferences for who I would like as head coach I will always give whoever we appoint a fair chance.

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

If you've ever read any Everton forum posts then you'd know why.

And they've been boring and dull this season.

Still, he has lots of friends in the media.

Still achieved more than Pearson and Sherwood put together

2 hours ago, Ram79 said:

Can't understand people not wanting Martinez at Derby he is the only name that has even remotely excited me he is an outstanding manager not quite happened at Everton but still more than qualified

Even more baffling when we have been repeatedly told that the major attribute required in our new manager is 'experience'.

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Prior to the match on the Saturday I cannot recall anyone slagging the selection given what we had available. 

A few alternative suggestions were put forward eg baird at cdm but without any strident advocacy. 

I would like to apologise for not putting forward Baird at cdm with any strident advocacy. I was clean out of it at the time, HantsRam. :D

7 minutes ago, YouRams said:

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/roberto-martinez/ 

Honestly can't see the fascination with Martinez. Took Swansea up, won the FA Cup with Wigan but also had a 29% win record. And that Everton team on paper should be so much higher than he's taken them. 

I think the same could be applied to any manager we have been linked with at some point during their career, maybe with the exception of Gary Rowett.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think the same could be applied to any manager we have been linked with at some point during their career, maybe with the exception of Gary Rowett.

Yeah suppose he or any manager could come here and it just click, but he's not done enough to warrant the hype I don't think. 

3 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Yeah suppose he or any manager could come here and it just click, but he's not done enough to warrant the hype I don't think. 

His best spell was at Swansea, who I believe he has playing attractive football.

4 hours ago, Highgate said:

I think the Irish players who played in 2012 would like to forget about it too.   O'Neill seems to be enjoying his time as ROI manager, but i have a feeling he would like to return to club management as some stage.  He has spoken highly of Derby County in the past and I'm sure he would see the potential of a return to the Premier League, so i think he would at least seriously consider a move here.  However I'm not sure he is the sort of manager Mel is looking for.  O'Neill's football is typically very direct.

Not really fair to pigeon hole O'Neill's football as "direct" with all it's connotations. Didn't Redknapp say we were taking too long to get the ball forward? One of the first things he changed. O'Neill would be a great choice. People need to get a bit real, you don't get out of this division trying to play like a Barcelona b team.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It was Brendan Rodgers who got Swansea promoted.

Martinez got Swansea promoted to the Championship IIRC. He also jumped ship like a flash for a top flight job.

Yes, he was off like a rat down a drainpipe.

Archived