Favourite retro computer games

SantosHalper

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Forgot about California Games.  I was the bomb at BMX but couldn't master hackie-sack...

Its online , ive just had a go and i was sh......  not very good .

not the same without a joypad

3 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Has anyone mentioned lemmings yet? 

Hey Gypsy,

Actually, I mentioned it in my first post - the one that started this thread! Go back to the first post on page one. You need to look more carefully! (I'm only pulling your leg.)

But seriously, that was one of the few games that characterised by childhood. What a wonderful puzzle game -- the animation was brilliant (eg the flowing green hair of the lemmings, the splat of them falling from a height or getting squished under some horrible obstacle), and it very quickly got very fiendishly difficult. I also loved the references to other Psygnosis games. The Shadow of the Beast levels were nice (oh, and there's a re-make of SotB on the way), and I seem to remember there were others. 

I still have a copy of the PC version (I originally played on the Amiga), but the resolution is so low that its unplayable now. There's a version you can play on a browser, but, again, modern computers are so advanced that its a pain to play. 

But here's the link, if you want to try:

http://www.elizium.nu/scripts/lemmings/

Gypsy - did you play Oh No! More Lemmings and Christmas Lemmings? The little Christmas hats! Lemmings 2 was good, but not a patch on the first. It was so simple and so beautiful and brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Jimmy White's Snooker, them cheeky Fookin balls!

Dino Dini's Kick Off, can't believe no one has mentioned that, coming again on PS4 later this year!

Heard about that. But I hated Kick Off 2. The physics were so bad. The ball just pinged around and was, for me, uncontrollable. But maybe that's because I was awful at KO2, and I loved Sensible Soccer.

Talking about Jimmy White and physics, the physics in that game were amazing. You always got the sense that if you got the angle and strength right, you'd pot the ball. I played it again recently, and its still a good snooker game. 

1 minute ago, AmericanRam said:

Grim Fandango.

Loved this game also,anyone else ever play it?

Yep. 

I know its a classic, but I found the puzzles so obtuse that I couldn't get very far. They're so illogical. Did you ever play the first Broken Sword? Same problem. I mean, why would you make a key out of soap? 

I know that this is a trope of these types of games, but GF went too far. There's recently been a new version of Grim Fandango, so I might give it another go.

(By the way, American Ram, did you understand my earlier comment about finding you disgusting? It was just a Monkey Island joke, just in case you thought I was actually insulting you.)

Just now, SantosHalper said:

Yep. 

I know its a classic, but I found the puzzles so obtuse that I couldn't get very far. They're so illogical. Did you ever play the first Broken Sword? Same problem. I mean, why would you make a key out of soap? 

I know that this is a trope of these types of games, but GF went too far. There's recently been a new version of Grim Fandango, so I might give it another go.

(By the way, American Ram, did you understand my earlier comment about finding you disgusting? It was just a Monkey Island joke, just in case you thought I was actually insulting you.)

Yeah puzzles got to me at first but began to enjoy them.Never played Broken Sword.

No worries mate lol I knew it was a joke.

Lemmings and California Games was brilliant. Took me years to master the surfing and the kicking a sack or what ever it was I got good at that. Wasn't there a roller skate bit too? Amazing I can't remember half of my childhood but I remember most of the games :L!

10 hours ago, AmericanRam said:

Yeah puzzles got to me at first but began to enjoy them.Never played Broken Sword.

No worries mate lol I knew it was a joke.

I have to say that I really hate the updated artstyle of the Monkey Island re-issues. It's a relief that they included the option to play in the old pixel art style.

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I used to have a TDK C90 cassette where I'd tape-to-taped loads of games on to it!

it used to be great didn't it Mostyn, they seemed to be able to combat it then after a while and you would get all the way to the end and find out it hadn't loaded, a bit hit and miss, I then took it on a stage of buying a game, getting it home and taking the screws out and the actual "tape" and swapping it over with a blank cassette and taking it back to the shop and saying it didn't work !! obviously I became well known in the video shops and pc shops in Derby !!! happy days !

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

it used to be great didn't it Mostyn, they seemed to be able to combat it then after a while and you would get all the way to the end and find out it hadn't loaded, a bit hit and miss, I then took it on a stage of buying a game, getting it home and taking the screws out and the actual "tape" and swapping it over with a blank cassette and taking it back to the shop and saying it didn't work !! obviously I became well known in the video shops and pc shops in Derby !!! happy days !

That's pretty sneaky... Well done. 

I found all my spectrum stuff the other day actually, rubber keyboard, tape player and a box full of tapes (mostly copied games) 

i can remember getting a double tape recorder and it revolutionising my life, we would buy games, take them home, copy them on to a C-90 (not forgetting to write down the counter number on the tape for easy access next time) and then put a piece of tape over the holes on the original and blank out a couple of seconds of it  near the start so it wouldn't load....and then return it...First Byte computers across from Way Ahead records and the Army place that got bombed....the dude who used to work in there (and knew our scam) was the singer of the Derby band the Moving Jelly brothers too and is now a councillor apparently..!

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

That's pretty sneaky... Well done. 

I found all my spectrum stuff the other day actually, rubber keyboard, tape player and a box full of tapes (mostly copied games) 

i can remember getting a double tape recorder and it revolutionising my life, we would buy games, take them home, copy them on to a C-90 (not forgetting to write down the counter number on the tape for easy access next time) and then put a piece of tape over the holes on the original and blank out a couple of seconds of it  near the start so it wouldn't load....and then return it...First Byte computers across from Way Ahead records and the Army place that got bombed....the dude who used to work in there (and knew our scam) was the singer of the Derby band the Moving Jelly brothers too and is now a councillor apparently..!

So we all had our own little scams going off even back then ! Deffo remember first byte now you have mentioned, great memory recall muespach as I would never have got the name, great days !!

The start of modern technology taking over our lives and the end of jumpers for goal posts !!

35 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

So we all had our own little scams going off even back then ! Deffo remember first byte now you have mentioned, great memory recall muespach as I would never have got the name, great days !!

The start of modern technology taking over our lives and the end of jumpers for goal posts !!

my dad used to work at Parker Hannifin and his mate used to write games, pretty good ones too. One of them was running the business and trying to win orders and make money without the workers going on strike! lol. I think I even got to sack my dad in the game!

Another thing I used to love about the Spectrum was the scrolling thing where you could type something and it would just scroll the screen!

Used to make my little brother cry by writing "Richard smells of poo" lol.

Been through the entire topic page by page and could find little or no mention of Pitfall 2 : The Lost Caverns.

Even now, 30 + years after it's initial release the music is unforgettable.     Spend many a night in the 80's playing into the early hours trying to complete but once done, would start again and finish two or three times over.

Someone may remember Questron, released on 8-bit format in '84, but there was a glitch in the game once you went into the underground caverns and the game would crash.   Tried to find another copy but to no avail.    Up until that point, and for the other 90 per cent of the game, it was years ahead in terms of entertainment and value for money.

M.U.L.E. was another that was hard to put down.   (Although)  If your mule wasn't inserted into a plot correctly it would run off and cost you time and money, but that minor complaint aside, one of the very best games ever introduced to the public.

Mail Order Monsters was another good one, but it was easy to lose interest after a while.

H.E.R.O has to be included in this also, but as with a number of games of it's time, was prone to error and all too easy to blow yourself up with your own explosive or hit a wall where life force was lost (where there wasn't enough room to maneuver)

What a trip down memory lane some fantastic games mentioned by others. I lost so much of my teenage years playing Elite, never got the elite ranking, could never find the prototype ship in the special missions.

Sensible Soccer was another me and a couple of mates spent days on end playing that, only to have a break for Lotus Turbo 2 on the Amiga, we used to join two Amiga's together for 4 player arguing/fighting!

If anybody's interested in playing the old arcade games google 'mame software' there's plenty of stuff about to emulate the old arcade games on computers/tablets.

Archived